Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zeta

Next generation consoles

Was slightly annoying watching a 2 hour show that showed maybe 4-5 new games. Worst part was Square Enix coming on, showing a year old tech demo then announcing that there will be an announcement for Final fantasy at E3. Not seeing the console itself was very frustrating.

The games looked nice and had some neat ideas (the sculpture one and Drive Club) but the only game which really blew me away wasthe Dark Souls clone from Capcom which looked incredible.

But yeah, most of the rumours were absolutely spot on aside from the RAM (which was a nice surprise).

No mention on price.

Starting to wonder if all purchases of games will be done through the Playstation Network Store because they spoke a lot about the idea of not having to full download content before being able to use it.

Graphics looked amazing.

UK release probably won't be until around March 2014 because the US and Japan always get an earlier release time than the EU. 

Watched it this morning.

A console reveal without showing the console and most of the games being played on a PC, like Watch Dogs for example.

The hardware was pretty much leaked already, only thing they got wrong was the ram which is 8gb instead of the reported 4gb.

No release date except holiday 2013 which we already knew, no price either.

They trolled us.

Now when is the xbox one?

It was a shocker wasn't it, an announcement with no hardware or price is taking the piss.

Most of it was PC, I'd say 95%.

No console there, so everytime they had someone play live on stage it was PC.

Watch Dog which was just a gameplay trailer was a PC, confirmed by Ubisoft so who knows about Killzone and that? Definitely dodgy.

Most of it was PC, I'd say 95%.

No console there, so everytime they had someone play live on stage it was PC.

Watch Dog which was just a gameplay trailer was a PC, confirmed by Ubisoft so who knows about Killzone and that? Definitely dodgy.

Its a very strange thing to do.

Its a very strange thing to do.

I'd say it's dishonest, but it's not strange when you think about it. No console will ever be more powerful than a PC and these demonstrations are purely for marketing purposes - a game that builds up a lot of hype with a strong E3 showing, for example, will generally be financially successful when it releases unless it's a total disaster. Even then, sometimes the hype is enough to allow a piss poor game to sell like cooked crack on a Compton street corner (e.g. Aliens: Colonial Marines). So yeah, if you're trying to sell your game to people before they can play it themselves, it makes sense to make it look as pretty as possible. I'm only surprised that this wasn't common knowledge.

I was going to get that Aliens game because it looked bloody lovely, then my mate who gets games "early" said it was the biggest load of sh*t. Saved me some cash. I can remember seeing games developers showing there products on top spec PC`s, but for a console maker to do it is just stupid.

I can remember seeing games developers showing there products on top spec PC`s, but for a console maker to do it is just stupid.

It's like when Nokia showed the capabilities of their cameraphone, by showing material they shot with a professional digital video camera.

I'm a bit disappointed Microsoft are lagging behind with the announcement of the new consoles however, hopefully it'll be worth the wait if they actually show us the console, give us a price and a date! All Sony really done was confirm the hardware that had already been rumoured. Waste of 2 hours. The graphics looked quality drive club looked quality and the facial emotions they showed were very realistic as well.

^ I think it will be. Even if not technically superior, Microsoft seems to have the marketing and 3rd party support for game development biting to continue making games for them.

As long as the new Xbox doesn't have to be 'always online' to play games, then count me in.

If it is (which is looking increasingly likely) then i'll be buying a PS4.

As long as the new Xbox doesn't have to be 'always online' to play games, then count me in.

If it is (which is looking increasingly likely) then i'll be buying a PS4.

I don't think they'd make that big a jump without Sony doing it as well, too high a risk.

Rumour is it's going to be called Xbox Infinity.

Going to be interesting as some of you said if the "always online" rumour is true.

Also whether they will try to push Kinect as big part of the new system because I understand a lot of Xbox owners are very underwhelmed about the idea of Microsoft pushing that as on the whole it's been a bit of a let down. 

I got kinect and it's OK for party games and pissing about. But not really used it foe ages. Only time it's turned on is when the wife uses it for yoga and fitness stuff. This always online thing confuses me as to why so many are opposed to it. My 360 is always online now, as long as it's optional I don't see a problem. Infinity is an odd name though, will the next one be infinity +1?

I got kinect and it's OK for party games and pissing about. But not really used it foe ages. Only time it's turned on is when the wife uses it for yoga and fitness stuff. This always online thing confuses me as to why so many are opposed to it. My 360 is always online now, as long as it's optional I don't see a problem. Infinity is an odd name though, will the next one be infinity +1?

It would be a pain in the arse if your internet crashed, or if you don't have internet in your house. Like I said they'd lose too much business in my opinion. There was a reason for infinity but I forget what it was now.

I don't think they'd make that big a jump without Sony doing it as well, too high a risk.

It looks like it's happening. We'll wait til May 21st to find out but the way they see it the pros out-way the cons somehow. Total bollocks.

And the thing is, it WOULDN'T BE OPTIONAL. You want to play a game, a single player game, your console HAS to be online. It's utter horsehit but i think it will happen. A clever way for Microsoft to collect data about the types of games people play and when.  

It wouldnt bother me too much, my xbox is always online when switched on. Im the same as DKW regarding the Kinnect. Its a good party toy but other than that i hardly ever use it.

My main concern for the new xbox is its being said that you will need a code for playing the games that come out so that puts an end to second hand games. Its annoying becuase every now and then i get an afternoon off work and before i go home i pop into game and will pick up a second hand game for 10 quid or so to give me an afternoon of entertainment. If they made you buy a new code just to play the game it wouldnt be worth it.

Always online is getting mixed signals from developers, may not be true or may be implemented in a less extreme way.

The "no second hand" thing seems nailed on though. They're taking a massive risk on that as £45 for a game with no hope of ever getting any of that back is a big ask.

Reliable rumours so far:

Anti-used game measures

$299 if you buy a $10 a month xbox live sub, $499 if you don't

HD kinect bundled and forced to use it.

Not as powerful as the PS4 by a notable margin (weaker graphics, slower ram, marginally more complicated architecture)

Rumour is it's going to be called Xbox Infinity.

Going to be interesting as some of you said if the "always online" rumour is true.

Also whether they will try to push Kinect as big part of the new system because I understand a lot of Xbox owners are very underwhelmed about the idea of Microsoft pushing that as on the whole it's been a bit of a let down. 

What would be the net generation then?

Xbox Implausibility

??

What would be the net generation then?

Xbox Implausibility

??

There's been a bit of, shall we say mockery over on the IGN comments section. 

Nearly all rumours surrounding Microsoft's next console have been negative... I don't know if they could release something as shambolic as that but who knows.