Filipe Luis to Chelsea... and Back Again.

Ethan789blues

WILLING TO GET CLOSE TO HIS €24 MILLION BUY-OUT CLAUSE

Chelsea take up the chase for Filipe Luis

Chelsea are in hot pursuit of Filipe Luis, set on not letting him slip away and convinced he will say 'I do'. The British club are in no doubt that things will go their way, but just in case, they are prepared to flash the cash.

Radio MARCA broke the news that Chelsea are ready to make an offer close to meeting his €24 million buy-out clause. They may not end up paying it in full, but good relations between Stamford Bridge and the Calderón will oblige the two sides to come to the negotiating table.

It is an obligation because there is a third element to this story in that the Atlético player himself has decided to leave the club, looking to sign the last contract of his career. In a few months he will turn 29 and Filipe knows that he is facing a great career opportunity.

Chelsea are willing to pay the player almost €5 million, a sum that would nearly double the Brazilian's current salary. Mourinho's camp see him as one of the best left-backs of the moment, perhaps even the top performing left-back of the recent campaign, both in 'La Liga' and Champions League.

That area of the field is also a big weakness for Chelsea, to the point that Mourinho has had to change Spanish right back, Azpilicueta, to the other side to cover Cole's poor performance. They are in need of a number '3' at Stamford Bridge and they know full well that Filipe Luis is the best man for the job.

Read more: Chelsea take up the chase for Filipe Luis - MARCA.com (English version)

20 million, if he goes as long as Ashley has (33) that gives us 4-5 seasons with us, he probably is one of the top LB's in the world right now, arguably the best although Alaba is probably better.

It is interesting, if Shaw is going to go for as much as 30 we should consider it, I don't really know much about the other touted names but it's a shame we can't find a left footed dave we can get on the cheap.

But again, we should have JUST KEPT BLOODY ASH ON, he's quite clearly still among the best in the world, and I have plenty of faith in Bertrand to step up and take the role as well, he hasn't failed in any capacity with any of the opportunities he's been given, I don't know why he went from being on the cusp of breaking through to exile.

I just feel like it's 20 million that is needed more elsewhere, and presumably we aren't going to be buying many players this summer.

Guest RFC_CFC

I'd prefer Shaw since he is younger and knows English football.

But Luis would be decent even if he's 29.

All these links to players 28 and over is a little concerning for me, if these sorts of deals do happen it will feel like we're looking short term for the team and I thought we had moved away from that. 

€24m for a 29 year old left back seems to make less sense than £30m for an 18 year old one to me. 

Guest RFC_CFC

All these links to players 28 and over is a little concerning for me, if these sorts of deals do happen it will feel like we're looking short term for the team and I thought we had moved away from that.

€24m for a 29 year old left back seems to make less sense than £30m for an 18 year old one to me.

Agreed.

He would be another stop gap type, although you would still get 2/3 decent seasons out of him you would hope.

I'd rather spend £5-10 million more on Shaw though

You lot are wishing we would turn into Arsenal and play all our youth and not win anything.

You have to have players who have been there and done that. Jose said himself last season we didnt have many leaders in the team.

Its one thing to have youngsters playing but when the going gets tough its the older players, the leaders that step up and push forward.

You lot are wishing we would turn into Arsenal and play all our youth and not win anything.

You have to have players who have been there and done that. Jose said himself last season we didnt have many leaders in the team.

Its one thing to have youngsters playing but when the going gets tough its the older players, the leaders that step up and push forward.

I don't think it's an expectation of only signing teenagers but a lot of the players we are being linked with are towards the back end of their careers and it would be disappointing to see us suddenly moving away from signing players who are 26 or younger as, like I said before, it reeks of short termism. 

We've got Ryan Bertrand who would be 25 going into the new season, I really don't know what he's done so wrong not to deserve a chance now Cole is leaving. 

I can certainly see your point but Jose will  be trying to assemble a team capable of winning the league and/or Champions League this coming season. With that in mind he will surely prefer the option that will give him the strongest possible team with immediate effect and that would be Luis who at 28 could offer a solid 4 years performing at the highest level.

I would certainly say Atletico would need to sharpen their pencil on the asking price but assuming we could negotiate a better deal I wouldn't have an issue with mixing some experiance and proven quality to an alreday fairly youthful side.

Terrible idea, that much on a 29 year old left back that has never played in the PL before?

Why not add the extra 6 or so mill and get Shaw so we could develop him.

2 29 year olds and a 33 year old midfielder linked in recent days, not really building for the future. If these moves come off is Jose building to win something next season.

bertrand and azpi should be our fullbacks for next season, ivanovic and cole/PVA as back up. really dont understand why we are chasing a left back so hard. seems a waste of money in a position that we have cover for already. luiz money should go towards a striker and a cm, not a left-back that we dont particularly need

Anyone else get the feeling Mourinho has altered the boards thinking for instant success?

Well so far aside from Eto'o who was only a stopgap, he's signed Schurrle, Salah, Willian and Matic who are 23, 21, 25 and 25, so no.

Terrible idea, that much on a 29 year old left back that has never played in the PL before?

Why not add the extra 6 or so mill and get Shaw so we could develop him.

2 29 year olds and a 33 year old midfielder linked in recent days, not really building for the future. If these moves come off is Jose building to win something next season.

He is currently 28 and is a proven  talent performing at Champions League level having just won La Liga with a team which had the best defence, so although older, in terms of pedigree I don't think there is an issue, certainly when compared to Luke Shaw (no disrespect intended to Shaw but he is an 18 year old with 2 Premiership seasons under his belt so still everything to prove for me).

I can certainly see the issue with paying over the odds for a player with little to no resale value however on the back of a season where Jose has won nothing and with a squad full of youth but at times lacking backbone I don't see the issue with adding to the squad with a view to instant benefits especially if we are parting with the experiance of a player like Cole in this position.

Seems we are really trying to sign him, at least that what twitter is saying quoting a couple of reliable sources.

Chelsea have indicated their willingness to pay close to the £19.4 million buyout clause in Filipe Luís’s contract. (Times) #CFC #Atletico - @ChelsTransfer

To be honest, I don't know why we're not looking at Coentrao?

Good relationship with Jose, only 26 so is in his prime, and would be cheaper than Shaw or Luis.

Also he did want to leave Real last summer, not sure if he still wants to though

Thought Luis was superb in the Champions League final. Does seem a lot of money given his age. But he is a very classy, proven player. Shaw has looked terrific whenever I've seen him. But the silly money being demanded might be better spent in another area of the park. Given a choice, I'd rather the club pushed the boat out on Barkley rather than Shaw.

Thought Luis was superb in the Champions League final. Does seem a lot of money given his age. But he is a very classy, proven player. Shaw has looked terrific whenever I've seen him. But the silly money being demanded might be better spent in another area of the park. Given a choice, I'd rather the club pushed the boat out on Barkley rather than Shaw.

Or both, we could do with a new English core for the HG quota.

Archived