Arsenal vs Chelsea (PL) Tue 23rd Apr 24 20:00 GMT

Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

Ok on a serious team selection note I hope Alfie starts to get regular first team minutes now the season is done for us.

Also that any players in any sort of serious consideration to be part of the squad next season, who we have not see barley at all so far, get given a chance to show what they can do, like Washington or Richards.

We need to start the build for next season now. Cut the fat off and hold out, by some minor miracle, key players like James, Fofana, Lavia and Nkunku actually stay fit for all (or at least most) of the season.

13 hours ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Europa is pretty much dead in the water. The only avenue is for City to win the FA Cup whilst we finish 6th in the league. We've haven't been that high in the table for goodness knows. 😭

Conference League at the moment will give us a fine larger than qualifying for the actual competition given the selling of assets loophole isn't recognized under UEFA. 

There is one other scenario that I am not sure about. What if Villa finish 4th and also win the Conference League? Does that mean English clubs get an extra spot in Europa? Or for that matter what if they win Conference League and finish 5th? I believe there is still a possible scenario where 7th could get Europa?

11 hours ago, axman2526 said:

Ok on a serious team selection note I hope Alfie starts to get regular first team minutes now the season is done for us.

Also that any players in any sort of serious consideration to be part of the squad next season, who we have not see barley at all so far, get given a chance to show what they can do, like Washington or Richards.

We need to start the build for next season now. Cut the fat off and hold out, by some minor miracle, key players like James, Fofana, Lavia and Nkunku actually stay fit for all (or at least most) of the season.

It isn't though. While it is not as big as the UCL, we can still finish 6th and obtain a spot in the Europa League, even though I don't think we will. We are firmly in the hunt and have games in hand on teams above us. If City win FA Cup, means 6th place get a spot for Europa, which may be crucial for us getting in the UCL the following season.

Not that much to play for, and expect rotations to kick in after a big game on Saturday. However, not going to like it if we send a team to trial out some kids and hand Arsenal the 3 points. We need to be competitive against these big teams especially the local rivals. I'm happy to gift Forest 3 points if we could take 2 points off Arsenal. To get back to where we were 2-3 seasons ago, we got do better in the big games.

According to the latest injury bulletin, Palmer is ill, and Gusto and Chilwell are both "undergoing medical assessment" .

If all are out, then by my reckoning we'll be missing 7 (perhaps 8 if I include Lavia) of our potential best 11 ... I think that might be a new "record" LOL

10 hours ago, forbzy said:

There is one other scenario that I am not sure about. What if Villa finish 4th and also win the Conference League? Does that mean English clubs get an extra spot in Europa? Or for that matter what if they win Conference League and finish 5th? I believe there is still a possible scenario where 7th could get Europa?

That is only applicable if Villa win the Conference League and don't finish in a Europa or Champions League qualifying place. So Villa would have to finish 6th and win the Conference League, which isn't likely as they are currently 16 points ahead of 6th place Newcastle. 

The only scenario far as I know due to coefficient changes is Man City need to win the FA Cup and we need to be 6th when they do. 

10 minutes ago, Sexyfootball said:

According to the latest injury bulletin, Palmer is ill, and Gusto and Chilwell are both "undergoing medical assessment" .

If all are out, then by my reckoning we'll be missing 7 (perhaps 8 if I include Lavia) of our potential best 11 ... I think that might be a new "record" LOL

Jesus, if Palmer is out, we have zero chance - never mind Gusto.

If that is the case will go to bed early and turn phone off to avoid and Gooner supporting mates.

2 minutes ago, Sconnie Blue said:

That is only applicable if Villa win the Conference League and don't finish in a Europa or Champions League qualifying place. So Villa would have to finish 6th and win the Conference League, which isn't likely as they are currently 16 points ahead of 6th place Newcastle. 

The only scenario far as I know due to coefficient changes is Man City need to win the FA Cup and we need to be 6th when they do. 

