Players to sell (evergreen "deadwood" thread)

mad_mac

On 07/08/2021 at 19:12, axman2526 said:

Funny how Inter were said to be quite interested in Zappacosta, Alonso and Emerson yet would take none of them in the Lukaku deal.

Those cheapskates probably didnt wanna pay anything more than 5m per player.

We forget that whilst the prem is cash rich, these teams in the other leagues outside of the obvious big teams are all just poor

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/teams/first-team?pageTab=players

That must be the most ridiculous amount of players i've seen in a squad two days away from the season opener. 39 players are currently turning up for first-team training every day at Cobham. Tuchel must have a headache just thinking about it and so must the board considering how much we waste on wages every single week.

4 hours ago, Sindre said:

That must be the most ridiculous amount of players i've seen in a squad two days away from the season opener. 39 players are currently turning up for first-team training every day at Cobham. Tuchel must have a headache just thinking about it and so must the board considering how much we waste on wages every single week.

Indeed. Club are faced with 2 choice, let players go on the cheap compared to how we value them, an example being Emerson who we supposedly want 20mill for with Napoli the highest previous offer at 10mill. Or we end up loaning them and letting their contracts run down. I prefer the former, just get them to move on and take the highest bid we get.

4 hours ago, Sindre said:

To be fair literally 90% of the deadwood have 1 year left on their deals so it's going to be hard negotiating a sale which we want to try to do instead of loaning them out then losing them for free.

1 hour ago, sonic90 said:

To be fair literally 90% of the deadwood have 1 year left on their deals so it's going to be hard negotiating a sale which we want to try to do instead of loaning them out then losing them for free.

Aye just take 2-5mill for them and get them going.

Provided he agrees to the move, Tammy would take our sales total up to around 87mill

Tomori - 25mill

Guhri - 18mill

Livramento - 5mill

Bate - 1.5mill

Simyu - 2mill

Myles H-P 1.5mill

Tammy 34mill

Now if only we can ship out Barkley, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Batman, Baka etc as well.

1 hour ago, axman2526 said:

Provided he agrees to the move, Tammy would take our sales total up to around 87mill

Tomori - 25mill

Guhri - 18mill

Livramento - 5mill

Bate - 1.5mill

Simyu - 2mill

Myles H-P 1.5mill

Tammy 34mill

Now if only we can ship out Barkley, Zappacosta, Drinkwater, Batman, Baka etc as well.

Plus Giroud.  Agree on the remaining players - will be last min scramble or most likely a whole host of loans. 

1 hour ago, PhilH930 said:

Plus Giroud.  Agree on the remaining players - will be last min scramble or most likely a whole host of loans. 

yeah dont see many takers on permanent for these not even in a clearout sale. 

1 hour ago, Jangz said:

this market is soo difficult with only 3-4 clubs having money. the only players we have moved on are two squad players and a few promising youngsters. Actual deadwood continues to be here.

Yep… But there is a silver lining in that most of this deadwood, their contracts end in 2022 so only 1 more year of holding onto this as I doubt anyone is going to buy them. 

Players with contracts ending in 2022:

Emerson, Zappacosta, Rahman, Miazga, Clarke-Salter, Bakayoko, Barkley, Drinkwater, Baker, Batshuayi, Musonda

That is a huge list and pretty much is every deadwood player we have. I think we just grit our teeth for another 10 months or so and then wave goodbye end of the season. Just hoping Marina doesn’t do something stupid and offer extensions just for the sake of trying to sell them for more money, because nobody is going to buy them, we’ve been trying to sell these for years and nothing has come of it

45 minutes ago, junkymunky said:

Yep… But there is a silver lining in that most of this deadwood, their contracts end in 2022 so only 1 more year of holding onto this as I doubt anyone is going to buy them. 

Emerson, Zappacosta, Rahman, Miazga, Clarke-Salter, Bakayoko, Barkley, Drinkwater, Baker, Batshuayi, Musonda

That is a huge list and pretty much is every deadwood player we have. I think we just grit our teeth for another 10 months or so and then wave goodbye end of the season. Just hoping Marina doesn’t do something stupid and offer extensions just for the sake of trying to sell them for more money, because nobody is going to buy them, we’ve been trying to sell these for years and nothing has come of it

You can bet your life as soon as we let them go other clubs will move in, not your top drawer clubs yet second or third tier to offer most of them a short contract.

Covid is beginning to hit and football has a difficult few years ahead. There is no market for our squad players for the contracts they are on most teams won't want them and can't afford them. Inter having a fire sale, Barca in financial trouble others will follow who's going to buy the likes of Baka, or Drinkwater etc at the moment obscene wages for average players going to be a lot of Winston Bogarde's at Chelsea and other clubs just running down their contracts 

Edited by bluehaze

3 hours ago, junkymunky said:

I get us trying to get the best fee we can, but it does leave me to wonder if Napoli really did offer us 12mill euros for Emerson, for example, why did we turn it down and ask for 20mill when we have 3 LWB in the squad and Emerson has one year left on his deal?

