Spurs v Chelsea (LC) Tues 29th Sep 19:45 GMT

Imran_CFC

I am fairly sure that I have posted on here already, that I am and always will be, one of Frank's biggest fans (AS A PLAYER).    But I am growing increasingly concerned by our combined inability to change things when its clearly going wrong. unlike Jose at half time last night where he realised his tactics were not working and knew what to do to change it.  Spuds changed but we did not. As someone else has posted, our bench looks devoid of ideas, lack of a real tactical game plan is also worrying. The players and tactics (Mount excluded) change every week and before somebody says, this is to give squad players game time, that would be ok if we won the big games, but we don't and the same frailties are always there despite the personnel. We also have a total inability to get through 90 mins without one player (sometimes more - Christensen & Kepa) making a critical mistake. Would SAF's United or Klippety's Scousers keep on making these mistakes? no of course not, they would be simply coached out or the culprit players discarded. We certainly have enough players to discard a few !!

With the spend in this window, we now have a MUCH stronger squad on paper, but we do need someone to identify the strengths, weaknesses and personallities of this squad and devise a plan (maybe two A & B) and then stick to the f**king thing. I sincerely hope that man is Frank, but I do have reservations, which seem to grow each game that we play.

On 28/09/2020 at 20:37, Gol15 said:

Unless Havertz magically solves this game it can be a tough one for sure, we're still getting the hang of this new lineup so it's a 50-50 game...

Kai didn't play so it really was a 50-50 game till the very last penalty kick :laugh2:

19 hours ago, SlantyTown said:

There are several other posters all calling for Frank to go.

They're all trolling too I presume?

At least eight posts calling for Frank to go from yourself within a period of one or two hours, nice. I think Frank may be on thin ice and i'm sure many on here are aware of that.

Your behavior appears unusual in comparison to others and as such i believe Frank may be around longer than you. Who do you support by the way?

Edited by One Tommy Langley

11 hours ago, bluedave said:

Personally, I think this competition should have been cancelled completely to clear some space in the season‘s ridiculously crowded schedule. Let’s concentrate our efforts on the completions that matter. I hope Spurs get all the way to the final then lose to Burnley.

And just as most people said, restarting the league last season was a huge mistake, it's f**ked things right up this season which will carry onto the next season and on top of that we have to cram in the EURO's and a dodgy World Cup that's in January. 

4 hours ago, coombsie said:

I am fairly sure that I have posted on here already, that I am and always will be, one of Frank's biggest fans (AS A PLAYER).    But I am growing increasingly concerned by our combined inability to change things when its clearly going wrong. unlike Jose at half time last night where he realised his tactics were not working and knew what to do to change it.  Spuds changed but we did not. As someone else has posted, our bench looks devoid of ideas, lack of a real tactical game plan is also worrying. The players and tactics (Mount excluded) change every week and before somebody says, this is to give squad players game time, that would be ok if we won the big games, but we don't and the same frailties are always there despite the personnel. We also have a total inability to get through 90 mins without one player (sometimes more - Christensen & Kepa) making a critical mistake. Would SAF's United or Klippety's Scousers keep on making these mistakes? no of course not, they would be simply coached out or the culprit players discarded. We certainly have enough players to discard a few !!

With the spend in this window, we now have a MUCH stronger squad on paper, but we do need someone to identify the strengths, weaknesses and personallities of this squad and devise a plan (maybe two A & B) and then stick to the f**king thing. I sincerely hope that man is Frank, but I do have reservations, which seem to grow each game that we play.

This is very harsh on Lamps. He does normaly show the willingness to change things with subs, as he did last Saturday. Obviously last night he was slow to react to Spurs upping the tempo hugely after half time, but he put on Kante to improve the midfield and Tammy to improve the attack. Both had an impact, and if we'd taken our chances (CHO, MM) we'd have won comfortably. Emerson was a planned change as Chillwell is being 'phased in' slowly, and he was at fault for the equaliser.

