Chelsea v Valencia (CL) 06/12/2011 KO 19:45 GMT

Zeta

I know this is a few weeks away, but it's the only match I'm going to this season so... :825: basically.

I kind of hope we lose to Bayer now so that we don't put out the reserves for this game, though I suppose it would be a very rare opportunity for the likes of Josh and Bertrand to get a run out (and in Josh's case, probably get subbed off).

Though assuming we beat Bayer and don't suffer any injuries/suspensions between now and then, I'd like to see:

Cech

Bertrand

Luiz

Terry

Ivanovic

Romeu

McEachran

Merieles

Sturridge

Torres

Mata

Wher is Newcastle United match thread?

We normally only have a match thread for the next game (which is currently Liverpool). This is a bit of a one off because this match has become very very important after the Leverkusen result.

Hey everyone,

I was late on getting tickets for this match and the only ones left were MHL row EE seat number 391/392 (in the corner i think), i've never sat in this section before so can anyone who has let me know what the views like? is it restricted?

Cheers.

I see two approaches to this - gung-ho:

----------------------------Cech

Bosingwa---------Luiz----------Ivanovic--------Cole

-----------------Meireles--------Mikel/Romeu

----Sturridge------------Mata-------------Malouda

---------------------------Torres

Or extreme revert-to-type Mourin-ho:

---------------------------Cech

Ivanovic--------Alex-------------Terry---------Cole

---------------------------Mikel

-----------------Meireles------Ramires

---------Mata----------Torres-------Malouda

I see two approaches to this - gung-ho:

----------------------------Cech

Bosingwa---------Luiz----------Ivanovic--------Cole

-----------------Meireles--------Mikel/Romeu

----Sturridge------------Mata-------------Malouda

---------------------------Torres

Gung-ho with Malouda, Bosingwa and/or Mikel in the team? What are you smoking?

Edited by rahul

Well clearly we can't go to the absolute extreme of gung-ho otherwise I'd have posted a 0-10 formation. There still has to be some sort of defensive structure to the side, otherwise we won't have a gameplan and the attacking intent will be for nothing. I can understand why you'd query my inclusion of a holder in Mikel/Romeu when I could have included a more attacking box-to-box player in Lampard or Ramires; it was to keep possession ticking and to open up space for Meireles to have more of a playmaking role rather than being the holder himself and relying on the runs of the box-to-box (and the forwards of course) to get the ball forward.

I'm not sure why you're disputing that Malouda and Bosingwa are attacking players. Bosingwa is objectively the most offensive option we have at right-back and that is why I included him in my attacking line-up. As for Malouda, I see the other options for his position as Mata, Sturridge, Anelka and Kalou. The first two are deployed elsewhere in the team and Malouda is certainly better than Kalou. Anelka is a probably a more attacking option, but I feel that we would be far too narrow with Anelka and Sturridge as our two wide men. Sturridge likes to cut inside to lead with his stronger left foot and Anelka likes to drift centrally in between the lines where we already have Mata pulling the strings, whereas Malouda is more likely to drift wide, put balls in and link up with Ashley Cole.

The reason I opted for the two extremes as opposed to picking a more likely side which would occupy a middle ground between the two is that the compromise hasn't been working for weeks and has seen us get picked apart at will by the top sides.

Well clearly we can't go to the absolute extreme of gung-ho otherwise I'd have posted a 0-10 formation. There still has to be some sort of defensive structure to the side, otherwise we won't have a gameplan and the attacking intent will be for nothing. I can understand why you'd query my inclusion of a holder in Mikel/Romeu when I could have included a more attacking box-to-box player in Lampard or Ramires; it was to keep possession ticking and to open up space for Meireles to have more of a playmaking role rather than being the holder himself and relying on the runs of the box-to-box (and the forwards of course) to get the ball forward.

I'm not sure why you're disputing that Malouda and Bosingwa are attacking players. Bosingwa is objectively the most offensive option we have at right-back and that is why I included him in my attacking line-up. As for Malouda, I see the other options for his position as Mata, Sturridge, Anelka and Kalou. The first two are deployed elsewhere in the team and Malouda is certainly better than Kalou. Anelka is a probably a more attacking option, but I feel that we would be far too narrow with Anelka and Sturridge as our two wide men. Sturridge likes to cut inside to lead with his stronger left foot and Anelka likes to drift centrally in between the lines where we already have Mata pulling the strings, whereas Malouda is more likely to drift wide, put balls in and link up with Ashley Cole.

The reason I opted for the two extremes as opposed to picking a more likely side which would occupy a middle ground between the two is that the compromise hasn't been working for weeks and has seen us get picked apart at will by the top sides.

