Players to sell (evergreen "deadwood" thread)

mad_mac

On 21/07/2021 at 08:05, Sexyfootball said:

Livramento to Brighton must mean they are selling Lamptey, as otherwise it doesn't make much sense 🙂

Looks like he has decided on Southampton. 5mill, I would assume with at least a sell on built in as well.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2021/8/1/22605026/southampton-chelsea-agree-5m-transfer-for-valentino-livramento-report

8 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Looks like he has decided on Southampton. 5mill, I would assume with at least a sell on built in as well.

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/chelsea-fc-transfer-rumours-news/2021/8/1/22605026/southampton-chelsea-agree-5m-transfer-for-valentino-livramento-report

I am in two minds on this

There clearly is a pathway from academy to first team . It’s possible that the following players who graduated through the academy will be in the 21/22 squad

James

Mount

RLC

Christensen

CHO

Possibly you also will have Chaloba, Broja , Ziger Anjorin & Abraham

To be honest that really is a major plus in terms of squad make up and I doubt that many PL clubs will get close to that number of homegrown players 

But on the other hand you have a group of players who clearly aren’t prepared to test their undoubted potential and clearly don’t see that they are up for the challenge.

So it’s a no brainier if players aren’t prepared to sign new deals then squeeze every £ you can out of them moving on.

These youngsters will point toward Lamptey as justification but for every Lamptey there are is a Solanke.

Edited by terraloon

1 hour ago, terraloon said:

There clearly is a pathway from academy to first team . It’s possible that the following players who graduated through the academy will be in the 21/22 squad

James

Mount

RLC

Christensen

CHO

To be honest that really is a major plus in terms of squad make up and I doubt that many PL clubs will get close to that number of homegrown players 

But on the other hand you have a group of players who clearly aren’t prepared to test their undoubted potential and clearly don’t see that they are up for the challenge.

So it’s a no brainier if players aren’t prepared to sign new deals then squeeze every £ you can out of them moving on.

These youngsters will point toward Lamptey as justification but for every Lamptey there are is a Solanke.

Its a difficult one - since there are some like Ampadu who have also gotten lost. 

Livramento about to be sold to Southampton for ÂŁ5 million.

Crucially we have a buy-back clause and a sell-on fee though. Buy-back in the region of ÂŁ30 million it seems so if he reaches his potential that could be a steal in the future.

2 hours ago, terraloon said:

James

Mount

RLC

Christensen

CHO

Unfortunately when you have so many coming through some will slip through the net. Although they got most of them back eventually Barca in peak La Masia days had the same "issue's" which caused Cesc, Pique, Reina, Thiago, Alba etc to look elsewhere.

Victim of our own success!

12 hours ago, Argo said:

Unfortunately when you have so many coming through some will slip through the net. Although they got most of them back eventually Barca in peak La Masia days had the same "issue's" which caused Cesc, Pique, Reina, Thiago, Alba etc to look elsewhere.

I don't mind that the youngsters want to go as long as we make sure we have buy back options in place or sell clauses, I'm more concerned with the lack of signings and the amount of high paid deadwood still around....

The following can be sold in my opinion. I would take pretty much any bid and just get them out, rather than waste time loaning them out again looking for a few extra quid:

Baba
Sarr
Ampadu
Miazga
Emerson
Clarke-Salter
Zappacosta
Baker
Barkley
Drinkwater
Bakayoko
Kenedy
Batshayui
Musonda

The only one we've seen in pre-season who I would consider loaning out would be:

Anjorin

Not sure about:

Lofuts-Cheek - If push came to shove, I would probably sell.

Edited by Zeta

Too many deadwood players who wouldn’t get any minutes even in a friendly at any other top club, they would probably have a team of promising youngsters.

We are still feeling the effects of bad recruitment, we either have to lower our asking prices for them or accept they’ll be here or on loan until their contracts run out.

1 hour ago, Zeta said:

The following can be sold in my opinion. I would take pretty much any bid and just get them out, rather than waste time loaning them out again looking for a few extra quid:

Baba
Sarr
Ampadu
Miazga
Emerson
Clarke-Salter
Zappacosta
Baker
Barkley
Drinkwater
Bakayoko
Kenedy
Batshayui
Musonda

The only one we've seen in pre-season who I would consider loaning out would be:

Anjorin

Not sure about:

I thought Ampadu did well in a very young and inexperienced back 3 with Houdini wing backs that vanished in to thin air. He was the only player to get a yellow card in a friendly against Spuds - POTY material!

Didn’t like the shape of the team second half tonight. Watching at the game we had no width going forward, only using the full backs to cross.

This led to being open at the back when we lost the ball/ given away.  The loaned players coming back didn’t do themselves any favours. The young need minutes at other clubs without the pressure of playing for Chelsea. The others can all go.

