Players to sell (evergreen "deadwood" thread)

mad_mac

Seen a few of these ideas floating around in various threads, so figured I'd bring it into one thread here.

I think we will see quite a few more signings (I am not banking on Havertz yet, but really hope we get that deal over the line).

With regards to this thread, lets assume that Ziyech, Werner, and Kai are all Chelsea players, and we've used up the Eden and Morata money.  I think we still need to attract a CB, LB, and GK (although something tells me due to the price tags of Oblak and what we paid for Kepa, we will see Kepa as our #1 next season...not what I want, just a hunch that we'll try shore up defence first).

Who can we sell, and what prices are we getting for them (NB, I am taking massively wild guesses on fees here)?

Drinkwater: never should have been bought.  At most we get 20M

Bakayoko: Seems to be doing ok back at Monaco but like DD I think we get 20M for him?

Emerson: decent but never amazing: 25M

Zappacosta: Another terrible 2017 transfer. 15M

Moses: Excelled under Conte and an option for his loan to be a permanent signing at the end of this season.  Unsure what his fee would be

Jorginho: A Sarri player who I feel has been in Franks team recently out of necessity more than merit.  Could see Sarri spending on him, maybe about 40M

Christensen:  Decent, youth product, but an area we need to upgrade and could see him being the player sold: 20M range also

I think that gives us a decent little "War chest" to then go after 3 critical areas.  It's also a model which, to me, means in no way will we spend massively on Chilwell or Oblak

I think our players might go differently, don't like the thread title of deadwood as for me it shows disrespect.

Anyhow some for me realistic thoughts given the current climate;

• Emerson close to £20m, realize we are asking more yet we depend on the market.
  • Drinkwater - forget it, his reputation is ruined unless he drops a league, perhaps let him go if he agrees.
  • Bakayoko agree £20m seems reasonable though we might not reach that high.
  • Zappacosta think close to £10m is realistic he has hardly played for a season.
  • Moses - no likely takers just another loan for me.
  • Jorginho - Juventus seem interested in a swap and possibly we might we do player swap plus cash. Perhaps Ramsey + £20m and move on Barkley £15-£20m or RLC £10-15 (injury history)
  • Christensen - I think we might get £25-£30m.
  • You didn't mention Kepa, think a Spanish club might pay £30m.

3 hours ago, mad_mac said:

Seen a few of these ideas floating around in various threads, so figured I'd bring it into one thread here.

I think we will see quite a few more signings (I am not banking on Havertz yet, but really hope we get that deal over the line).

With regards to this thread, lets assume that Ziyech, Werner, and Kai are all Chelsea players, and we've used up the Eden and Morata money.  I think we still need to attract a CB, LB, and GK (although something tells me due to the price tags of Oblak and what we paid for Kepa, we will see Kepa as our #1 next season...not what I want, just a hunch that we'll try shore up defence first).

Who can we sell, and what prices are we getting for them (NB, I am taking massively wild guesses on fees here)?

Bakayoko: Seems to be doing ok back at Monaco but like DD I think we get 20M for him?

Moses: Excelled under Conte and an option for his loan to be a permanent signing at the end of this season.  Unsure what his fee would be

Jorginho: A Sarri player who I feel has been in Franks team recently out of necessity more than merit.  Could see Sarri spending on him, maybe about 40M

Christensen:  Decent, youth product, but an area we need to upgrade and could see him being the player sold: 20M range also

I think that gives us a decent little "War chest" to then go after 3 critical areas.  It's also a model which, to me, means in no way will we spend massively on Chilwell or Oblak

Wait a second - 20m for Drinkwater? It will be considered good business if we get anywhere close to 10m, and even less.

Personally I’d keep Victor Moses. He’s a great wingback, would be a good option to have abit like Alonso.

Drinkwater - 5m

Bakayoko - 20m

Emerson - 25m

Zappacosta - 10m

Jorginho - 50m

Christensen - 40m

Kepa - 40m

I know the prices are high for Christensen and Kepa, but it’s not cheap to buy a young centre back with big potential. Christensen would do really well in a less physical league. Kepa, as shocking as he has been, still is Spain’s no 1 and it’s possible he could end up being world class as hard as that is to believe.

