Romelu Lukaku

2 hours ago, Zeta said:

On his day he's a great striker, but he has neither of those things. Every single game, whether he's on form or not, he will get the ball, take too long on it, and then try and nutmeg someone and lose it, about 17 times.

Is that Costa?

One of the main reasons i worry about signing Lukaku is the irrational stick he gets from section of chelsea fans, same as what Sturridge  had...while flops like sheva, Torres, Kezman were backed to the hilt, a lot of people want to just focus on lukaku's faults...I'm not saying he's perfect, but I'm not so vitriolic about him. I just worry with the price tag and this attitude from some fans, the pressure will be too much...if this guy was boasting this goal record at 23, doing this in Spain or Italy (and hadn't played for us before), everyone would be getting excited about us buying him

Right now we are seeing the best of Lukaku and the worst of Costa, maybe a bit optimistic to believe Lukaku could replace Costa next season. He's a better dribbler and dangerous when he has room to move, probably won't get that much freedom playing for us. Buying Lukaku back is fine with me, but we need another option, not Batyshuyi as the second striker.

People here forget that players can improve, we remember Lukaku as a player with a bad attitude, kind of lazy striker and more negatives on him. But in these years he has improved and now he is the best scorer in the league, 24 goals without scoring a penalty!

Seeing him playing with us would be amazing, players like Hazard, Pedro, Fabregas will be behind him. Barkley and Lukaku have destroyed few teams together, so imagine how he will do with Hazard and under Conte who gets 100% from his players.

It's easy to judge him by his past, he is one of the most improved players in the league and he deserves to play in a top team. Only 23 years old and already experienced in the best league in the world.

We must go for him.

I believe we actually debated whether or not he can improve a few months back and some actually argued it was unlikely lol.

Romelu Lukaku is the only Premier League player to score 5+ goals with their left foot, right and head.

10 left
7 right
6 head

I think that debate has been firmly put to rest

20 hours ago, 54veteran said:

As someone who can command a place in the Spanish national side. Fast thinking, fast feet, and a pain in the backside to opposing defences. Often ploughs a lonely furrow, gets kicked all over the place, and occasionally wins free kicks around the box. Nearly always works his socks off  I think Lukaku might sink without trace in CL company

Your original post i replied to said the " The days of the big no.9 are surely over"........well aint Costa a big no9??

2 hours ago, Zola said:

Scoring loads of goals but I am still not sure I am sold on him, theres also somethign about him that annoys me. 

His big mouth probably :smile:

Honestly same with me I see the goal scoring ability, and his positive attributes but he is a big huffy prick who thinks too much of himself, I just don't like him, his attitude problem isn't something we needn't in this squad, look at him vs harry Kane for example both young strikers flying in the league but Kane keeps his head down does his stuff doesn't moan and act like a diva, I just don't want lukaku at the club that's one good player mou sold that I have no issue with. 

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I really can't remember Costa ever holding the ball up particularly well or linking up with team mates consistently.

Then you must have an incredibly short memory. How anyone can say Lukakus hold up play is better than Costa`s is beyond me.

20 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Because Lukaku holds the play up and Diego doesn't, pretty self explanatory really.

No, no he doesnt. Amazing how a few months of poor form by Costa and suddenly everything is rewritten. Lukaku`s hold up play is atrocious the majority of times.

1 hour ago, RIP Mourinho said:

I really can't remember Costa ever holding the ball up particularly well or linking up with team mates consistently.

He done it plenty at the start of the season, go back and watch us.

Lukaku is horrible at hold up play, his own teammate went mental at him because he couldn't hold it up a week ago.

5 minutes ago, Chelsbear said:

He done it plenty at the start of the season, go back and watch us.

Lukaku is horrible at hold up play, his own teammate went mental at him because he couldn't hold it up a week ago.

I assume you're on about the Utd game? Go watch that game and no one gets close to offer him a pass or option, i'll see if i can find the clips on youtube but there's only so much someone can do when they're on their own. 

Edit: See below clip. Wins the majority of 50/50's and lays off the pass. A few occasions he should have passed instead of shooting but overall i'd say it was pretty good holding off the defenders and bringing in team mates when they're nearby.

If this is bad then Costa is beyond shocking. Loses a lot of headers and refuses to make the easy pass, choosing to turn and try to knock the ball through the defenders legs, don't think its ever worked for him.

Edited by RIP Mourinho

I don't think that video advanced your cause at all.  There was a lot of shooting when the better option would have been a pass, a lot of arm-waving in the air, two or maybe three passes that went to a team-mate in a usable position, two defensive headers and several flick-ons that went nowhere and a f**k-load of losing the ball.  All in all, not greatly impressive.  Maybe you want to pick another match?