I share everyone's frustration that we have not hit the ground running, and that no part of the team is yet functioning well, but the season has barely started, and we have some key additions to come in and strengthen the side.

Did not take the opportunities that came our way with CHO and Mount picking the wrong options and Werner wasting a good chance. So were punished.

A tad surprised Werner did not take a pen, he scored one for RB vs Spurs last season.

Ah well, most of the time we dont do well in shootouts, bar that one special night in Munich.

12 hours ago, Backbiter said:

This is very harsh on Lamps. He does normaly show the willingness to change things with subs, as he did last Saturday. Obviously last night he was slow to react to Spurs upping the tempo hugely after half time, but he put on Kante to improve the midfield and Tammy to improve the attack. Both had an impact, and if we'd taken our chances (CHO, MM) we'd have won comfortably. Emerson was a planned change as Chillwell is being 'phased in' slowly, and he was at fault for the equaliser.

I share everyone's frustration that we have not hit the ground running, and that no part of the team is yet functioning well, but the season has barely started, and we have some key additions to come in and strengthen the side.

I admit that it is harsh on Lamps, but not sure about VERY. Bringing on Kante was good, but Emerson for Chilwell was disastrous. If Chilwell was not match fit, he could have brought on James and switched Dave to LB. I didn't think the Tammy change did much, but Giroud was isolated and ineffective because we could/would not use him as a target man.  By "combined" inability to change things I meant that Frank does not seem to be getting too much support or tactical suggestions from Jody or Joe Edwards. Very rarely are they seen discussing, pointing, looking at an Ipad or note book, so is Frank getting enough support ??

I was also looking at the progress since Frank took over. Getting top 4 and a cup final was excellent, but has anything really changed or improved too much since July 2019? For every good result, we get a bad one. Sometimes it looks as though we have hit upon an excellent strategy, only to change it and the personnel in the next game. Summing all of this up, I just don't think that (Mount excepted again) Frank has any idea what his best and starting XI looks like. I completely accept that the new boys need time to settle in and adapt, but these are World class footballers,  not inexperienced kids, so integrating them when fit should be a doddle for a coach that can tell them precisely what he wants and expects and what the clear tactics of the side are on the pitch.

If Sarri, Conte, or Rafa was delivering this type of inconsistent performance, they would be castigated

22 hours ago, venom2011 said:

We looked much better with the ball against West Brom. I enjoyed a lot of the first half actually. This was an XI shorn of any creativity really so I suppose that was to be somewhat expected. Relying on an out-of-position CHO (with no James to work off) and Mount is never going to bring consistent results. 

Ofc we're going to look good against West Brom. It's West Brom!

I posted this in the rumours section but if it belongs anywhere its here:

What we are missing is a settled team and a settled system. 

From Mourinho 1 to Mourinho 2 we played 4:3:3

Under conte we went to 5 2 3 or three at the back

Under sarri we played sarri ball

Under Lampard we have played every system there is and put different players in every position for each of those systems. I am not criticising Lampard per se. He just hasn't settled on anything or maybe believes its better to be flexible.

The result is that in attack we don't have a clear plan for getting the ball from the back to the front. The plan A approach which for lots of teams means working the ball around one side and the middle until the defence gets drawn over and then doing a big  switch to the other side, or with 3 at the back just using the overlapping wing backs. So for Chelsea right now no Plan A in attack and in defence because we chop and change the defence there is no responsibility. Putting the blame on one guy being out of position for a goal doesn't matter because that person probably won't be playing in that position next game. And we don't get the defensive cohesiveness that sense of individual and collective responsibility. Hopefully we get there soon and if Rice is what makes it happen terrific.

The big advantage of structure is that when things go wrong you just fall back to the structure. The disadvantage of structure is its rigidity and ultimately predictability.

So for  me Frank needs to settle on a  team and a system and he has to do it pretty soon. Time, tide and the premier league wait for no man. We are already 5 points behind and have looked basically clueless.

