Chelsea v Aston villa(PL) 31/12/11 KO 15:00 GMT

Chelsea3

I really liked how Malouda preformed yesterday so an alteration to the 4231 I proposed when Rambo was suspended:

------------ Cech ------------

Paulo - Luiz - Terry - Cole

---- Ramires - Romeu ----

Sturridge - Mata - Malouda

------------ Torres ------------

The lack of creativity from the middle is severely hurting us. Xaviesque pointed it out immediately and he doesn't even watch us week in week out. Its obvious to anyone what we're missing and at the moment Mata is the only person who can provide. As good as he can be as a direct winger, he's spending more time in the middle to create anyway and we're gimping our left side because of it. May as well run the show around Mata and let Malouda and Kalou alternate on the left wing until we reinforce with either a new winger or a creative midfielder in January. Torres or Drogba up front is fine either way for me. Drogba has been great lately but he doesn't tend to show up in the mundane games these days when we just want to collect the 3 points, shake hands and go home.

With a lot of calls for creativity in the midfield, let me adjust your lineup Castiel and go on a flyer here...

----------------- Cech ---------------

---Paulo - Luiz - Terry - Cole---

-------- Ramires - Romeu --------

Sturridge - McEachran - Mata

--------------- Torres --------------

Is this injecting too much youth in our lineup? I figure if Josh in the middle isn't working, we can always slide Mata in and put Malouda on the wing. This also allows for a pretty seamless transition to a 4-3-3 if need be as well.

Castiel that line up is great it also allows mata and sturridge to swap roles during the game and making it harder to be marked and provide some close needed support to Torres, we defo need a change in lineup as we have become very predictable and until Mata drifts centrally in games then we are too easy to deal with.

I really liked how Malouda preformed yesterday so an alteration to the 4231 I proposed when Rambo was suspended:

The lack of creativity from the middle is severely hurting us. Xaviesque pointed it out immediately and he doesn't even watch us week in week out. Its obvious to anyone what we're missing and at the moment Mata is the only person who can provide. As good as he can be as a direct winger, he's spending more time in the middle to create anyway and we're gimping our left side because of it. May as well run the show around Mata and let Malouda and Kalou alternate on the left wing until we reinforce with either a new winger or a creative midfielder in January. Torres or Drogba up front is fine either way for me. Drogba has been great lately but he doesn't tend to show up in the mundane games these days when we just want to collect the 3 points, shake hands and go home.

100% agree

Totally with Castiel's lline up. Also watching Villa v Stoke yesterday, they again filled the midfield and the game was a turgid affair. I fully expect them to try the same tactic against us, and put the pressure on us to create, while they sit deep and try to pick us off on the counter. This means we need to do something different, and we need more creativity in the middle (how long have we been saying that?)

Anyway, yesterday, we were so stale it was obvious. I felt that Romeu and Mata had poor games, but looking around them when they received the ball there was no one there to pick up a pass. Romeu's usual receive and pass style was nowhere evident yesterday due to the inability of those around him to show for a pass. It was frustrating to watch, and at times I felt "I wonder if they (Mata and Romeu) wonder what the f**k they've come here for?"

I think most of us are realistic in here, and as much as I don't like to give up until it is mathematically impossible, I think the title isn't a focus this year and a top 4 should be our aim. A win against Villa will help us reach this objective (and - again until it's mathematicaly impossible- put us over that 40 point mark); however, if we are accepting a period of transition, I'd like to see AVB show some balls and show some transitional formations and players. I know he's already doing this in playing Sturridge, Romeu and Mata. However, he's also still dangling on the fence of comfort by continuing with the same formations and players.

Cole needs a rest, Lampard needs to be used sparingly, and our tactics need to change. I'd be happy to see us go:

...........................Cech

Bosingwa.......Luiz....Terry.....Bertrand

.....................Romeu

..................................Ramires

.........Sturridge...Mata......Malouda

....................Torres

Then have Malouda drop back to the middle when defending. I also doubt we'll see Josh as he's off on loan and we don't want to jeopardize this by having him pick up an injury.

Thanks

Scott

Villa are struggling so its another home draw then I suppose (he says with a heavy dose of sarcasm)

3 more games for the Drog then he's off to captain the IC, yesterday's game certainly improved when he came on, so does Torres start vs Villa and AVB save Drog for Wolves away ?

Whatever happens its obvious that alongside Torres & Studge this team long term needs a proven goalscoring striker to compete in the top 4,if that man is Lukaku if so he needs a loan in January

along with young Josh

Also need to bring the Belgian goalie back in the summer, Cech is still class but every player out there should be looking over their shoulder like at City, again thats the difference if this team wants to remain a top 4 club

I am resigned to this season being a let down, I still have high hopes for AVB and am keen to see the January business get conducted "quietly and properly"- something to date this club seems mostly unable to do ( I say mostly based upon other seasons when the past managers were clearly not choosing the transfers and buys)

Villa are w**k under McLeish, lost 2 wide players but even so it shows what a difference a good or not so good manager makes to a club. Malouda tried yesterday so along with Drogba he deserves to start, bench Lampard bring back Rambo - still need the 3 points with the Arsenal breathing down our necks, its about time RVP got injured please.

A massive thumping of the Villans would sort us and the club out for the new year, COME ON CHELSEA

If avb cant get players motivated for this match , he probably doesn't belong here. I can deal with a few loses, but the lethargic draws against wigan and fulham are just killing us. Transition or not, the players must be ready to fight on the field, which we haven't done in the last few games. Drogba may play this one, Ramires picks himself.

We must win,no if and but.

--------------------Cech

Bosingwa----Luiz----Terry---Cole

-------------------Romeu

-----------Ramires----Malouda

-----Sturridge--Drogba---Mata

Although as mad_mac said, I certainly wouldn't be opposed to seeing Bertrand or McEachran get some gametime.

I'd go with the same line up as last game expect for a couple of changes. I'd give Ferriera a nod ahead of Bosingwa and bring back Ramires for Lampard. Ideally I'd give a rest to Cole and throw Bertrand into the mix but that is not going to happen. My line up would be:

Cech

Paulo Luiz JT Cole

Ramires Romeu Raul

Studge Torres Mata

Has to be 3 points as nothing else will do. We were fortunate that our immediate rivals (save and except Spurs) also tripped up on their boxing day fixture so we need to take the small advantage afforded to us. If we don't get the 3 points, I'm sorry but AVB has to get the blame for the poor showing this holiday season, it's his job to pick the side and motivate the players to be up for the game and that clearly didn't happen against Fulham. If we see the same lethargic start he should immediately sub someone to send a clear message, JM would have done that against Fulham in a heartbeat. If motivated...3-0..if not another long afternoon at the Bridge with another 2 points dropped.....roll on January!

With a lot of calls for creativity in the midfield, let me adjust your lineup Castiel and go on a flyer here...

----------------- Cech ---------------

---Paulo - Luiz - Terry - Cole---

-------- Ramires - Romeu --------

Sturridge - McEachran - Mata

--------------- Torres --------------

Would love to see this.

Wouldn't mind this either.

This game will be on new years eve so I will be surrounded with friends and relatives. Few of them likes football, barely anyone likes english football and apart from myself only one gives a flying hoo-haa about Chelsea (the only one being my mom who actually much more prefers Barcelona and, sorry to say, even likes Arsenal).

Because of this I might miss this game. I could tell them to f*ck off and let me watch my Chelsea, but I don't think it's the right way to end the year. I mean, they might actually take offence to it.