For the list you put up I would be happy getting 5mill per player and the only 2 I would have small hope for getting 10mill or maybe a touch more for are Emerson and Barkley.

2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

You can bet your life as soon as we let them go other clubs will move in, not your top drawer clubs yet second or third tier to offer most of them a short contract.

100% they will cause a few of these players were actually wanted by other clubs but just didnt wanna pay much. Now that they’ll end up free agents they’ll be licking their lips.

I can see Emerson and Bakayoko getting snapped up very quickly as they were always wanted by a few different italian clubs

1 minute ago, axman2526 said:

I get us trying to get the best fee we can, but it does leave me to wonder if Napoli really did offer us 12mill euros for Emerson, for example, why did we turn it down and ask for 20mill when we have 3 LWB in the squad and Emerson has one year left on his deal?

For the list you put up I would be happy getting 5mill per player and the only 2 I would have small hope for getting 10mill or maybe a touch more for are Emerson and Barkley.

Its funny because Im sure I saw reports that Napoli and AC Milan offered about 20m for Bakayoko but we rejected them because we wanted 30m… We should be thankful they offered anything above 20k let alone 20m!!

It is quite strange business though, I think we just got too greedy wanting as much money as possible and in the end ended up with nothing.

Next summer could potentially be huge though, as we will be freeing up an absolute ton of wages from who we’re set to lose

Staring down the barrel of a £180M outlay on transfer fees reducing to £0M ... if we are lucky then the various loan fees over the years might have offset their wages while they have been with us, but I doubt it.

Rahman 23.4  
Miazga 4.1  
Zappacosta 22.5  
Drinkwater 34.1  
Bakayoko 36.0  
Barkley 15.1  
Musonda 2.3  
Kenedy 7.2  
Batshuayi 35.1  

3 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Staring down the barrel of a £180M outlay on transfer fees reducing to £0M ... if we are lucky then the various loan fees over the years might have offset their wages while they have been with us, but I doubt it.

Rahman 23.4  
Miazga 4.1  
Zappacosta 22.5  
Drinkwater 34.1  
Bakayoko 36.0  
Barkley 15.1  
Musonda 2.3  
Kenedy 7.2  
Batshuayi 35.1  

What horrendous business.. I believe the majority were Conte signings as well? The expensive ones anyway

Miazga, Musonda and Kenedy were cheap ones and I think loan fees would have made back the majority of the money we paid for them

Barkley for 15m in the grand scheme of things I’d say was worth it, he was good for us at times, scored a few important goals and I think with his loan fees would have made up what we spent on him overall. Batshuayi is similar, except he was a worse player and we definitely lost more money on him

Bakayoko, as horrible as he was, actually got good loan fees I think over the years and we can still potentially sell him for 15 odd mill with a couple Italian clubs interested. 

Drinkwater on the other hand…. Absolutely horrible, I dont think we made any money at all even from loan fees and his resale value is 0

If we’re extremely lucky, we’ll sell a couple for cheap at recoup around 30m in total, rest of them will just run down their contracts and get released next summer

6 hours ago, junkymunky said:

What horrendous business.. I believe the majority were Conte signings as well? The expensive ones anyway

Miazga, Musonda and Kenedy were cheap ones and I think loan fees would have made back the majority of the money we paid for them

Barkley for 15m in the grand scheme of things I’d say was worth it, he was good for us at times, scored a few important goals and I think with his loan fees would have made up what we spent on him overall. Batshuayi is similar, except he was a worse player and we definitely lost more money on him

Bakayoko, as horrible as he was, actually got good loan fees I think over the years and we can still potentially sell him for 15 odd mill with a couple Italian clubs interested. 

Drinkwater on the other hand…. Absolutely horrible, I dont think we made any money at all even from loan fees and his resale value is 0

If we’re extremely lucky, we’ll sell a couple for cheap at recoup around 30m in total, rest of them will just run down their contracts and get released next summer

I know it is wrong to suggest but one got a feeling that Conte was trying to get fired by the end.. it was the inter situation again where the moment he didnt get his way he threw his toys out of the pram.. along with ME signed some horrendous players and set us back as a club in a way.

As people have already said the loan fees do help and in most cases the top clubs do take over 100 % of the wages.

championship clubs can’t afford 100% of wages,  but they give young players the chance to show what they can do.   I think that evens out the money side of things.

1 hour ago, Jangz said:

I know it is wrong to suggest but one got a feeling that Conte was trying to get fired by the end.. it was the inter situation again where the moment he didnt get his way he threw his toys out of the pram.. along with ME signed some horrendous players and set us back as a club in a way.

I actually wouldnt even be surprised if that were the case. No manager would have paid 35m for Drinkwater on a 5 year deal on 100k a week... Its genuinely bonkers. 

He definitely set the club back a few years with his behaviour, and only at the end of this season we will rid of all remnants of his tenure. 

Quite impressed with the way we are clearing the deck currently. With Abraham to Roma we are approaching £100 million in sales and deals for Batshuayi and Bakayoko are looking likely to be completed this week which will give additional funds.