Alfredo Morelos

Argo
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

With Tammy's emergence we have more scope to take a gamble in terms of our next striker and I'm thinking could this guy maybe be worth a go? He's in a lot of people's opinions the best player in the SPL by a distance, not a high bar I know but he's also delivering in Europe with 11 goals in 12 Europa games. Rangers fans I have asked think he's destined for the top.

From what I've seen he's been every bit as good as Moussa Dembele was for Celtic who's now in high demand after further proving himself at Lyon. As we saw with Kieran Tierney even the best player's in Scotland aren't that pricey so should we go for a potential top striker while we can get him on the cheap? as opposed to when he's proved himself at a higher level to which he'd be obscene money.

There is however one elephant in the room with him and that's his discipline, 5 red cards last season (one resinded) but he seems to have knuckled down a bit this season knowing that if he wants a big move he has to sort that out.

Yes he's playing in the SPL this season, but last season some of our best player's this season were playing in the Championship, including our top scorer.

He seems the type of player that could thrive under our current environment and he will be quite cheap for the standards of the modern market aswell (freeing up funds for left back which I'm my opinion is our most urgent need and potentially a marquee signing on the wing), if we desperately needed a new striker I'd probably say he will be a bit too big a gamble however as I said Tammy's emergence means we can afford to take a bit of a left field gamble and I feel this guy could be the real deal.

Here's a scout report about him

https://allabouttherangers.com/analysis/player-analysis/alfredo-morelos-rangers-tactical-analysis-statistics-2

The fact he can also play as a winger gives us even more options and depth as it did when we had Anelka.

Given there's a lot of people who follow Rangers on here also (and alas watching him a lot more frequently than I do) like @carrickblue @Boyne @ChelsbearDo you guys think he's the type that will naturally progress in a higher league ala Dembele or VVD?

Edited by Argo

12 hours ago, Argo said:

With Tammy's emergence we have more scope to take a gamble in terms of our next striker and I'm thinking could this guy maybe be worth a go? He's in a lot of people's opinions the best player in the SPL by a distance, not a high bar I know but he's also delivering in Europe with 11 goals in 12 Europa games. Rangers fans I have asked think he's destined for the top.

From what I've seen he's been every bit as good as Moussa Dembele was for Celtic who's now in high demand after further proving himself at Lyon. As we saw with Kieran Tierney even the best player's in Scotland aren't that pricey so should we go for a potential top striker while we can get him on the cheap? as opposed to when he's proved himself at a higher level to which he'd be obscene money.

There is however one elephant in the room with him and that's his discipline, 5 red cards last season (one resinded) but he seems to have knuckled down a bit this season knowing that if he wants a big move he has to sort that out.

Yes he's playing in the SPL this season, but last season some of our best player's this season were playing in the Championship, including our top scorer.

He seems the type of player that could thrive under our current environment and he will be quite cheap for the standards of the modern market aswell (freeing up funds for left back which I'm my opinion is our most urgent need and potentially a marquee signing on the wing), if we desperately needed a new striker I'd probably say he will be a bit too big a gamble however as I said Tammy's emergence means we can afford to take a bit of a left field gamble and I feel this guy could be the real deal.

https://allabouttherangers.com/analysis/player-analysis/alfredo-morelos-rangers-tactical-analysis-statistics-2

The fact he can also play as a winger gives us even more options and depth as it did when we had Anelka.

Given there's a lot of people who follow Rangers on here also (and alas watching him a lot more frequently than I do) like @carrickblue @Boyne @ChelsbearDo you guys think he's the type that will naturally progress in a higher league ala Dembele or VVD?

Morelos is a fine player and I think he could do well in the Premier League and would be a good player. He is strong and gets stuck in and his goal-scoring record in Scotland and Europe is excellent. I agree with you that he has knuckled down and his disciplinary record has improved.