I don’t think I need to explain about Jorginho, he’s a class player. Unfortunately not suitable for Lampard.

25 minutes ago, mwblue10 said:

Wait a second - 20m for Drinkwater? It will be considered good business if we get anywhere close to 10m, and even less.

Best we can hope for on Drinkwater is that someone will keep taking him on loan to subsidize his wages until his contract runs out. 

His contract will ensure he's never sold. 

Now it's just about saving millions on wages. 

4 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I think our players might go differently, don't like the thread title of deadwood as for me it shows disrespect.

THat's why I put "deadwood" in quotations, because we always seem to have a "deadwood" thread each year.  I'm not suggesting they are.

4 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Anyhow some for me realistic thoughts given the current climate;

• Emerson close to £20m, realize we are asking more yet we depend on the market.
  • Drinkwater - forget it, his reputation is ruined unless he drops a league, perhaps let him go if he agrees.
  • Bakayoko agree £20m seems reasonable though we might not reach that high.
  • Zappacosta think close to £10m is realistic he has hardly played for a season.
  • Moses - no likely takers just another loan for me.
  • Jorginho - Juventus seem interested in a swap and possibly we might we do player swap plus cash. Perhaps Ramsey + £20m and move on Barkley £15-£20m or RLC £10-15 (injury history)
  • Christensen - I think we might get £25-£30m.
  • You didn't mention Kepa, think a Spanish club might pay £30m.

I didn't include Kepa because I mentioned in the post that I think we are stuck with him.  However, agree with your assessment that if we do sell him it will likely be to Spain for less than half we paid for him.

1 hour ago, mwblue10 said:

I did say "at most." And I maybe padded a little given the English side of things.

i think for a change most people seem to agree on most of the players. I do not know about deadwood,  i would rather call the below as surplus to requirements. Also think COVID will mean we will get lower transfer fees for them in this market

1. DD - lucky if gets sold at all, i think he will be on loans till his contract runs out.
  2. Bakayako - 15-20 Million
  3. Ross Barkley/RLC  --> i dont think we will keep both in the squad --> 30 Mil
  4. Emerson - 15-20 Mil
  5. Zappacosta - ACL injury will cut his value --> 10-15 Mil
  6. Moses - 5-10 Mil
  7. Gallagher - 10-15 Mil
  8. Rudiger - 20-25 Mil

Barkley €25m
Jorginho €40m
Emerson €25m
Batshuayi €25m
Kepa €40m
=€155m

Rahman €8m
Bakayoko €30m
Zappacosta €10m
Drinkwater €10m
Kenedy €8m
Moses €12m
Musonda €10m
=€88m

=€243m

I realize this won't happen but I, just threw this here [emoji16]

It is a buyers market due to Covid19 so Marina would do so well to move some of our failed buys/players.

We've never seen a 'complete overhaul' and I don't think we see it this summer either.

13 hours ago, mad_mac said:

In no way in hell are we getting anywhere near 20m for Drinkwater, we'd be lucky to get 5m!

Edited by driller97

2 hours ago, evissy said:

Barkley €25m
Jorginho €40m
Emerson €25m
Batshuayi €25m
Kepa €40m
=€155m

Rahman €8m
Bakayoko €30m
Zappacosta €10m
Drinkwater €10m
Kenedy €8m
Moses €12m
Musonda €10m
=€88m

=€243m

I realize this won't happen but I, just threw this here emoji16.png

It is a buyers market due to Covid19 so Marina would do so well to move some of our failed buys/players.

We've never seen a 'complete overhaul' and I don't think we see it this summer either.

This is what we all hope for, but its very unlikely to happen. If we can even manage selling half the players you've listed, we'd have done really well!

I would also probably keep Jorginho and loan out Kepa, but the rest can all go

Despite Chelsea securing players early I think among others the transfer market will be subdued this window. Funds are low and maybe some players just don't want to move abroad right now. I realize some clubs will be looking to sell to raise funds but I would be surprised to see the total market go over the usual £750m net spend.