Another problem is that Frank has started blaming something  in public. Mostly he blames lack of pre season etc. Blaming and whinging in public, making excuses is never a good look. 

I think Frank can be the perfect coach for Chelsea for years and management have backed him in a way they never backed Conte. But now he has to stand up and deliver that is all there is to it.

7 hours ago, coombsie said:

I admit that it is harsh on Lamps, but not sure about VERY. Bringing on Kante was good, but Emerson for Chilwell was disastrous. If Chilwell was not match fit, he could have brought on James and switched Dave to LB. I didn't think the Tammy change did much, but Giroud was isolated and ineffective because we could/would not use him as a target man.  By "combined" inability to change things I meant that Frank does not seem to be getting too much support or tactical suggestions from Jody or Joe Edwards. Very rarely are they seen discussing, pointing, looking at an Ipad or note book, so is Frank getting enough support ??

I was also looking at the progress since Frank took over. Getting top 4 and a cup final was excellent, but has anything really changed or improved too much since July 2019? For every good result, we get a bad one. Sometimes it looks as though we have hit upon an excellent strategy, only to change it and the personnel in the next game. Summing all of this up, I just don't think that (Mount excepted again) Frank has any idea what his best and starting XI looks like. I completely accept that the new boys need time to settle in and adapt, but these are World class footballers,  not inexperienced kids, so integrating them when fit should be a doddle for a coach that can tell them precisely what he wants and expects and what the clear tactics of the side are on the pitch.

If Sarri, Conte, or Rafa was delivering this type of inconsistent performance, they would be castigated

No arguments from me that Lamps is unclear what the best first XI is, or what the ideal formation is for this group of players. It is a fact that he has shown flexibility, a willingness to change things when the tide is against us, a willingness to experiment, and a willingness to give youngsters a chance.

Those are all huge pluses, but by demonstrating all those positives he is inevitably open to the charge of not having a settled side or settled way of saying, and these are obvious weaknesses. 

He is a bright bloke and he knows this. This huge new influx of players is a massive opportunity, but just because he has world class players to pick from, the process of arriving at the most effective combinations will not happen instantly.

1 minute ago, Backbiter said:

This huge new influx of players is a massive opportunity, but just because he has world class players to pick from, the process of arriving at the most effective combinations will not happen instantly.

This 100%. You could clearly see Giroud and Werner have no idea how to work together yet as they were always picking the wrong ball to each other or the wrong movement.

Not fussed about being out of the league cup to be honest. These season is squashed together because of forcing last seasons finish and the up coming Euros and 2022 winter world cup.

Less games can help and winning the league cup would not redeem our season of we finish 5th or lower with no FA cup or CL.

Mendy looked solid and did what was need when called upon, bar the one dropped catch. Seemed to give the defenders confidence on set pieces.

Though clearly not a keeper for a shootout yet.

15 hours ago, coombsie said:

I think until we see Pulisic back and Ziyech starting and post the October transfer window we are are going to be chopping and changing though expect Mendy to start nearly every match unless he is injured. 

On 01/10/2020 at 07:47, Deino said:

Ofc we're going to look good against West Brom. It's West Brom!

Yeah, the West Brom that's won 3 out of their last 5 at Old Trafford, 2 of their last 3 at home to Arsenal and are unbeaten in 3 vs Liverpool.

I do find it funny we're constantly told how great the PL is and "there's no easy games" but whenever we do something good against a team outside the top 8 it's "we should be doing that it's only (insert name here)"

9 hours ago, Argo said:

Yeah, the West Brom that's won 3 out of their last 5 at Old Trafford, 2 of their last 3 at home to Arsenal and are unbeaten in 3 vs Liverpool.

I do find it funny we're constantly told how great the PL is and "there's no easy games" but whenever we do something good against a team outside the top 8 it's "we should be doing that it's only (insert name here)"

Each team has gone out of the blocks rusty. Every one of West Brom's games have been turgid except when they were up against us