Chelsea vs Spurs (FA CUP) - 22nd April 2017

5 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

Just watched the game back on iplayer this morning and saw an hilarious clip that i missed first time around.

When Matic scores the wonder strike the camera pans to the crowd and a spud fan is turning to someone and saying:

"Shall we go home."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Fantastic.

I noticed it live and laughed out loud. Miserable lot. Could not get out of there fast enough. :biggrin:

Come on you Chelsea!! :bluescalf:

7 hours ago, Ernie_blue said:

I think your missing the point from Jenas. Chelsea did defend very well but Spurs was the more offensive team. Spurs had more possession but that happens when Chelsea are a counter attacking team and you have to be with Matic and Kante in the same team. What Jenas was saying is apart from the first 15mins Chelsea was on the back foot for the majority of the game which is the way I saw it. Go by the match thread at the time and it seems like it was too but of course a win changes all that ;)

What Jenas is saying is that Chelsea didn't create anything from open play which is true really. A free kick, pen, maybe the corner and regarding Matics goal he is saying that's the kind of wounder goal Matic will never score again and Spurs could do nothing about. TBH it summed up the match when he was awful and then scored that goal. I get what his saying because Chelsea in the past have not done alot in cup games and big league games but Drogba would pull one out the bag from no where.

Complete load of nonsense. It's foolish to try to press Spurs for 90 mins the way we did in the first 15 mins. We'd be spent by the 65 min mark and they'd pick us off. We HAD to counter. Besides, for all the supposed "more offensive" measures they took, how many chances did they create? Apart from the Alli goal, they really didn't create more than us and if they did, maybe by a whisker. Courtois was hardly bothered for much of that spell. Kane's goal was also from a corner. Willian's free kick was from Alderweild taking out Pedro who would have been one on one with Lloris. That isn't a chance to you? Moses would also have either had the opportunity to score or square a pass to Batshuayi if Son didn't bring him down. Stop trying to paint some picture that we virtually parked the bus. Conceding possession does not automatically make the other team "better". Jermaine Jenas is a salty idiot and I'm afraid you've bought his garbage. This was also a cup semi final. Who cares how one team plays? The most important thing is to go through! 

Didn't get back from the game until late last night and still not sure how we won that 4-2!

We were in Club Wembley but thankfully right next to Chelsea end and there was some good natured banter with Spurs fans. But at times it was very uncomfortable viewing. Until we made the subs thought we were getting battered and just kept giving the ball back to them and so glad they never got their noses in front as if they had I don't think we would have got back. But fair play to Conte and the team - immense effort. Thought Luiz, Ake and Kante were brilliant and Hazard mad a massive difference when he came on. Can't stand Ali and that awful f**king song Spurs sing but have to admit he is decent, as is Erikson who once again caused us huge problems.

Just so relieved with the outcome and it was great going to Wembley Park after with all the stick between the sets of fans. Few fisticuffs and police were kept busy but nothing too major and when you've won, the songs are always that much sweeter - looking at those dejected Spud faces!!

"Antonio, Antonio...........!!!"

Edited by Nibs

Still buzzing about the win. Come on mates. Ten extra pages debating who won the beauty contest from yesterday? Enjoy the win. Let Spurs make themselves feel better if they are daft enough to think they were clearly the better club yesterday.

It is an interesting one from the standpoint I watched a lot of post match yesterday (BBC and Fox in the States) and it was a mix of opinion just like in here. Some felt Spurs just dominated. Others like Alan Shearer felt we controlled the match and deserved the win. I think a lot is getting lost in the fact Conte made tactical choices allowing Spurs possession while pressing them fiercely. You can see this in the few shots on goal Spurs had. How many good looks did they get? Very few. Yes, Spurs have a very good squad. Perhaps the most dangerous club in England going forward. We held them to TWO and they also have conceded the fewest in England we put FOUR past them, the most of any PL Club all year. Must have done something right. :wink:

Have a pint or two and let's enjoy the lack of Spurs crowing and get ready for the run in starting Tuesday at the Bridge vs Southampton.

Come on you Chelsea!! :bluescalf::bluescalf:

Oh, forgot to ask. Who would you rather face in the final, Arsenal or City? 0-0 at 54' at the moment.

I feel Gooners would be the better match up for us and I think they would lack confidence against us. Unless Wenger announces it is his final game just before kickoff making it the Wenger going away party, we would have the motivational edge.

