Chelsea vs Spurs (FA CUP) - 22nd April 2017

Zeta
Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

13 minutes ago, jamie#8 said:

Man for man they are better in general not just yesterday. Certainly closer than in previous years. Yes they were superior and unlucky not to lose.

Tibo/Lloris - Nothing in it  - Agreed

Walker better than Moses - Walker better defensively, Moses slightly better going forward - not much in it would probably choose Moses in our system but can see the argument for Walker who probably is the better player

Rose better than alonso - Alonso better defensively and offensively, Rose quicker - I know you dislike Alonso because he is slow but Rose is the one player that Poch brings to another level who I actually think is a huge liability that Poch does very well to cover for would definitely give this to Alonso  

Vertongen, Alderwiereld, Dier is as good if not better than Luiz, Azpi, Ake. Disagree I'd say Luiz Azpi and Ake are better as they are less error prone, despite being weaker aerially 

Wanyama and Demeble battered Kante and Matic (although I love Kante and felt sorry for him) - Agreed Wanyama and Dembele have outplayed them in their encounters this year however I would say our midfield is set up is less important to our game and as proven this season we can be outplayed and even be dominated in midfield yet still come out on top, due to our tactical set up. I dont think there is too much difference in quality between the pairs however and it would probably be between Matic and Dembele for who supports Kante in our system which Dembele probably just pips. (I think Matic is massively underrated by most Chelsea fans ad there is a reason he is ahead of Fabregas.)    

Eriksen and Willian very similar level. Agreed as is Pedro, Would take Willian ahead of him though as he is a bit more direct therefore better in transition and on the counter, Eriksen pips it in creativity though  

Alli and Pedo, youd take Alli. I would take Hazard any day 

Kane over Costa. Agree, as Costa has gone of the boil of late although i do still think that overall game is slightly better, I also think Kane needs a team designed around him and he wouldn't get that here and I don't really see him as an upgrade on even a misfiring Costa in our set up.

Whilst I agree Tottenham's squad is good I can't agree with you that it is better man for man whilst I am obviously biased the only spurs player I would want is Dembele 

1 minute ago, PedroMendez said:

Whilst I agree Tottenham's squad is good I can't agree with you that it is better man for man whilst I am obviously biased the only spurs player I would want is Dembele 

Fair points, nicely made.

I don't mean to say they are all better. But on the balance its very close. Hopefully next year there will be no question.

Have to disagree with Alonso over rose though. Think there is a few levels between them to be honest. Agree with Hazard...didnt add him as hes way above any of there players. I would take Both Fbs, Dembele, Alderweirald, Kane. 

7 minutes ago, jamie#8 said:

I don't mean to say they are all better. But on the balance its very close. Hopefully next year there will be no question.

Have to disagree with Alonso over rose though. Think there is a few levels between them to be honest. Agree with Hazard...didnt add him as hes way above any of there players. I would take Both Fbs, Dembele, Alderweirald, Kane. 

I would also take Ali or Erikseon over Pedro or Willian. Both fullbacks are better than Moses and Alonso. Dembele over Matic, Kane over Costa. Would also take Alderweirald.

Tbh I would say there is much between Dave and Dier and Lloris and Courtois.

Edited by Ernie_blue

37 minutes ago, jamie#8 said:

This is not a Spurs Loving from me. I hate seeing them do well. This is my point it pains me to a Chelsea team have to play like an inferior side to grind a win against them. This year, down to Conte mainly, we have shown very good mental strength. Dont forget last year though and the lack of it there. 

As a CFC fan I would prefer my teams best qualities to be technical rather mental.

But you're forgetting the games earlier in the season when we were doing that as well, like thrashings of Utd and Everton..think a key reason why chelsea have been top for so long is they can win a game in more than one way...but don't forget, this is contes first season, he's yet to build the squad he wants...poch has had three years with his players.

1 minute ago, Ernie_blue said:

I would also take Ali or Erikseon over Pedro or Willian. Both fullbacks are better than Moses and Alonso. Dembele over Matic, Kane over Costa. Would also take Alderweirald.