The timing of the transfer ban and the sale of Hazard and Morata has been good for Chelsea's chances in the market because they now have a war chest when other clubs will be looking at a reduced transfer kitty. We may have blown most of that already but we didn't buy in the last two windows and the long term business plan would have included a transfer budget for both of these windows. I think there is bit more cash in the coffers just yet but selling players at this time isn't such a good idea. Their value may well increase when Covid is dwindling so maybe holding onto them isn't such a bad idea.

If I were to sell I wouldn't sell the crown jewels right now unless a stupid offer came in for Jorginho. The closest I would go is letting Willian go. I know he has been one of our better players this year but we might get £20-30m for him and if that helps us get a top keeper then so be it. Willian seems to be after a three year deal and the risk that his legs will go before then is just a bit too much for me. 

I also don't like the term "deadwood" but the closest thing we have to that is Drinkwater who we should let go on a free to get him off the wage bill. 

Edited by Andy North

Current first team:

• Kepa loan out
  • Christensen 25-30m
  • Zouma 25-30m
  • Emerson 20-25m
  • Barkley 15-20m
  • Kante 70m
  • Batshuayi 15-20m

Total: 170-195m

Loan players:

• Moses 5m
  • Musonda 5m
  • Clarke-Salter 5m
  • Miazga 5m
  • Baker 5m
  • Drinkwater 500k at best
  • Zappacosta 10m
  • Bakayoko 25-30m
  • Kenedy 5m

Total: 60-65m

Combined we can make almost another 250m potentially, but of course the chances of that happening is very low. But if we can even manage to sell half of this we have done pretty damn well. Using the money can easily afford to buy Tagliafico as he's only being valued at 25-30m.

Then we use the rest of the money to spend on a top GK and CB.

4 minutes ago, Andy North said:

Despite Chelsea securing players early I think among others the transfer market will be subdued this window. Funds are low and maybe some players just don't want to move abroad right now. I realize some clubs will be looking to sell to raise funds but I would be surprised to see the total market go over the usual £750m net spend.

The timing of the transfer ban and the sale of Hazard and Morata has been good for Chelsea's chances in the market because they now have a war chest when other clubs will be looking at a reduced transfer kitty. We may have blown most of that already but we didn't buy in the last two windows and the long term business plan would have included a transfer budget for both of these windows. I think there is bit more cash in the coffers just yet but selling players at this time isn't such a good idea. Their value may well increase when Covid is dwindling so maybe holding onto them isn't such a bad idea.

If I were to sell I wouldn't sell the crown jewels right now unless a stupid offer came in for Jorginho. The closest I would go is letting Willian go. I know he has been one of our better players this year but we might get £20-30m for him and if that helps us get a top keeper then so be it. Willian seems to be after a three year deal and the risk that his legs will go before then is just a bit too much for me. 

I also don't like the term "deadwood" but the closest thing we have to that is Drinkwater who we should let go on a free to get him off the wage bill. 

Selling a few players of our loan list which don't have high value anyway won't make a difference and we should as soon as we can, there's still a fair amount we can raise from them and use the funds to fund a move for Tagliafico

Current first team:

• Kepa 40m - Spain no1
  • Christensen 40m - Big potential
  • Emerson 25m - Brazilian fullback
  • Barkley 25m - English tax
  • Batshuayi 20m - Still fairly young

Total: 150m

Loan players:

• Moses 10m
  • Musonda 5m
  • Clarke-Salter 5m
  • Miazga 5m
  • Baker 5m
  • Drinkwater 5m
  • Zappacosta 10m
  • Bakayoko 30m
  • Kenedy 5m

Total: 80m

WAR CHEST £230m

Chilwell £50m, Onana £30m, Van Dijk £150m

Obviously Van Dijk was a joke but that still leaves us 150m. Even without Kepa sale, still 110m. If only it were this simple. Plus you wouldn’t put it past Marina to sell one of our 5m players for 20m.

Edited by dansubrosa

The problem we have is asking too much for these players.   Its a list of failed transfers and youth players that haven't made the cut they aren't going to magically increase in value the longer we keep them.   I would prefer it if we take a bit less just to reduce the squad size and endlessly loaning out players we have no intention of using.  I fear some of these are going to run down their contacts and leave for nothing anyway so best to just cash in while we can.  Having said that from that list we shouldn't have too much problem selling Bakayoko and Emerson, a few rumours of interest flying about them two. Bats and Barkley should be easy sells if we choose to cash in.  Thats possibly £80-100m we could spend on a couple of good players.  