Actually I checked and the Villa situation is only useful in the unlikely event that Villa win Conference League and all German teams crash out in the semis of their respective competitions. All explained here:

premierleague.com/european-qualification-explained/2023-24

I could see Bayern and Dortmund losing in the semis but I will be surprised if Leverkusen do too. So you are correct. Realistically our only hope for Europa is to finish 6th and hope City win the cup.

I still want to see us finish the season strongly. Hopefully mess up the chances of some of our rivals along the way too.

1 minute ago, Nibs said:

Jesus, if Palmer is out, we have zero chance - never mind Gusto.

If that is the case will go to bed early and turn phone off to avoid and Gooner supporting mates.

2 minutes ago, timetowaste said:

Christ 🤦‍♂️ 

So based on the way our injury reporting goes that means we Gusto/Chilwell are about to enter the rehabilitation tardis and will probably disappear for the rest of the season with the rest of them.

In partial team training typical seems to translate to "Waiting to pick up their next injury while training"

19 minutes ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Palmer FC since September so let's see how Chelsea FC plays. 

No, let's not bother.

3 hours ago, STATS said:

It isn't though. While it is not as big as the UCL, we can still finish 6th and obtain a spot in the Europa League, even though I don't think we will. We are firmly in the hunt and have games in hand on teams above us. If City win FA Cup, means 6th place get a spot for Europa, which may be crucial for us getting in the UCL the following season.

Newcastle have hit form and have favorable fixtures. Getting ahead of United and West Ham is possible, but with our fixtures I think getting ahead of Newcastle won't happen.

1 hour ago, Sexyfootball said:

Did Cole watch Nicos chances from Saturday again?

20 minutes ago, axman2526 said:

Newcastle have hit form and have favorable fixtures. Getting ahead of United and West Ham is possible, but with our fixtures I think getting ahead of Newcastle won't happen.

Yes, but we still can finish above them. We can't just say because they have easier fixtures than us, that we should throw in the towel.

41 minutes ago, STATS said:

Yes, but we still can finish above them. We can't just say because they have easier fixtures than us, that we should throw in the towel.

Newcastle are probably favorites given their run in. But they have their own injury issues and will likely drop some points. As it stands we probably need about 5 wins from our last 7 to have a really decent chance of 6th. But if Newcastle drop more points than expected 4 wins and a draw or 2 for us might do it.

1 hour ago, STATS said:

We can give it our best shot, but I dont trust this team after Burnley and Sheff United. Everyone thrashes Sheff United at Bramwell lane yet somehow me made them look the better side.

So with Injuries and illness in mind my Poch predicted team is:

Petrovic 

Disasi

Chalobah 

Silva

Cucurella

Caicedo

Enzo

Madueke 

Gallagher

Sterling

Jackson

My preferred starting 11 would be:

Petrovic

Gilchrist 

Chalobah 

Silva

Cucurella

Caicedo

Gallagher

Sterling

Carney

Jackson

Richards/Washington

with the two best signings Clearfake have made out I'm pleased I cant watch live due to a prior engagement

still hoping somehow for a draw tomorrow to derail their challenge

This is our toughest remaining game, and especially in light of players unavailable I will view any points we get from it us a bonus. Doubly so because it would also scupper our rivals chances of winning the league. I would go with this line up, assuming there are no surprises before tomorrow:

Petrovic

Disasi Chalobah Silva Cucurella

Caicedo Gallagher

Madueke Carney Sterling

Jackson

52 minutes ago, forbzy said:

This is our toughest remaining game, and especially in light of players unavailable I will view any points we get from it us a bonus. Doubly so because it would also scupper our rivals chances of winning the league. I would go with this line up, assuming there are no surprises before tomorrow:

Petrovic

Caicedo Gallagher

Madueke Carney Sterling

Jackson

Disasi will get torn to pieces by trossard or Martinelli. Better we call up a quick RB from the academy than have the tank out there.

4 hours ago, Sconnie Blue said:

Not that it matters but I'd do this. 

Petrovic

Caicedo Gallagher

Madueke Carney Mudryk

Jackson

Was just thinking the same!! Hope they decide before game who takes a penalty!!