This one's for the old guard ..

Davey Baby

And AVB was meant to change things. RDM's task is different; salvage what you can from the rest of the season.

But on topic, yes the whole squad were excellent tonight. Shame they left it this late in the season to show some balls though.

I think it's more a case what they were capable of if they'd believed in AVB

yeah and it works both ways... Do you think SAF would have operated, had he come in, in the same vein as AVB...? = not enough experience or people management skills in my humble opinion.

I love the way so many on here have jumped onto the pro-AVB camp as a result of media manipulation and turned their backs on those who have served the club so well...

Edited by Fast Eddie

Di Matteo's project is clearly to harness Jose's steam.

Build your defence around the best old fashioned centre half in world football. Pack the midfield with athletes and hoof the ball to the best old fashioned centre forward the world has ever seen. Fight for the scraps and convert ensuing set pieces.

Get the fans behind the team and give them a night of incredible excitement.

Simple really.

Sorry what, RDM's job is to continue from the work that Jose did? 4 years ago? People really need to let that sh*t go. The way we played last night was incredible, but it certainly didn't remind me of a Mourinho-esque performance.

I also don't like the way people are making out like we only did well last night because Robbie has an entirely different goal to AVB. The players look happier, they look better motivated, they look like they're playing in a system that suits them - everything about the Chelsea we saw last night is greatly improved from anything we saw under AVB.

yeah and it works both ways... Do you think SAF would have operated, had he come in, in the same vein as AVB...? = not enough experience or people management skills in my humble opinion.

I love the way so many on here have jumped onto the pro-AVB camp as a result of media manipulation and turned their backs on those who have served the club so well...

I agree about AVB not having enough experience and man-management skills, but that only comes with time.

Please don't include me as one of those who are manipulated by the media, I never take any notice of journalists, they're all a bunch of c*nts. And I haven't turned my back on 'those who have served the club so well', it seems to me that 'those who have served the club so well' turned their back on the club for most of this season, and I say that having watched most of our games, not because of any crap the media comes out with. Just my opinion, mind you.

Last night was a magnificent performance by the whole team, let's just enjoy it!

And AVB was meant to change things. RDM's task is different; salvage what you can from the rest of the season.

But on topic, yes the whole squad were excellent tonight. Shame they left it this late in the season to show some balls though.

Pretty much this!

the mandates are completly different, AVB had the job of sheperding us through a transistion period, but hoenstly wasnt given the support needed to complete the job. At some point some one will have to do it.

I agree about AVB not having enough experience and man-management skills, but that only comes with time.

Please don't include me as one of those who are manipulated by the media, I never take any notice of journalists, they're all a bunch of c*nts. And I haven't turned my back on 'those who have served the club so well', it seems to me that 'those who have served the club so well' turned their back on the club for most of this season, and I say that having watched most of our games, not because of any crap the media comes out with. Just my opinion, mind you.

Last night was a magnificent performance by the whole team, let's just enjoy it!

Exactly my feelings mate,

I'm as happy as anyone about last nights performance but without trying to put a downer on it, it does feel a bit like finding a few good custard creams in the bottom of a soggy packet...

I would have felt better about the season had I felt the players had the same motivation and will to win for the rest of it and didn't feel that because they didn't like everything the previous manager asked of them that they would consciously or subconsciously appear unmotivated and generally lethargic.

I have a lot of respect for RDM and wish him well but those pointing to last nights line up and using it as a pointer to where AVB went wrong in the first leg should compare the commitment from the players and wonder what the score would have been last night if thecommitment level was the same as they were putting in under Villas Boas.

I don't include Drogba or JT as I think both would have given their all for AVB and never thought otherwise, I wouldn't rule out though, the malaise that can creep into a team when some players feel some others are not giving their all.

I didn't see too much great football last night but I did see a team all playing together as a unit and giving everything, something that whatever the tactics would have had us in a far better position had it happened all season.

As great as last night was it was just one of those nights. No team can play with that enthusiasm and determination week in week out. It's week in week out that you must win by quality and not pure effort.

It is certainly too early to be getting too carried away with the thought that we are great again. Last night was not dissimilar to the City game really. And a lot of us thought that was going to prove the turning point under Boas.

Thank you for saying that.

You could see a "backlash" from the old guard of players coming from a mile off. I'm just glad it came today and not as much against Brum and Bolton. But it doesnt change the fact that they looked like a totally different side from earlier this season and I dont buy that its big bad AVB that turned them into crap.

Eitherway, I am glad the team stood up and was counted. Many acted like 3-1 was such a disaster that we would never overturn it. Last night looked like a team who finally realized what they were capable of. Reminded me of the Valencia game when (uner AVB no less) everything clicked and Chelsea tore a good opponent to ribbons.

As great as last night was it was just one of those nights. No team can play with that enthusiasm and determination week in week out. It's week in week out that you must win by quality and not pure effort.

It is certainly too early to be getting too carried away with the thought that we are great again. Last night was not dissimilar to the City game really. And a lot of us thought that was going to prove the turning point under Boas.

It was a joy to watch us last night play with such commitment and spirit and I don't really want to post anything negative after a great performance like that. But if anyone honestly thinks that the same group of players will be able to perform like that every game for the rest of the season then I think they are in for disappointment.

Don't even want to think about us playing Barca or Madrid if Cole and Essien play anything like they did last night - just want to enjoy the moment for now!

Exactly my thoughts.

The old guard can pull one out when times are desperate. But they didn't have much left after last night's match. It took a herculean effort to win. (Wonder of wonders, suddenly these players showed they did indeed know how to press effectively. Where was that earlier in the season when their manager asked them to do it?)

It's not the kind of effort they're capable of giving every time. They've already shown us that this season, with slumps after playing well in the big match.

I fear for the Leicester City and Manchester City matches upcoming. Di Matteo was good about rotating his squad prior to Napoli. He'll have to be even more clever going forward.

And that's why change is necessary. You cannot rely on superhuman effort to have success. By definition, it's not sustainable.

Love the win. Love it. But not too keen on seeing it as a permanent change in form. Hope I'm wrong, I really do.

There were three players who despite their best efforts looked below the standard of the rest of the team last night. Two of them- Cole and Essien- are on that list.

I have to agree on that, especially for Cole. He seemed too slow and got caught way to many times chasing players without having the ability to catch them. He was greatly helped by the fact that Ramires was roaming in front of him, if not I think we would have been even more exposed to the Napoli attacks.

People are underestimating Essien's contribution on the night.

Far from his best game, still not match fit, not the player he was, clearly, but he gave us presence, competitiveness and intelligence in the middle of the park.

He fought hard, not questioning that. But often he was behind the play, trying to catch up. For whatever reason, he slipped a lot too. And -- this surprised me -- he was bundled off the ball too. I thought he'd be the first man subbed off. Very surprised he stayed to the end.