Come on you Chelsea!! :bluescalf::bluescalf:

1 minute ago, Barrettinator said:

Complete load of nonsense. It's foolish to try to press Spurs for 90 mins the way we did in the first 15 mins. We'd be spent by the 65 min mark and they'd pick us off. We HAD to counter. Besides, for all the supposed "more offensive" measures they took, how many chances did they create? Apart from the Alli goal, they really didn't create more than us and if they did, maybe by a whisker. Courtois was hardly bothered for much of that spell. Kane's goal was also from a corner. Willian's free kick was from Alderweild taking out Pedro who would have been one on one with Lloris. That isn't a chance to you? Moses would also have either had the opportunity to score or square a pass to Batshuayi if Son didn't bring him down. Stop trying to paint some picture that we virtually parked the bus. Conceding possession does not automatically make the other team "better". Jermaine Jenas is a salty idiot and I'm afraid you've bought his garbage. This was also a cup semi final. Who cares how one team plays? The most important thing is to go through! 

I never said you press Spurs for 90mins and Chelsea are not a pressing team like Liverpool and Spurs anyway. Chelsea had to counter because Spurs have a better midfield with better quality. I know some people get really offended by this but Chelsea are a counter attacking team. It doesn't mean their boring, it's not a bad thing ok so everyone calm down. Mourinho is counter attacking, his jealous of how Chelsea play. Being a great counter attacking team is a skill and you need all the right players. Chelsea only play with one player who can truly break through a defence and that's Hazard, for example yesterday if Spurs sat back then Willian and Pedro would of been playing square balls and Matic passing it back all game. I don't know why teams don't sit back more against Chelsea TBH. Lloris was hardly bothered. Pedro was no way one on one, he had about 3 players round him.

Spurs was the more offensive team, they created two excellent goals from open play which I'm not sure Chelsea could do if they was the team constantly attacking. Apart from those two lapse moments Chelsea defended well and that should be applauded. 

Theres no harm in being a counter attacking team, it wins trophies.

3 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

I never said you press Spurs for 90mins and Chelsea are not a pressing team like Liverpool and Spurs anyway. Chelsea had to counter because Spurs have a better midfield with better quality. I know some people get really offended by this but Chelsea are a counter attacking team. It doesn't mean their boring, it's not a bad thing ok so everyone calm down. Mourinho is counter attacking, his jealous of how Chelsea play. Being a great counter attacking team is a skill and you need all the right players. Chelsea only play with one player who can truly break through a defence and that's Hazard, for example yesterday if Spurs sat back then Willian and Pedro would of been playing square balls and Matic passing it back all game. I don't know why teams don't sit back more against Chelsea TBH. Lloris was hardly bothered. Pedro was no way one on one, he had about 3 players round him.

Spurs was the more offensive team, they created two excellent goals from open play which I'm not sure Chelsea could do if they was the team constantly attacking. Apart from those two lapse moments Chelsea defended well and that should be applauded. 

Theres no harm in being a counter attacking team, it wins trophies.

Didn't say anything about being offended about being a counter attacking team. My point is, it's pointless to say or imply Spurs were the better team because they had more possession when they hardly created loads of chances. And we've already scored 3 past them in open play over 3 matches, including 1 yesterday and it should have been 2 if Costa didn't find a way to miss a wide open header that was easier to score than miss. They're hardly a tough nut to crack. That's evidenced by us putting 4 past them. It's all about getting the tactics right.

Edited by Barrettinator

I guess many here don't think Juve should have gone through against Barsa, as Barsa dominated despite having created f*ck all chances. And tht is what happened against Spurs yesterday. They press high up, control the midfield, but struggled to create clear goal chances. We had as many chances as they did but we had a better quality finishing, and we could have been 2-0 up if Michy had scored that header. It was a tight match as expected and it was won on tactics. We rested two starters and had to bring in Ake for Cahill. And Conte had a plan all along, and it worked out much better than Pochetino's. 

1 minute ago, Barrettinator said:

Didn't say anything about being offended about being a counter attacking team. My point is, it's pointless to say or imply Spurs were the better team because they had more possession when they hardly created loads of chances. And we've already scored 3 past them in open play over 3 matches, including 1 yesterday and it should have been 2 if Costa didn't find a way to miss a wide open header that was easier to score than miss. They're hardly a tough nut to crack. That's evidenced by us putting 4 past them. 

Well personally I think if Spurs had their best back 4 it wouldn't of quite been the same. Spurs are a hard nut to crack, they was the better team in both league games which one took a Pedro stunner just before half time.