I wasnt disputing your inclusion of a defensive midfielder as I'd include one too for any attacking team myself. Just that I wont have Mikel anywhere near that team. Romeu would do for me.

I disagree, however, that Bosingwa is the best attacking option at right back. The single most important attribute of an attacking full back is his ability to cross. He should be able to put in a decent cross at least 6 out of 10 times. Bosingwa's record is at most 2 out of 10. Ivanovic on the other hand is a much better crosser of the ball. Bosingwa isn't a good dribbler as well so he doesnt even score there against Ivan. He has more pace which hardly matters if you cant cross or be meaningful in the attacking third. So Ivanovic, in my opinion is the best attacking option at right back.

As far as Malouda is concerned, if we want to play Mata through the middle I understand he is the best choice among the awful bunch (him, Kalou and Anelka) but in my opinion for 4-2-3-1 formation, Josh and even Lamps are a better option for the spot you put Malouda in. For me Malouda doesnt do enough and is generally too greedy to be anywhere near an attacking team. If we need to pass the ball quickly, he is not our man.

My gung-ho team would be:

Cech

Ivan Luiz JT Cole

Ramires Romeu

Studge Mata Lamps

Torres

Pl W D L +/- Pts 1 Real Madrid 13 11 1 1 36 34 2 FC Barcelona 14 9 4 1 35 31 3 Valencia CF 13 8 3 2 8 27 4 Levante UD 13 8 2 3 11 26 5 Málaga CF 13 7 2 4 1 23 6 Sevilla FC 13 5 6 2 3 21

Pl W D L +/- Pts 1 Manchester City 13 11 2 0 31 35 2 Manchester United 13 9 3 1 17 30 3 Tottenham Hotspur 12 9 1 2 10 28 4 Newcastle United 13 7 5 1 7 26 5 Chelsea 13 8 1 4 11 25 6 Liverpool 13 6 5 2 5 23 7 Arsenal 13 7 2 4 3 23

Looking at the current league tables and it can't be more even on that department. As I understand right their current form is better than ours so playing at home won't give us much of an edge. We'll be nervy as hell I recon at SB.

As AVB stated the game is "life or death", probably meaning his job. 0-0 will do so I think we will approach the game Jose style. It is not the right way to kick in the system but we want to win. I'd go Ramires-Romeu-Meireles in midfield and Mata-Drogba-Sturridge up front.

D-line: Ivanovic-Luiz-JT-Cole.

Pl W D L +/- Pts 1 Real Madrid 13 11 1 1 36 34 2 FC Barcelona 14 9 4 1 35 31 3 Valencia CF 13 8 3 2 8 27 4 Levante UD 13 8 2 3 11 26 5 Málaga CF 13 7 2 4 1 23 6 Sevilla FC 13 5 6 2 3 21

Pl W D L +/- Pts 1 Manchester City 13 11 2 0 31 35 2 Manchester United 13 9 3 1 17 30 3 Tottenham Hotspur 12 9 1 2 10 28 4 Newcastle United 13 7 5 1 7 26 5 Chelsea 13 8 1 4 11 25 6 Liverpool 13 6 5 2 5 23 7 Arsenal 13 7 2 4 3 23

Looking at the current league tables and it can't be more even on that department. As I understand right their current form is better than ours so playing at home won't give us much of an edge. We'll be nervy as hell I recon at SB.

As AVB stated the game is "life or death", probably meaning his job. 0-0 will do so I think we will approach the game Jose style. It is not the right way to kick in the system but we want to win. I'd go Ramires-Romeu-Meireles in midfield and Mata-Drogba-Sturridge up front.

D-line: Ivanovic-Luiz-JT-Cole.

Surely it would be disastrous to approach the game trying to defend 0-0? I would worry about Chelsea taking that approach at the best of times let alone with our current defensive problems. I'd prefer to see us go out and try to score first so we can really put the pressure on Valencia. If we can put them into a position where they have to take risks hopefully that will work in our favour.

I wasnt disputing your inclusion of a defensive midfielder as I'd include one too for any attacking team myself. Just that I wont have Mikel anywhere near that team. Romeu would do for me.

I disagree, however, that Bosingwa is the best attacking option at right back. The single most important attribute of an attacking full back is his ability to cross. He should be able to put in a decent cross at least 6 out of 10 times. Bosingwa's record is at most 2 out of 10. Ivanovic on the other hand is a much better crosser of the ball. Bosingwa isn't a good dribbler as well so he doesnt even score there against Ivan. He has more pace which hardly matters if you cant cross or be meaningful in the attacking third. So Ivanovic, in my opinion is the best attacking option at right back.