However, as someone who has followed Rangers as long as I have supported Chelsea and many members of my family support Rangers I wouldn't like Morelos to leave Ibrox this season. He is a key member of the Rangers squad and need his goals to win the title. Rangers don't want Celtic winning another title. If Rangers win the title this season, the party would be incredible. Lots of drinking.

So as you can see, I'm torn on this.

8 hours ago, Boyne said:

Morelos is a fine player and I think he could do well in the Premier League and would be a good player. He is strong and gets stuck in and his goal-scoring record in Scotland and Europe is excellent. I agree with you that he has knuckled down and his disciplinary record has improved.

However, as someone who has followed Rangers as long as I have supported Chelsea and many members of my family support Rangers I wouldn't like Morelos to leave Ibrox this season. He is a key member of the Rangers squad and need his goals to win the title. Rangers don't want Celtic winning another title. If Rangers win the title this season, the party would be incredible. Lots of drinking.

So as you can see, I'm torn on this.

Yeah I was thinking more the summer as opposed to January (unless our hands forced by a rival going all in at that point).

If he can arrive a champion then even better.

Morelos is destined for big things, he’s he most provident striker in the league for many years, more so then Dembelle who’s been banded about for big sums. 

I think a move to Chelsea just now though would be a step too far. He needs to be playing and we have Tammy who is in fine form and don’t set up with two.

I think anclub like Everton or Newcastle will be the kind of move he makes next and from there we will see if he can make the step up.

Hopefully he stays at Rangers though as he by far the best player in Scotland right now.

5 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

Morelos is destined for big things, he’s he most provident striker in the league for many years, more so then Dembelle who’s been banded about for big sums. 

I think a move to Chelsea just now though would be a step too far. He needs to be playing and we have Tammy who is in fine form and don’t set up with two.

I think anclub like Everton or Newcastle will be the kind of move he makes next and from there we will see if he can make the step up.

Hopefully he stays at Rangers though as he by far the best player in Scotland right now.

After doing a bit of research on him, he gets a bit too many red cards. Could be Aurier 2.0

7 hours ago, Chelsbear said:

None this season, he's cut that out his game.

Not trying to disprove you but it's 12 games into the season. I'm very cautious that if he ever comes to us, he'd be targeted especially with City's tactical fouling and with knobheads like Ashley Barnes in the Prem. It'd be the sequel of Costa crimes and the pundits licking their lips trying to get him carded every other match

18 minutes ago, Deino said:

Not trying to disprove you but it's 12 games into the season. I'm very cautious that if he ever comes to us, he'd be targeted especially with City's tactical fouling and with knobheads like Ashley Barnes in the Prem. It'd be the sequel of Costa crimes and the pundits licking their lips trying to get him carded every other match

As someone who watches him every week ( it's not 12 games as Rangers have played around 24 games so far this season with an early European start) he's only been booked a couple of times no sending off's.

He was only 21 last season so he's matured as a footballer this season and you can see that from the stands.

On 11/11/2019 at 19:44, Argo said:

I agree pretty much with @Boyne and @Chelsbear on this. He's a decent goal scorer and he is maturing but if he was to just become a squad filler at Chelsea, I'd rather he stayed with Rangers. 

• 2 weeks later...

I certainly don’t think either giroud or Batman are satisfactory. Tammy could get injured any day and that would stuff the season. Lacazzette ticks a lot of boxes for me but I understand I’m one of the few that thinks this. Depay would be even better and well within CFC budget. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/11/2019 at 08:23, EdinburghBlue said:

Would rather take Odsonne Édouard from Celtic as he’s got a higher ceiling IMO. But considering the way rangers are spending money and not making it back Morelos would be the cheaper option. Still think deep down he’s a bit of a head case deposits his disciplinary record improving.

^^^ This ....

I'd take Edouard over Morelos and Dembele ... he seems much better at scoring from difficult half chances ... which better suits our style of play and how opponents set up against us ...