Retain the PL or win the CL, which would you rather?

enigma

Kind of a Hobson's choice.  I want both, but I do not think we have to forfeit the PL to have a good chance to win the CL.  It all come down to good squad rotation to be able to do both, and to have a deep enough squad with quality in all of our players  This will require Mourinho to play our young players more in the PL next season, and I hope he does so.

Retain the Premier League, England needs that stable Champion again, let it be Chelsea, we are back. We go for the league all the way, always the league.

Champions League we base that on how far we get then we make sacrifices towards it as of now PL should always be priority the more domestic titles the better. 

How about both?

If we spend wisely in the summer and strengthen further who's to say we can't compete on more fronts? Jose really needs to learn to trust his squad members and not just his first team regulars for this to happen.

How about both?

If we spend wisely in the summer and strengthen further who's to say we can't compete on more fronts? Jose really needs to learn to trust his squad members and not just his first team regulars for this to happen.

would be nice, we will have to see. they are both incredible cups, but to see jose win the CL again would be amazing, and with Chelsea too. 

Champions League => more money and prestige by winning it.

But i don't believe that you have to choose. I don't think we have a bigger chance of winning the CL when we gift away the league.

Same question every year, every year the answer is the league title. The CL doesn't carry the same prestige for me as the European cup did. The CL requires a fair amount of luck to win it, point and case 2004/05 when we were easily the best team in europe but we didn't win it and had a bunch of scourers running around claiming to be. The League is the true test of who is the best in the country luck can only account for so much. Take us back to the  old format's and i may change my mind

The league.

Then you win the champions league the next season. The champions league means more when you're the best in your league.

But the league is the bread and butter. It's what you want to be able to rub in your mates faces.

At the end of the day, leagues are harder to win in my opinion. Cup competitions can always be won by lucky, poorer teams.

Same question every year, every year the answer is the league title. The CL doesn't carry the same prestige for me as the European cup did. The CL requires a fair amount of luck to win it, point and case 2004/05 when we were easily the best team in europe but we didn't win it and had a bunch of scourers running around claiming to be. The League is the true test of who is the best in the country luck can only account for so much. Take us back to the  old format's and i may change my mind

I have to disagree. Of course you need some luck to win the Champions League, but the best clubs of the world are in it and so it has much more prestige to it. Playing clubs like Bayern, Barca or Real Madrid are massively different from playing Arsenal or Man City. The level of the Premier League has really went down over the last couple of years and so the prestige of winning it has taken a hit as well. 

I think this is a good question and it would be interesting to hear what our preferences are as fans now we have won both. Prior to 2012 I remember there being simultaneously (yet paradoxically) a lot of general resentment for the Champions League (possibly out of a feeling, right or wrong, that we'd been cheated out of winning it in the past) and a lot of general desperation to win it (because we never had done before).

However I would like to deviate for just a minute on the question of whether maintaining a latter-stages Champions League run necessarily affects a team's league form.

In 6 out of the last 10 seasons, the Champions League winners have also won their domestic title. However we should check how far the actual league winners advanced in the four exceptions:

Real Madrid (2013-14), who finished 3rd in La Liga. The winners Atletico got to the final of the Champions League.

Chelsea (2011-12), who finished 6th in the Premier League. The winners Man City were knocked out at the group stage.

AC Milan (2006-07), who finished 4th in Serie A. The winners Inter were knocked out at the last 16.

Liverpool (2004-05), who finished 5th in the Premier League. The winners Chelsea were knocked out in the semi-finals.

So even in two out of those four exceptions, the team that won the league progressed far enough in the Champions League for it to have a serious impact on the number of the games they played. The only exceptions are Man City in 2011-12 and Inter in 2006-07. This suggests to me that most of the time, if you are good enough to win one, you are good enough to win the other.

I couldn't give a flying f**k about the corrupt European League by stealth Non Champions can win it league ................and would not bother me at all if we never played in it again .

Any competition that stops fans buying seats to accommodate bigger advertising hoardings can do one . Then you take money from a major brewery but deny fans the right to have beer at the ground ...............

Premier League and FA Cup for me all day long

I have to disagree. Of course you need some luck to win the Champions League, but the best clubs of the world are in it and so it has much more prestige to it. Playing clubs like Bayern, Barca or Real Madrid are massively different from playing Arsenal or Man City. The level of the Premier League has really went down over the last couple of years and so the prestige of winning it has taken a hit as well.

When Liverpool won the CL where they the best club in Europe in your opinion? A team that has not won their domestic league in 25 years and the year in question finished 5th 30 odd points behind the winners.

Although I would like to see Mourinho win his 3rd CL with a 3rd club, my love is the league. Winning the double gets harder and harder, I fear. We would need more strenghth in depth and a manager who actually rotates the squad more often :-)

However my answer is that I would prefer us to win the league. The Champions League is admittedly more dramatic, more prestigious, and in theory gives us bragging rights over a continent rather than just a country, but there is nothing quite as pure and wonderful as winning the league title. When I was young it was what I dreamed of us doing one day (not really believing it would happen), I'm not sure I really ever even conceived of us winning the Champions League.

When Liverpool won the CL where they the best club in Europe in your opinion? A team that has not won their domestic league in 25 years and the year in question finished 5th 30 odd points behind the winners.

Winning the CL doesn't automatically mean you are the best club in Europe, no. I don't think we were the best club in Europe when we won it in 2012. But that's not relevant for what i said though. I don't think anyone will disagree about the CL being the biggest and most prestigious club competition in the world. I also think that if you win the league so easily, but you can't progress seriously in Europe, it says a lot about the quality of your league.

I do think the question here is completely wrong. We shouldn't be talking about one or the other. As a Chelsea fan, i expect my club to challenge for all cups because we are one of the biggest clubs in the world. We should be able to win the PL, CL, FA Cup, ... on a regular basis or at least get far in the competition. The way we crashed out of the FA Cup and CL this season are shameful.

The league for me and I can see for many others too,

But then I think of our players, who now probably want the Champions League after winning the PL. I was desperate for Frank, JT, Dids, Pete and Ash to win the CL and they did, so for that I think I got my wish, I can't ask for anything more.

Except more major trophies please.

Winning the CL doesn't automatically mean you are the best club in Europe, no. I don't think we were the best club in Europe when we won it in 2012. But that's not relevant for what i said though. I don't think anyone will disagree about the CL being the biggest and most prestigious club competition in the world. I also think that if you win the league so easily, but you can't progress seriously in Europe, it says a lot about the quality of your league.

I do think the question here is completely wrong. We shouldn't be talking about one or the other. As a Chelsea fan, i expect my club to challenge for all cups because we are one of the biggest clubs in the world. We should be able to win the PL, CL, FA Cup, ... on a regular basis or at least get far in the competition. The way we crashed out of the FA Cup and CL this season are shameful.

The CL has actually pretty much killed the quality of domestic football. I don't want to sound to condescending but i don't think there is a non condescending way to put this, but im assuming you grew up in the CL generation? 

For me it's a pumped up competition that has lost it's soul and desamated football across Europe. 

Any way, we didn't "crash" out of Europe as you put it. I am not ashamed about drawing with a team that is actually every bit as good as us and better then us on the night. We didn't loose a game in the whole CL competition this year. 

We could ask the question, would you support Chelsea if they had never made the CL, I imagine many fans are aware of us because of the CL and so it's understandable that is the competition that segment would priorotise 

Archived