4 hours ago, Zeta said:

Baba - 5mill
Sarr -8mill
Ampadu - Keep
Miazga - 5mill
Emerson - 10mill
Clarke-Salter - 2mill
Zappacosta - 5mill
Baker - 2mill
Barkley - 12mill
Drinkwater - free
Bakayoko - free
Kenedy - 5mill
Batshayui - 5mill
Musonda - Free

Anjorin - Agreed

Not sure about:

Lofuts-Cheek - 15mill

Agree with all that bar Ampadu. Worth him having a year with TT. 74mill for that lot of garbage would be great and possible I think. 

We have been asking too much for the likes of Emerson, Zappacosta, Kenedy and Baka otherwise they would have gone already.

9 hours ago, Zeta said:

Baba
Sarr
Ampadu
Miazga
Emerson
Clarke-Salter
Zappacosta
Baker
Barkley
Drinkwater
Bakayoko
Kenedy
Batshayui
Musonda

Anjorin

Not sure about:

Broadly speaking, I think you could have written that at the beginning of any of the last three seasons, and therein lies the problem ... we can hardly even give these players away, let alone have anyone pay the fees that Marina wants for them ... will be very interesting to see how many we can actually clear out ...

3 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Broadly speaking, I think you could have written that at the beginning of any of the last three seasons, and therein lies the problem ... we can hardly even give these players away, let alone have anyone pay the fees that Marina wants for them ... will be very interesting to see how many we can actually clear out ...

Most of them must be approaching the end of their contracts by now. I just hope we don't continue to extend them in the hopes of selling them for a tiny bit more. 

With the changes to the loan system, we can only loan out a smaller number of players now. So we need to pick wisely who we keep on contract and loan out, and who we just get rid of. Most of those players I listed, I don't see any point in keeping. 

Disagree with others on Ampadu. I don't think he's really made any progress since he came here. He's ok with the ball, but still wild and rash with challenges and really nothing special at all.

52 minutes ago, Adamrb said:

TT said we had 42 players in the building! That shows how disjointed the squad building has been over the years

That is just ridiculous; we presently have 4 LBs. Might be a reason why the youngsters are moving on. It is one thing to be trying to get noticed if there are 30 players, how do you a manager’s attention when there are 40+ players in preseason?

6 hours ago, ducavis said:

That is just ridiculous; we presently have 4 LBs. Might be a reason why the youngsters are moving on. It is one thing to be trying to get noticed if there are 30 players, how do you a manager’s attention when there are 40+ players in preseason?

Harsh as it may sound i would rather have a B group training with under 23s.. 

10 hours ago, Zeta said:

Disagree with others on Ampadu. I don't think he's really made any progress since he came here. He's ok with the ball, but still wild and rash with challenges and really nothing special at all.

I agree. Ampadu is currently running a poor second to Trevoh Chalobah in the "promising centre back/defensive midfielder" spot ....

On 02/08/2021 at 19:55, Argo said:

They also had Gio dos Santos (the Mexican Messi), Munir, Bojan Krkic (the Serbian Messi), Oriol Romeu, Cristian Tello, Oriol Riera, Adama Traore , Marc Muniesa, Jeffren Suarez, Marc Bartra, Gerard Delofeu, Isaac Cuenca...etc - shows you often have to trawl through a lot of fool's gold before you strike the real thing.

Barcelona's success in youth integration should also not be limited to their obvious stars, but the fact they (used to) produce high-quality role players who became the backbone of their success - Pedro, Oleguer, Thiago Motta etc. I hope that someone like Conor Gallagher or Ethan Ampadu would stick around to be that sort of player in our squad.

Edited by SydneyChelsea

12 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

They also had Gio dos Santos (the Mexican Messi), Munir, Bojan Krkic (the Serbian Messi), Oriol Romeu, Cristian Tello, Oriol Riera, Adama Traore , Marc Muniesa, Jeffren Suarez, Marc Bartra, Gerard Delofeu, Isaac Cuenca...etc - shows you often have to trawl through a lot of fool's gold before you strike the real thing.

Barcelona's success in youth integration should also not be limited to their obvious stars, but the fact they (used to) produce high-quality role players who became the backbone of their success - Pedro, Oleguer, Thiago Motta etc. I hope that someone like Conor Gallagher or Ethan Ampadu would stick around to be that sort of player in our squad.

Good post 

On 05/08/2021 at 11:36, Zeta said:

Since his new haircut i would say. 

35 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Funny how Inter were said to be quite interested in Zappacosta, Alonso and Emerson yet would take none of them in the Lukaku deal.

Probably because they never had any intention of signing any of them, and would prefer cash for Lukaku.  Their interest probably still exists, only in the form of the standard Italian loan.