Possible transfers?

blues-fever
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Since we have become a European super club, we are always linked with the heavy hitters on the transfer market. Great and dandy, we need big names to continue on the path we are on, however, we also need those industrial names that will get the job done without the glitz and glamour, ie. Azpilicueta.

Im surprised that we did not make a run at Ricardo Rodriguez, young LB/RB who could provide nice cover for Dave/Baba and Ivanovic, hes not getting any younger, as we have seen in the first three matches.

Its quite hard to grab younger players because the established/senior players are not going to let go of the position so easily, but I would like to see Varane come in at some point, that dual partnership with Zouma would be awesome.

Idk about everyone else's thoughts, what do you think?

Cheers.

Laporte would be my ideal partner for Zouma...both young and French...but Laporte's buy-out clause has recently been upped to €50m and AB are notoriously difficult to deal with...probably have to activate the full buy-out clause and deal with all it's contiguous Spanish tax issues...

Edited by doctorblue

I havent read much on Laporte, but if partnership with Zouma would benefit, why not bring him on board if the price is right. I agree, Javi Martinez could be a nice cover for Matic and Cesc, and hes younger than Mikel, hes a whole story on his own.

I am not really sure we have a plan B in place for us missing out on Stones and Pogba. If, as seems likely, those deals do not pan out we may sign no one, or Jose may have an Etoó or two up his sleeve.

Varane and Javi Martinez would be a nice coup. Dont forget about Axel Witzel, that would be a nice pairing with Matic, freeing up Cesc to wear his magic hat a bit further up the fiield.

Varane and Javi Martinez would be a nice coup. Dont forget about Axel Witzel, that would be a nice pairing with Matic, freeing up Cesc to wear his magic hat a bit further up the fiield.

We won't get any of those players though

I can't see us getting Stones after today's developments. It does seem strange that we would still continue to put 4 bids in if there was no encouragement to do so.

Pogba is a player we're obviously interested in but I can't see it happening either. The deal is too big and seem s like a type of player that Barca or Real would sign.

We'll probably end up with a couple of stop gap signings - which seems like a terrible wallet of effort and money.

Its hard to know who we are after since usually everything is just rumours. Why should we not go after Varane, Witzel and Martinez. Varane seems unsettled in Madrid, Martinez is not getting or looks to be getting any games in Munich. Witzel deserves better than playing in Russia, IMO.

varane - would be a great great addition but pretty unrealistic. Dont think Real are even considering selling him.

Laporte - 50mil euros buy out. definitely has the potential to be world class. we should definitely be looking into him.

garay - technically, a brilliant CB but with the high line that we want to play, he would not be as good. pretty much on the lines of mertesacker with arsenal.

inigo martinez - pacy, technically brilliant. but has lapses in concentration. not the luiz kind but enough to make him a wee-bit of liability in defence.

aymen abdennour - probably the best and the most cost effective option out there. a solid, no nonsense defender. just turned 26, good on the ball, brilliant in the air. i think he would be an azpi-like steal.

in case of CMs, the options are very few but there are some available.

pogba - not happening, not worth talking about. he is REAL/BARCA bound.

witsel - a good center midfielder. not flashy but has a brilliant passing range, very good defensively and a midfielder who generally can control the midfield. for the rumored 30mil euros, he would be a great buy and a great option to have in case of big games or if we want to tactically change to 4-3-3.

moutinho - class player. absolutely class. in the cesc mould but far better defensively. has a great vision and is a brilliant set piece taker (which is someone we really really need). only bad thing is that he is injured for a month.

carvalho - would cost a lot to be a back up since jose seems adamant about not dropping matic or rotating much. but as a player, he is a very good DM. is not as good as matic when going forward. also, i think mikel can do the required job as the second DM.

just my thoughts on some of the possible transfers.

Awful transfer window in general considering players who are available to sign.

In the previous few years you had players like:

Falcao, Cavani, Pastore, Neymar, Hazard, Willian, Costa, Cabaye, Moutinho, Hulk, Neuer, James Rodriguez, Modric, Javi Martinez, Benatia, Bale, Sanchez, Fabregas, Gotze, Lewandowski, Hummels, Subotic, Gundogan ...

who were ready to move to a new club and we're either on top of their game or had the potential to be among the best in the world.

This year, barely any hot player to try and pursue. Not even Pogba wants to move, and even though Pedro is an awesome player, he is 28 and isn't in this pot with other superstars. Only 3 that I find interesting for us are Koke, Griezmann and Reus, and it seems neither is even thinking of leaving their clubs.

Too much dross in an inflated market. Basically there is no value anymore. City are spending 58mil on De Bruyne alone. 

I feel like next summer will be a good summer to invest heavily on young players that might breakthrough this year. 

I wonder if clubs are holding on to players because they know next season when the new prem league deal kicks in values will rocket once again.