Antoine Griezmann

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

@enigma Why? Both of those players are already at their peak. Dybala and Griezmann aren't, and yet they are still playing at a comparable level. Besides, injuries have stripped Thiago Alcantara of a lot of his quickness which would reduce his effectiveness in his role at Chelsea.

I think it's splitting hairs between Dybala and Griezmann, although the question marks still remain over whether Griezmann is a big-game player. Neither look likely to come to Chelsea, with Griezmann almost certainly headed for Manchester United and Dybala unlikely to leave Juventus any time soon for anywhere but Barcelona.

That said, I'm beginning to question whether the wide forward/attacking midfield position is even needed to be filled. Musonda, Jeremie Boga, Tammy Abraham etc. are all very capable of filling that role and excelling. We will never know if we don't give them a chance.

we need creativity behind costa, and a player like thiago would be ideal. having a muller who is hardworking, versatile and a goal scorer would also add something to our squad. saying that, i doubt bayern lets go of neither, especially muller. thiago would probably follow only pep, but never know. 

On 28/11/2016 at 22:31, SydneyChelsea said:

@enigma Why? Both of those players are already at their peak. Dybala and Griezmann aren't, and yet they are still playing at a comparable level. Besides, injuries have stripped Thiago Alcantara of a lot of his quickness which would reduce his effectiveness in his role at Chelsea.

I think it's splitting hairs between Dybala and Griezmann, although the question marks still remain over whether Griezmann is a big-game player. Neither look likely to come to Chelsea, with Griezmann almost certainly headed for Manchester United and Dybala unlikely to leave Juventus any time soon for anywhere but Barcelona.

That said, I'm beginning to question whether the wide forward/attacking midfield position is even needed to be filled. Musonda, Jeremie Boga, Tammy Abraham etc. are all very capable of filling that role and excelling. We will never know if we don't give them a chance.

I'd say his performances at euro 2016 dispelled that myth

On 30.11.2016 at 15:13, enigma said:

we need creativity behind costa, and a player like thiago would be ideal. having a muller who is hardworking, versatile and a goal scorer would also add something to our squad. saying that, i doubt bayern lets go of neither, especially muller. thiago would probably follow only pep, but never know. 

Griezmann is also hardworking, versatile and a goal scorer. Plus he's superior to Müller technically and his link up play is second to none. I'd take him over Müller (who I rate too btw) every day.

51 minutes ago, jamie#8 said:

Out of Interest, where would Griezman play? Only position for him in this system is Pedro/Willian spot.

Completely different role to where he has been excelling.

Don't think it's completely different. Right now he mainly plays as a second striker with freedom to roam, in our 3-4-3 he would be an inverted striker with freedom to roam. I wouldn't buy him as a winger because I think his qualities would be wasted in that position, but in the 3-4-3 the wingbacks are the ones responsible of providing the majority of the width and in effect the right and the left forward play way closer to the goal. It's not their job to beat players on the halfway line and whip in crosses anymore. They are closer to the goal, get to link up with the striker more, have less to do defensively, so I think Griezmann would do well in that system.

Edited by True Blue23

He would be best suited to a 442, 343 or 352, which makes it weird that United want to buy him. He would not fit into Mou's 4231 where he'd be a lone striker or a winger. I am convinced United make purchases based purely on names. 

On 12/8/2016 at 11:53, True Blue23 said:

Don't think it's completely different. Right now he mainly plays as a second striker with freedom to roam, in our 3-4-3 he would be an inverted striker with freedom to roam. I wouldn't buy him as a winger because I think his qualities would be wasted in that position, but in the 3-4-3 the wingbacks are the ones responsible of providing the majority of the width and in effect the right and the left forward play way closer to the goal. It's not their job to beat players on the halfway line and whip in crosses anymore. They are closer to the goal, get to link up with the striker more, have less to do defensively, so I think Griezmann would do well in that system.

This is why Griezmann, Dybala or Sanchez would be perfect for us in 3-4-3. We get an upgrade in Willian/Pedros position and a very good backup for Costa. 

• 2 weeks later...

It would be surprising for Madrid to sell him during a transfer ban but if Griezmann believes that he can't win the league/Champions League with them then he might force a move out. £84million is the supposed release clause. Seems he'd come to us or United if his destination was England. He does supposedly support United and has Pogba & Martial there to welcome him while we have Zouma & Kante but they seem the type who'd keep themselves to themselves when away with France. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 20:50, xXRuufioXx said:

Is this one a non starter for us then? Is he Manchester bound or are we in for a shout?

He's Manchester bound. This is so annoying. All we need is one more X factor player to take the attention of Hazard and we can do so much damage. Griezmann is in that mould. I can't understand why we haven't pulled out all the stops to compete for his signature. This club needs a marquee signing on the back of a PL title. 

9 minutes ago, KonaKai Blue said:

He's Manchester bound. This is so annoying. All we need is one more X factor player to take the attention of Hazard and we can do so much damage. Griezmann is in that mould. I can't understand why we haven't pulled out all the stops to compete for his signature. This club needs a marquee signing on the back of a PL title. 

Griezmann is a SS. He would be less effective as a RF, believe it or not. United are perfectly suited for him. We'd have to change our formation to truly accommodate him. If we get Sanchez, none of this will matter anyway.

Just now, Barrettinator said:

Griezmann is a SS. He would be less effective as a RF, believe it or not. United are perfectly suited for him. We'd have to change our formation to truly accommodate him. If we get Sanchez, none of this will matter anyway.

I think Griezmann is more than good enough to work in our system as opposed to us having to change our formation. World class players can adapt. I think he would work perfectly in games where we've had to play without Costa this season. Can't see us getting Sanchez at all.

Just now, KonaKai Blue said:

I think Griezmann is more than good enough to work in our system as opposed to us having to change our formation. World class players can adapt. I think he would work perfectly in games where we've had to play without Costa this season. Can't see us getting Sanchez at all.

We've seen world class players be hindered by being misused. You don't even have to look too far. Just look at United and the way Pogba is being used this season. Travesty. No reason to make a world record signing and force the player to adapt instead of bringing him into a seamless transition. It's actually more likely we sign Sanchez than Griezmann. Absolutely no chance of getting Griezmann. He has been United bound for a long time while Sanchez actually has Chelsea as a priority. Doubt Arsenal would say no to 50m but we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...