1 hour ago, yorkleyblue said:

I don't think that video advanced your cause at all.  There was a lot of shooting when the better option would have been a pass, a lot of arm-waving in the air, two or maybe three passes that went to a team-mate in a usable position, two defensive headers and several flick-ons that went nowhere and a f**k-load of losing the ball.  All in all, not greatly impressive.  Maybe you want to pick another match?

Hi Yorkey, do you mind quoting me next time as i almost missed this. I posted this video as this is the match in which everyone was getting on his back for. I think you should go and watch it again.

00:22 - Holds off the Utd centre back, retains possession and lays off the CM to break starting an attack.

00:26 - Quick pass out wide to keep Everton in possession.

00:28 - Same as first point, holds off CB, lays off to team mate to spark attack. 

00:33 - Average first touch yet still gets the pass off.

00:36 - Does well to turn the defender and leave him for dead, should have cut the ball back sooner.

00:49 - Wins the header and flicks on to team mates. 

00:55 - Runs the channel well, should have cut it back instead of shooting. Team mates were hardly busting a gut to give him an option though.

1:19 - 1:28 - Holds up play whilst everton can get forward and lays off passes.

1:29 - Poor vision, should have looked up and passed.

1:46 - Holds off the defender and wins a foul.

1:48 - Very sloppy.

1:55 - Prime example off being on his own and no other option, look at Barkley just jogging up.

2:05 - Good hold up play.

2:19 - Draws the foul.

2:25 - Poor touch. 

2:30 - Very dangerous ball into the box, no one gambling. 

2:39 - Poor touch. 

2:41 - Another great ball into the box, again no team mates gambling. 

2:48 - Wins the flick on. 

2:54 - Holds off defender, keeps Everton in possession. 

3:04 - Holds Utd defenders off until someone can come and support and lays off the pass.

3:12 - Wins the first ball against 2 defenders, not much to do there.

3:16 - Spins defender and breaks. Once again everton player jogging at back post not offering a square ball. 

3:36 - Loses ball, looks knackered. 

3:43 - Wins knock on again, no everton player around supporting for the second ball. Are you seeing a recurring theme here yet??

3:47 - Beats defender to ball and plays in team mate.

As i said, i wasn't using this clip to claim he is brilliant. People were slating him after this game saying he was shocking, analyse it a bit further and he wasn't. 

If you would like me to break down another match for you i would be perfectly happy to do so pal. Possibly the game against Chelsea when he made Cahill look like a league 2 player?

13 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Hi Yorkey, do you mind quoting me next time as i almost missed this. I posted this video as this is the match in which everyone was getting on his back for. I think you should go and watch it again.

00:22 - Holds off the Utd centre back, retains possession and lays off the CM to break starting an attack.

00:26 - Quick pass out wide to keep Everton in possession.

00:28 - Same as first point, holds off CB, lays off to team mate to spark attack. 

00:33 - Average first touch yet still gets the pass off.

00:36 - Does well to turn the defender and leave him for dead, should have cut the ball back sooner.

00:49 - Wins the header and flicks on to team mates. 

00:55 - Runs the channel well, should have cut it back instead of shooting. Team mates were hardly busting a gut to give him an option though.

1:19 - 1:28 - Holds up play whilst everton can get forward and lays off passes.

1:29 - Poor vision, should have looked up and passed.

1:46 - Holds off the defender and wins a foul.

1:48 - Very sloppy.

1:55 - Prime example off being on his own and no other option, look at Barkley just jogging up.

2:05 - Good hold up play.

2:19 - Draws the foul.

2:25 - Poor touch. 

2:30 - Very dangerous ball into the box, no one gambling. 

2:39 - Poor touch. 

2:41 - Another great ball into the box, again no team mates gambling. 

2:48 - Wins the flick on. 

2:54 - Holds off defender, keeps Everton in possession. 

3:04 - Holds Utd defenders off until someone can come and support and lays off the pass.

3:12 - Wins the first ball against 2 defenders, not much to do there.

3:16 - Spins defender and breaks. Once again everton player jogging at back post not offering a square ball. 

3:36 - Loses ball, looks knackered. 

3:43 - Wins knock on again, no everton player around supporting for the second ball. Are you seeing a recurring theme here yet??

3:47 - Beats defender to ball and plays in team mate.

As i said, i wasn't using this clip to claim he is brilliant. People were slating him after this game saying he was shocking, analyse it a bit further and he wasn't. 

If you would like me to break down another match for you i would be perfectly happy to do so pal. Possibly the game against Chelsea when he made Cahill look like a league 2 player?

As a comparison, maybe you should do a Costa game