Carra hangs up his boots

mad_mac

Announced yesterday that Jamie Carragher will retire from football at the end of this season.

Despite what you may think of him, he is part of the lifeblood of the current LFC team, and will go down as a hero for them.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him try and stay on in a coaching role at Liverpool.

Scott

Half of Liverpool?

Like him or not, he has been around for a long time, he has won a lot with them, and he is revered by the Liverpool fans.

To me it will be like when Terry retires.  Say what you want about him as a person (and lord knows there will be some vitriol), but he has been an integral part of our club, and for what it seems, he may want to stay on and do his badges too

The best thing I can say about him is that it's impressive he's remained around the LFC first team for so long while being such an incredibly average player.

20 years and was never the best defender at his club let alone one of the best in the league, I doubt Chelsea would ever keep a player of his ability around for so long.

I'm not sure if during the Premiership era there has been another player with so little talent who has been a hero to so many.

Gary Neville and David Beckham come to mind, Beckham had more talent than either of them but was also far more overrated.

Gary Neville and David Beckham come to mind, Beckham had more talent than either of them but was also far more overrated.

Beckham had talent, even if he wasn't a great "all around player". In his prime, his kicking technique was (at least close to) world class. Gary Neville was an average player when it came to pure talent, but I think even he was a better player than Carragher. I can judge for myself, but I've also heard stories about him that some foreign players were shocked when they came to England that a player with such a poor set of skills as Carragher was playing at such a high level. Apparently his ball skills were so poor that he simply couldn't play one touch football (for example).

Good luck to him, never had an issue with Carragher.

Looking at these posts he doesnt seem to be particularly rated. Personally i can recall a couple of games for Liverpool against us that he was superb in.

Beckham had talent, even if he wasn't a great "all around player". In his prime, his kicking technique was (at least close to) world class. Gary Neville was an average player when it came to pure talent, but I think even he was a better player than Carragher. I can judge for myself, but I've also heard stories about him that some foreign players were shocked when they came to England that a player with such a poor set of skills as Carragher was playing at such a high level. Apparently his ball skills were so poor that he simply couldn't play one touch football (for example).

Yeah I know he had a lot more talent than Carra or Neville, but a lot of people seem to think he's the best English player of his generation, when really Lampard, JT, Ash, Gerrard and Scholes (among a few others) were on another level from him.

Looking at these posts he doesnt seem to be particularly rated. Personally i can recall a couple of games for Liverpool against us that he was superb in.

This is true. From someone I thought was laughably bad when he first broke into the side, he improved beyond recognition to become a very effective and reliable centre-half. Zero pace and poor distribution and skill levels, but you couldn't fault his commitment, and he was instrumental in keeping us out in those horrific CL battles we had against them. I read this by Jamie redknapp which shows that my impressions were pretty accurate:

Of all of my team-mates, nobody has worked harder than Carra to become the player he is. He deserves everything he has achieved in an age when young players are too quick to leave the training ground and shy away from the work required to master their art.

When he first came into the Liverpool squad, I wasn't sure. In training, Gerard Houllier would set us up one-on-ones - attack versus defence - and we all wanted to face Carra.

But after one summer, he came back with a different approach - and began to stop everyone who tried to go past him. He was fitter, faster, stronger.

Agree with this bjd.  He did lose my respect when he made his laughable "dignity" comments, but then made up for it somewhat with his fantastic interview piece about Drogba just before the CL final last year. He said he was totally unplayable at times.

I just hope he doesn't go into tv or radio, he sounds like a knackered radio being tuned In.

Imagine him,Fowler and Thompson on soccer Saturday they would need subtitles don't be surprised if he does get a job with sky that would be another Scouser talking sh*t in the media. That's all we need

What he actually said was "I'm tired" but no one understood a word he was saying and now it is too late to go back.

We murdered them at home making him look like a Sunday league player and all he could come up with is we have Dignity and they have none .... Hope he coaches them into the championship in the near future

Archived