Chelsea stadium tour.

alan'82
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

Have you been on the stadium tour?.If so,what did you think of it?.

I went with the missus last August as a late birthday present (quite late really when you're birthday is in November) but sh*t,you can't rush these things can you!.

Honestly,I thought it would be a case of me,her, the tour guide a couple of blokes and his dog (with the mutt mostly licking his nuts) on the tour but how wrong I was!.

Bloody hell it was rammed with us divided into groups of about 40 or so.Firstly,we sat in the MHL tier & the tour guy asked for all Chelsea fans to put their hands up.....out of 40 only 4 did!.It was so poor I put both mine up to make up the numbers. 

He then went on to crack a anti Arsenal joke that died a shocking death because I think most people on the tour had no idea who the arse are.

At break neck speed we went through the East Stand,Press room & the home & away dressing rooms eventually onto the dugout before ending up in the Shed upper tier.

All the time,without fail, with the constent chat of the tourists who had no interest in what the guide was saying & didn't give a monkeys for those that did.Still,at least they weren't texting on their mobiles.

I never thought I'd see the day the Bridge would become a major tourist attraction but hey,there you go.

Here's the plus points:

The Chelsea Museum,brillant stuff altough it makes you feel like a right old fossil when you see memorabillia on display from games that you've attended!.

The misses having a good time & enjoying looking at gear in the megastore & picking up a copy of Chelsea Uncut for only £4.

And of course Stamford Bridge itself,it may have changed a lot over the years but it still feels just 'right'.A true home to all Chelsea fans & a major,major part of this great club & i Hope our home for years to come.

If only we could stand again at the Shed.

Anyone else been on the tour?.

I've been on a tour ages ago, the West stand was still a mess then. The changing rooms were shocking, especially the away one was Spartan. The treatment table was an exhibit from the Museum of Medieval Torture. the I remember the guide telling us this was at the behest of Gullit: he didn't want the opponents pampered in any way :-)

Edited by Valerie

Did the tour a while back while visiting family after we won the PL for the second time, I quite enjoyed it at least the guide was jovial although as you said not many CFC fans in the group mainly tourists.  I thought it was a bit of a rip off when they wanted another tenner I think to have your picture taken with the trophy which at the time was hidden behind a curtain, little did they know my Mrs had already stumbled across it and grabbed a few pics before we were told about the cost.  It was good to see a distant relatives name up on the wall in the museum and like yourself took me back to standing under the 'true Shed end' in the very early 70's..ah those were the days.  It was fun and the Mrs enjoyed it . Went a bit nuts in the store knowing I wouldn't be back for a number of years.  I think the younger fans should do the tour and learn about the clubs heritage and what a fun place Stamford Bridge was even in those days..

I done it a couple of years ago and found it really good. I don't remember much about the group but early doors my dad made a comment that really struck a chord with the tour guide, after that he was pretty much talking to us the whole time.

Was given a tour as a present a few years back. Loved it! Unlike OP my tour was filled with Chelsea fans and it was like travelling to an away game as the atmosphere was great. The museum was the highlight for me and i still have so many photos from my tour.

Spent a bomb at the Megastore too (much to the Mrs annoyance!!!)

I've been a couple of times and enjoyed it - there were a few tourists though but a much smaller group than you had - about 12 or so I think. 

One of the tours was absolutely brilliant.  We'd booked it in advance but then the league cup game was scheduled for that day.  However, Chelsea forgot to notify us that the tour was cancelled as they don't do tours on match days (we didn't realise and didn't think it through).  So we got there, they apologised and said it was cancelled, could we come back the next day.  I explained we had come from Shropshire and they said they'd refund the money and give us a curtailed tour for free but there would be some areas we couldn't visit.  In fact we got the whole tour and when we got to the dressing rooms, all the kit was laid out.  We were told we weren't allowed to go anywhere near Charlton's kit but were allowed to pick up all the boots etc of the Chelsea players (Makalele's were tiny) and take photos of my son holding SFL's boots etc.

And then on the way out, we looked up and saw Jose in the restaurant window!  Yeah, he's been obsessed with me since he glimpsed me through the window.  Brilliant day.

Shame they lost that night!

One other thing I forget to mention (mind you,how would I know beforehand?) is that just to the left in the press room where Jose gives his press briefings, is a free bar for all the journos to enjoy!.

Plus, they also get gourmet (Heinz baked beans instead of Asda value) food all provided by the club for free...........and the ungratefull tossers still write crap about the club!.

Honestly,the press thesedays.

I did the tour last June and i am from South Africa, I thoroughly enjoyed it, the group we went want was just about 15. The guide was informative. I just loved the mega store, wanted to spend more time there but our stay in London was limited and we had other stuff to do, just wish I went for a match. I did manage to take a pic with the europa cup and they had a "champions league" cup there as well

Edited by Wolv

• 8 months later...

Yes I've been on the stadium tour twice back in 1996 and 2004 and absolutely loved it both times even if the changes were quite comprehensive between the eight years of when I went to the stadium.

The change rooms improved immensely when I went the second time round and the quality of the stadium had undergone massive upgrades in several areas under Bates' ownership.

It was surreal feeling seeing the ground close-up and it still stays with me. I wonder how much it's changed in the last ten years since I last went.