Frenkie De Jong, not a rumour but apparently for sale

ozboy

2 hours ago, LongtimerLurker said:

Lots of sources reporting Frankie was the main topic of discussion and Barca encouraged us to make a bid. Seems like TT wants Frankie and we will make an offer. Since Todd is a big fan of swaps I could see Azpil, Alonso + cash for Frankie. 

A potential deal that could suit all parties

Azpi Alonso + another dinner date and 20 million pounds

the problem is that De Jong is still owed 17 million in salaries from Barcelona 

Edited by azpi28

Barcelona now matching our bid for Raphinha according to Ben Jacobs. All of this happening in the space of 24 hours since meeting with Boehly.  Now all of a sudden our interest in De Jong is heating up?

This going back to my previous theory that we are allowing Barcelona to have Raphinha if they allow us a stab at De Jong. 

1 hour ago, HazardousChoice said:

Strange theory.

It has nothing to do with us.  if he wants to play for Barca and only Barca we're just not involved.

We're not letting them do anything.

He doesn't want to leave Barca until they pay what they owe him. 

On 07/07/2022 at 18:15, Sexyfootball said:

Perhaps he is dangling Pulisic at them for his USA "marketability" ... ?

Major clubs don't buy players for 'marketing'. Apart from anything how would it help the marketing to buy someone and then never play them.

Pulisic plays for Chelsea because he can contribute to the side. Whether he does enough is another matter but he's not there solely for shirt sales and nobody who knows the game would say that.

13 hours ago, TheCeleryKing said:

Pulisic plays for Chelsea because he can contribute to the side. Whether he does enough is another matter but he's not there solely for shirt sales and nobody who knows the game would say that.

That's just flat out wrong.

I don't think many people outside of America would argue Pulisic got signed for any reason other than his nationality and the marketing perspective.  Do you honestly think If Pulisic was German we would have signed him?  Or decided a 3 goal a season bench warmer was worth 60m?

A top club signing a player that isn't good enough to play in a weaker league and has been benched by 2  more talented teenagers like Pulisic was at Dortmund for a big fee is a very very strange scenario.

He was signed almost solely due to his commerical hype which is a really poor mistake but here we are. 

Even United didn't want Pulisic and he was a proper Ed Woodward signing.

Edited by HazardousChoice

3 hours ago, HazardousChoice said:

That's just flat out wrong.

I don't think many people outside of America would argue Pulisic got signed for any reason other than his nationality and the marketing perspective.  Do you honestly think If Pulisic was German we would have signed him?  Or decided a 3 goal a season bench warmer was worth 60m?

A top club signing a player that isn't good enough to play in a weaker league and has been benched by 2  more talented teenagers like Pulisic was at Dortmund for a big fee is a very very strange scenario.

He was signed almost solely due to his commerical hype which is a really poor mistake but here we are. 

Even United didn't want Pulisic and he was a proper Ed Woodward signing.

Fascinating. However, that is not how marketing works and to suggest Pulisic was hired for "commercial hype" is just complete nonsense.  That is not how marketing works and that is not how Football Clubs operate.  Truly. End of story. Chelsea FC would never hire a player based on his nationality and your absurd perception on how "marketing" works. It just doesn't happen like that. Please do not embarrass yourself any further with your lack of knowledge on how Football Clubs operate and what "marketing" is.

I understand that you do not rate him as a player. That is opinion. You are entitled to your opinion on any player.

I remember reading an article in the german press, no tabloid - think it was Sueddeutsche Zeitung, about the transfer back then, also regarding the commercial aspects of his transfer, and gotta say that to completely dismiss the marketing aspect of the one american talent that - of course - had the potential to become a great player because he did had (ultimately rather short lived because of his injury and Dembélé) some moments of brilliance at a very young stage of his career is a bit strange. America has a huge, I guess the biggest by quite some margin, market with the rather unique - at least compared to European behaviors - aspect that they avidly don't follow just one club and that's it but rather a multitude of clubs within different sports. And with avidly I mean that they actually spend a lot of dollars for that. With the American market on the rise, still untapped territories regarding their affiliations to European football clubs and an upcoming WC there on the horizon it'd be stupid not to factor that in. It would have been also stupid from Pulisic not to factor that in when discussing his deal.

I'm not saying that's the main reason he was bought though obviously.

edit: just noticed this is the FdJ thread..oh my

Edited by weetee

Absolute bollocks to poo poo the idea of signing a player in part because of his commercial value !

Spurs have Son Heung-Min, and where have they gone on tour ? South Korea. Hands up who thinks they'd go there for a summer tour if they hadn't signed Son ?

The headline in the Mail today even describes it as a "money-spinning" tour ... 

Anyway - back to De Jong LOL

1 hour ago, TheCeleryKing said:

Fascinating. However, that is not how marketing works and to suggest Pulisic was hired for "commercial hype" is just complete nonsense.  That is not how marketing works and that is not how Football Clubs operate.  Truly. End of story. Chelsea FC would never hire a player based on his nationality and your absurd perception on how "marketing" works. It just doesn't happen like that. Please do not embarrass yourself any further with your lack of knowledge on how Football Clubs operate and what "marketing" is.

I understand that you do not rate him as a player. That is opinion. You are entitled to your opinion on any player.

There's absolutely nothing more embarrassing than suggesting Pulisic's nationality and commerical value didn't play any part in him being signed.

It's just a completely ridiculous position to take.  If we thought Pulisic could bring in 100m worth of revenue due to his commerical appeal it makes sense why we'd sign him.

Certainly a lot more sense than trying to pretend we spent 58m on a Bundesliga flopped benched by 2 other teenagers because we thought he'd improve the squad.

generating revenue is important for any clubs long term success I'm not sure why Americans would be so defensive about it especially since it's the exact reason our players are in America right now.

Edited by HazardousChoice

35 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

Absolute bollocks to poo poo the idea of signing a player in part because of his commercial value !

Spurs have Son Heung-Min, and where have they gone on tour ? South Korea. Hands up who thinks they'd go there for a summer tour if they hadn't signed Son ?

The headline in the Mail today even describes it as a "money-spinning" tour ... 

Anyway - back to De Jong LOL

With De Jong and Aké it's a pre-season tour in the Netherlands next year :yay:

24 minutes ago, Valerie said:

With De Jong and Aké it's a pre-season tour in the Netherlands next year :yay:

We should defo keep Hakim though then to tap into the Ajax crowd even more (or sign DeLigt but that could be more difficult).

3 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Please don’t swear at @Valerie

Why would you denounce such a beautiful club with a vibrant and rich history? Internet tough guy much?

Joking aside: since this FdJ thread has space for all kind of topics, I wonder why we aren't in for this Antony fella. Raphinha is a 40/60 at best now I reckon and since Ajax likes to sell their good players for good money, good club that they are, I wonder if he could be an alternative.

12 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

Wait, is this some gif contest where I have to respond to you two with amazing footy gifs featuring world class Ajax players - each gif from a different player of course - or what?

BTT:

23e0d917f424e241662d674517715f8cc2559eac

Edited by weetee