Think Eriksen is Overrated to be honest but yes would take Alli. Though not sure where he fits in 343.

1 minute ago, The Brit said:

But you're forgetting the games earlier in the season when we were doing that as well, like thrashings of Utd and Everton..think a key reason why chelsea have been top for so long is they can win a game in more than one way...but don't forget, this is contes first season, he's yet to build the squad he wants...poch has had three years with his players.

Yep hopefully next year with more of Conte's players and work in pre-season we will see another step up.

4 minutes ago, jamie#8 said:

Yeah its a scary prospect if this tottenham side stays together with Poch at the helm it is only a matter of time until they win something.

I think Poch is brilliant and through his tactics and coaching has brought a few of these players to a level above where they actually are (look at their performances for England) 

Hopefully Poch and Demebele get big offers elsewhere in the summer. 

19 minutes ago, jamie#8 said:

Funnily enough a combined Chelsea and Spurs Xl would be the ultimate 3-4-3 team. 

Football isn't always about the best players though, I will openly admit I can see around 5-6 Spurs players probably being better than some Chelsea players but then football has never been that simple. Real Madrid have had so many good teams but how many league titles have they won recently, Athletico have some gifted players but not to the same level as the other Spanish teams and what they did in La Liga was special and did they get to an European League aswell? Simeone has a real togetherness there. Same with Leicester last year, I think the only player every club would take from their squad would be Kante from last season. 

Sometimes you just need the right players to fit the system for example with Luiz who is probably the best sweeper in the game. Tactics, win when your playing badly, winning on those cold miserable days at Stoke, abit of luck with injuries and there is no doubt no European football helps teams. That's why I wanted Spurs to stay in the Europa League.

Obviously I might think for example Rose is better than Alonso but that doesn't mean I think he should be replaced by him or any player. It's not like Dembele for Matic where the difference would be unreal.

Edited by Ernie_blue

26 minutes ago, jamie#8 said:

Think Eriksen is Overrated to be honest but yes would take Alli. Though not sure where he fits in 343.

You are getting a lot of flak on here but see where your coming from. In terms of general play yesterday, we were outplayed for 3/4 of that game but apart from their two goals they did not have any CCC apart from that header from the free kick. But it shows how good of a manager Conte is to no how to work round the opposition's strengths and that is what he did. But I made a point few hours earlier on this thread. Mentioned that it was worrying the way we were passed around the pitch and sometimes our players were literally lofting the ball to anywhere with space which was worrying. But the longer we stayed in the game, thought the game would sway in our favour.

I was also having a discussion with some friends earlier. TBH, the Spurs team are the only one in the prem where you would say they are complete. They don't have a weakness and you can argue that they have the best player in the league for every position they have. Lloris arguably is best keeper in league. IMO, Walker and Rose are the best RB and LB in league. Alderwerield is the best CB in league arguably, Dembele and Wanyama are arguable the best CM and DM in league. (Dembele is so underrated, he is brilliant). Wanyama is arguably the best DM in league. Alli and even Eriksen are arguably the best AM in the league and Kane for me is best striker in league. What lets them down is that the quality of depth. They need better depth but if they keep the core of that team together they are on the way to building something special. Have to admit that even as a Chelsea fan and they need to get that mental edge to perform on the biggest of stages (Always the bridesmaid, never the bride :biggrin:)

Eriksen used to very inconsistent but he has been fantastic this season and is performing on a high level on a much regular basis. Was a brilliant match though either way and elated we reached the final. But one thing for sure is that it shows how excellent the team mentality is to loser against United and have media questioning whether there is a little crisis mode to respond by beating the best team in the country currently 4-2 and espec with the disruption of Cahill being unavailable and Ake stepping in, boys done brilliant.