22 minutes ago, DarkMata said:

The problem we have is asking too much for these players.   Its a list of failed transfers and youth players that haven't made the cut they aren't going to magically increase in value the longer we keep them.   I would prefer it if we take a bit less just to reduce the squad size and endlessly loaning out players we have no intention of using.  I fear some of these are going to run down their contacts and leave for nothing anyway so best to just cash in while we can.  Having said that from that list we shouldn't have too much problem selling Bakayoko and Emerson, a few rumours of interest flying about them two. Bats and Barkley should be easy sells if we choose to cash in.  Thats possibly £80-100m we could spend on a couple of good players.  

Agree, no point in just keeping them on for the sake of it and losing them on a free in a few years... Much better to just cash in as soon as possible. But the quality, or lack there of, of the players we have that need to be sold is pretty low.

The way I see it, for every 3 players we can sell, we can probably afford to buy 1 decent one. If we sell a few of our current first team players and bakayoko we'll raise around 100m and we can spend that on a top CB and LB.

Small sales of players without any future at the club, should be done fast:

Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Kenedy, Zappacosta, Batshuayi, Moses. Should be around 60-80m.

First team sales, should be easy enough:

Emerson, Christensen. Should be around 40-50m.

First team, to consider selling:

Alonso, Barkley. 50-60m, these players haven't been good as backups and have had their share of occasional great games but ultimately they are not good enough against the very top opposition.

First team problematic sales:

Kepa, Kante, Jorginho.. Big contracts and hard to find a buyer for the price that we would want to get.

Note that it's not optimal to sell too many first team players but we are getting back Ampadu that could cover for CB and DMF position, Gilmour to get more playtime as well. If we sell just the first 2 rows we should get at least 100m which is enough for a new LB and it would pay half of transfer fee of Havertz. We would still need a new keeper and CB. 

Edited by Gol15

1 hour ago, driller97 said:

Agree, no point in just keeping them on for the sake of it and losing them on a free in a few years... Much better to just cash in as soon as possible. But the quality, or lack there of, of the players we have that need to be sold is pretty low.

The way I see it, for every 3 players we can sell, we can probably afford to buy 1 decent one. If we sell a few of our current first team players and bakayoko we'll raise around 100m and we can spend that on a top CB and LB.

How much are we asking for them?

Very optimistic with some of those fees there Scott!

I also take personal offence to Moses being lumped in with the 'deadwood' considering he is the greatest right wing-back in Premier League history (not counting the 90s when ridiculous people like McManaman or Anderton were played in that area).

I'm not sure we can be particularly confident of any of the players we no longer have any use for bringing in any kind of transfer fee:

Batshuayi - Largely useless at multiple clubs across the continent (bar Dortmund), not fancied by three consecutive Chelsea managers, one year left on his contract. Probably released on a free. £0m

Emerson - Despite Frank having the ability (and tendency) to resurrect players from the metaphorical graveyard it seems fairly clear that he doesn't fancy Emerson, it also seems that he isn't good enough to consistently start as the leftmost man in a back four. Seems to be attracting some attention from Serie A. I imagine the best we can hope for is our money back. £10m (optimistically)

Zappacosta - Returning from a nine-month injury. Who knows what state he's in? £?m

Piazon - Hasn't played for us in eight years. Hasn't played more than 20 games for a top-flight side in five. God knows what his current contract status is. He's probably our longest-serving player. Could try and spin him as a youngster despite the fact he's 26. £0m

Drinkwater - Clearing something wrong in his head, was a decent player in his day. I hope we can get him the help he needs - considering the man was a key part of the side who prevented Tottenham and Arsenal from winning the league, we owe him. £0m, likely a loss.

Musonda - Injured a lot. Hopefully he comes through it. Hopefully we support him. £0m, likely a loss.

van Ginkel - Injured a lot. Hopefully he comes through it. Hopefully we support him. Apparently good at PSV. £?m

Rahman - Genuinely forgot he played for us. Has started 22 league games since he left five seasons ago. Two years left on his contract, is also 26. £0m.