Euro Match Fixing

Zola

It depends. Are we talking about being fixed by players or fixed by referees/officials/authorities?

If its the latter then I wholly expect it to be our game with Barca in 2009, however it's fixed by players I again expect it to be Barca but this time against Arsenal.

Barca were so much better than Arsenal it was scary, out of nowhere they just suddenly took their foot off the gas and pretty much allowed Arsenal to just... Score. At that stage the game wasn't lost, Barca knew they were going through and those that had lumped on Arsenal were in the money so it's possible that game was fixed.

One game I'm certain is fixed was that Dynamo Zagreb v Lyon 7-1 game, when Lyon conveniently needed a 6 goal swing (or something like that to get it) and one of the Zagreb players just so happened to get himself sent off and Lyon just so happen to score 7 with the Zagreb goalkeeper even winking and making no effort to save some of the goals.

What are they going to do if it was fixed? Take away Barca's 2009 CL medal? I don't think so.

Either way the damage was done, Ballack and Anelka and Co. never got the CL medals they deserved, Barca went on to become the best team ever, we now have the waiter in charge.

It may give us a moral victory but meh.

Whilst our game against Barca seems the most obvious candidate due to perhaps the worst refereeing performances in Champions League history, you'd think they'd go for a team with longer odds than Barcelona if they were to fix a game.

As for what would happen to the 2009 winning team? Barcelona simply would've been knocked out were it not for the ref's performance. It would have to be declared a non-result.

Whilst our game against Barca seems the most obvious candidate due to perhaps the worst refereeing performances in Champions League history, you'd think they'd go for a team with longer odds than Barcelona if they were to fix a game.

As for what would happen to the 2009 winning team? Barcelona simply would've been knocked out were it not for the ref's performance. It would have to be declared a non-result.

There's no way of proving they couldn't have won without Ovrebo, if only the ref was involved and Barca aren't implicated, it won't mean a thing.

That being said it will be very interesting to see the list of fixed matches if they are released.

Surely a low-key game, I cannot imagine it being a knockout. I hope we have absolutely nothing to do with this.

I think it is going to be a knock-out game, and I have a gut-feeling it is going to be us against Barcelona.

Never before have I seen such suspect refereeing (Twattenberg-gate aside).

From the BBC article:

How are matches fixed?

Police say gang members around the world were tasked with maintaining contacts with corrupt players and officials. Laszlo Angeli, a Hungarian prosecutor, gave an example of how it worked: "The Hungarian member, who was immediately below the Singapore head, was in touch with Hungarian referees who could then attempt to swing matches at which they officiated around the world. Accomplices would then place bets on the internet or by phone with bookmakers in Asia, where bets that would be illegal in Europe were accepted."

This part sound familiar at all? "referees who could then attempt to swing matches at which they officiated around the world"

I immediately thought of the Barca game, but also the ghost goal at Anfield too.

I suspect it was a more low key game though.  Probably a dead rubber in a group match.

Well they said it was a match in England in the last 3-4 years, I don't remember many other controversial CL games in England over the past 3-4 years.

Chelsea vs Barcelona in 2009 immediately springs to mind.

I would bet top-dollar that it will end up being that game. What does that mean for Barcelona though?

It would only come back to bite individual players/coaches/officials unless it could be proved that the entire team was in it. Imagine that, that all Barca's success has been a sham. 

Archived