The events yesterday I couldn't see how Chelsea was the better team, cup game though with players rested. It was just one of those games where everything just went right. Spurs could quite easily of won that game.

I don't really care how Chelsea win TBH and if Spurs have played better, more offensive or whatever terms people want to use. I was just trying to give a bigger opinion of what Jenas meant without someone making out it was so simplistic. I was also trying to back Jamie up abit who made some good points.

9 minutes ago, RMH said:

I guess many here don't think Juve should have gone through against Barsa, as Barsa dominated despite having created f*ck all chances. And tht is what happened against Spurs yesterday. They press high up, control the midfield, but struggled to create clear goal chances. We had as many chances as they did but we had a better quality finishing, and we could have been 2-0 up if Michy had scored that header. It was a tight match as expected and it was won on tactics. We rested two starters and had to bring in Ake for Cahill. And Conte had a plan all along, and it worked out much better than Pochetino's. 

Michy header was offside.

Just now, Ernie_blue said:

Well personally I think if Spurs had their best back 4 it wouldn't of quite been the same. Spurs are a hard nut to crack, they was the better team in both league games which one took a Pedro stunner just before half time.

The events yesterday I couldn't see how Chelsea was the better team, cup game though with players rested. It was just one of those games where everything just went right. Spurs could quite easily of won that game.

I don't really care how Chelsea win TBH and if Spurs have played better, more offensive or whatever terms people want to use. I was just trying to give a bigger opinion of what Jenas meant without someone making out it was so simplistic. I was also trying to back Jamie up abit who made some good points.

We didn't have our best 11 either, did we? No Hazard, no Costa, no Cahill. Everyone has to deal with tactics and cope with issues in their teams. Fair play to Spurs. It was a great game - which no one would be able to say if we didn't dish it back to them - and we came out on top in the end. On to the next.

13 minutes ago, Barrettinator said:

We didn't have our best 11 either, did we? No Hazard, no Costa, no Cahill. Everyone has to deal with tactics and cope with issues in their teams. Fair play to Spurs. It was a great game - which no one would be able to say if we didn't dish it back to them - and we came out on top in the end. On to the next.

Oh yeah I know that's why I said players rested. I also think Chelsea would be a different team with Hazard and Fabregas. I think Fabregas is class, both them players have so much creativity.

2 hours ago, The Brit said:

One would think this is a spurs forum judging by the amount of love and admiration they're getting from some on here

I think it's fine to recognise how well Spurs played, they are definitely a a team on the up, but they lost and they didn't outplay us. They had a good spell and did nothing, to state otherwise is wrong, I could understand it from Spurs fans. At the end of the day, possession doesn't win football games, are we not all used to that, after years of utilising and mastering the counter attack? 

I don't see Conte changing his style too much, though we will definitely improve the squad, you can never expect to dominate top teams though and Spurs are now a top team, expecting too outplay them every time is what's delusional. Most of us haven't forgotten you have to dig in at times and show fight, we did that and it paid off. It's a shame that Alan Shearer and Frank Lampard, two absolute legends, compared to Jenas who did nothing, can't put some people on here straight as well.

Edited by Floyd25

6 hours ago, jamie#8 said:

You should never drink Budweiser in a Fosters Glass.

I am glad life is so simple for you. We win we are the best. Great. Enjoy it.

In 1975 no one died, in 1976 no one died...

7 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

Just watched the game back on iplayer this morning and saw an hilarious clip that i missed first time around.

When Matic scores the wonder strike the camera pans to the crowd and a spud fan is turning to someone and saying:

"Shall we go home."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Fantastic.

Edited by Fansince65

Going back in football history. The Dutch in 1974, Hungary in 1954, Brazil in 1982 World Cups all had what were considered the best footballing sides in these respective tournaments.

However each side didn't win the tournament they were considered favourite for.

I do remember my old man saying to me that 'its often not most attractive football side that wins a match. It's the team that scores the most goals.'

7 hours ago, jamie#8 said:

Its not just about possession. We had more possession v Man United last week but still deserved to lose. Its about intensity, desire and philosophy. Yes they didnt create much, but nor did we. And there was only one team looking like scoring in that second half. The pressed us better and passed better. We scored from a corner and a wonder goal. Briliant for us. But dont let that cover up the general pattern of the game.

You sure you are not Tottenham in disguise. Chill man, celebrate, and njoi the win