3 minutes ago, STATS said:

You are getting a lot of flak on here but see where your coming from. In terms of general play yesterday, we were outplayed for 3/4 of that game but apart from their two goals they did not have any CCC apart from that header from the free kick. But it shows how good of a manager Conte is to no how to work round the opposition's strengths and that is what he did. But I made a point few hours earlier on this thread. Mentioned that it was worrying the way we were passed around the pitch and sometimes our players were literally lofting the ball to anywhere with space which was worrying. But the longer we stayed in the game, thought the game would sway in our favour.

I was also having a discussion with some friends earlier. TBH, the Spurs team are the only one in the prem where you would say they are complete. They don't have a weakness and you can argue that they have the best player in the league for every position they have. Lloris arguably is best keeper in league. IMO, Walker and Rose are the best RB and LB in league. Alderwerield is the best CB in league arguably, Dembele and Wanyama are arguable the best CM and DM in league. (Dembele is so underrated, he is brilliant). Wanyama is arguably the best DM in league. Alli and even Eriksen are arguably the best AM in the league and Kane for me is best striker in league. What lets them down is that the quality of depth. They need better depth but if they keep the core of that team together they are on the way to building something special. Have to admit that even as a Chelsea fan and they need to get that mental edge to perform on the biggest of stages (Always the bridesmaid, never the bride :biggrin:)

Eriksen used to very inconsistent but he has been fantastic this season and is performing on a high level on a much regular basis. Was a brilliant match though either way and elated we reached the final. But one thing for sure is that it shows how excellent the team mentality is to loser against United and have media questioning whether there is a little crisis mode to respond by beating the best team in the country currently 4-2 and espec with the disruption of Cahill being unavailable and Ake stepping in, boys done brilliant.

Nice Post.

Agreed that there side lacks depth for sure. Our bench was far stronger.

1 hour ago, PedroMendez said:

You know looking at the list made man for man, I realise that we have 5 or 6  top players and the rest just decent, when you look back as recently as 2010: cech, terry, ashley, carvalho, lampard, essien, ballack, deco, joe cole, Drog, Anelka. I mean just look at that, world class all over the pitch basically from 2005 to 2010  absolute killer teams that could outplay anyone,  we need at least 5 players to reach that sort of standard, a CB, 2 fullbacks, a strong, athletic, creative CM, a RF option to complement haz, someone of sanchez standards, and if diego goes then someone who can try and fill drogs big boots, if we are elite, if thats who we are, like who we were, that can go out and play against RM, Barca, Bayern, that teams like that didn't want to draw against us, and we were favourites against teams like juve, athleti etc, then thats what we need, if we are content to play for the league, in the worst standing English teams have been in for decades, compared to our European counterparts,  and sit back and get out muscled, outplayed and rely on the counter against Tottenham then I suppose, a couple of changes will keep us in that mix, I almost feel Roman got his CL, finances arent what they were plus FFP and we are content just to be a good domestic team, we will learn whether this is true or not over the next couple of seasons, put it this way, after finishing 10th we hardly got the huge squad makeover we had been led to believe we would which speaks volumes, barring the genius of conte this squad under lesser managment, would have struggled to qualify for the CL, and we saw that by teh way we were playing at the start of the season, and by the way we have been playing recently since teams figured out our system, the point is we have had a fantastic season under conte, but if we are honest and ambitious this squad isn't good enough, we need at least 4 or 5 players in of quality in teh summer, and give Antonio something to mount a CL challenge with, because as stands we are relying on the counter to beat big teams, if our goalscorers are off form we just cant do it, we get battered like at Man U, especially with a defence that hasn't kept a clean sheet in 9 or 10 games, our managers impact is pasting over the issue that we just don't have teh type of quad we used to, I hope they support the manager or should I say coach, he certainly deserves it.  

With the run in we have left in the league, you can see why the spuds fans are depressed.

Both this season and last they have missed opportunities to 'kick on' and win major silverware.

Next season they can see more pressure coming from the two Manc clubs, and with Conte getting a bumper transfer chest, they are probably worried that they have missed the boat.

I'm not writing them off, but they are in a purple patch and still no silverware, that really hits your confidence eventually.

If next season they fail to accumulate major silverware they will find it impossible to hold on to their top players.