As far as Malouda is concerned, if we want to play Mata through the middle I understand he is the best choice among the awful bunch (him, Kalou and Anelka) but in my opinion for 4-2-3-1 formation, Josh and even Lamps are a better option for the spot you put Malouda in. For me Malouda doesnt do enough and is generally too greedy to be anywhere near an attacking team. If we need to pass the ball quickly, he is not our man.

My gung-ho team would be:

Cech

Ivan Luiz JT Cole

Ramires Romeu

Studge Mata Lamps

Torres

Fair enough on the DM front. Clearly Romeu is an excellent player but I am one of the few surviving Mikel apologists so I stuck him in. Romeu seems to be on form at the moment so I'm not too bothered which one of the two starts.

Good crossing and pace unimportant eh? I'm surprised you didn't give a thought to poor forgotten Paulo... heh.

The stats for this season don't show much difference in Bosingwa and Ivanovic's crossing ability (Bossie's 0.7 successful crosses per game to Ivan's 0.5) or 'key passes' (Ivan has 1.0 per game to Bossie's 0.9). However apparently Bosingwa completes an average of 5 more passes a game, he also completes three times as many dribbles and he is faster and more comfortable on the ball. To be honest I always used to underrate Bosingwa's offensive contribution as well; I think it may be a case of him being disappointing compared to the exemplary Cole, whereas we've always been impressed at Ivanovic (a centre back by trade)'s ability to adapt himself to the tasks of being a right back and not making a complete hash of it. Clearly Ivanovic's defensive superiority makes him a better choice at right back if we're being wise, but if our end is attack over anything else then Bosingwa's our man.

Lampard at left midfield over Malouda? I think you had a bongful of whatever I was smoking... :P

Edited by PloKoon13

Fair enough on the DM front. Clearly Romeu is an excellent player but I am one of the few surviving Mikel apologists so I stuck him in. Romeu seems to be on form at the moment so I'm not too bothered which one of the two starts.

Good crossing and pace unimportant eh? I'm surprised you didn't give a thought to poor forgotten Paulo... heh.

The stats for this season don't show much difference in Bosingwa and Ivanovic's crossing ability (Bossie's 0.7 successful crosses per game to Ivan's 0.5) or 'key passes' (Ivan has 1.0 per game to Bossie's 0.9). However apparently Bosingwa completes an average of 5 more passes a game, he also completes three times as many dribbles and he is faster and more comfortable on the ball. To be honest I always used to underrate Bosingwa's offensive contribution as well; I think it may be a case of him being disappointing compared to the exemplary Cole, whereas we've always been impressed at Ivanovic (a centre back by trade)'s ability to adapt himself to the tasks of being a right back and not making a complete hash of it. Clearly Ivanovic's defensive superiority makes him a better choice at right back if we're being wise, but if our end is attack over anything else then Bosingwa's our man.

Lampard at left midfield over Malouda? I think you had a bongful of whatever I was smoking... :P

With regards to Bossi and Ivan debtate (which IMO shouldnt even be a debate) Ivan also offers the treat from set pieces in the box.

I actually think Ivan's use of the ball in offensive areas is better then bossingwa who looks like a confused pup at times. There is no question over who is a better defender

Hey everyone,

I was late on getting tickets for this match and the only ones left were MHL row EE seat number 391/392 (in the corner i think), i've never sat in this section before so can anyone who has let me know what the views like? is it restricted?

Cheers.

You'll need to crouch down all game to see the other goal!!

Really hope we go with;

.........................................Cech

Ivan.......................Luiz...............JT.............................Cole

.........................Romeu..............Merieles

.....................................Ramires

Sturridge.....................Drogba................Mata

TBH Luiz at centre-half doesn't really fill me with confidence but we don't have a viable alternative at the moment.

Slightly un-related question here, but its about this game. One of my in-laws lives in and is married to a Valencian, and I was going to get him some souvenirs from this game was thinking a scarf and a pin badge. The scarf won't be hard there are a couple stalls around the ground that do them (the ones where its half Chelsea half other team), but I think the pin might be a little harder, they don't seem to do the match ones in the immediate area round the ground any more, thoughts on where to get one?

The away game of this tie was fantastic and we could have scored several times more than we did. I'm now of the view that Ivan is playing right back and is comfortable there so that's where I'd leave him.

Romeu gets my vote in central midfield, but we also have to look to the citeh game.

Could we play both Romeu and Mikel?

I might start Torres in this game.

cech

ivan luiz terry cole

ramire romeu lampard

studge torres mata

Gonna miss this game unfortunately. Our baby was due january 10th, went for a scan on thursday and the baby isn't growing as well as the doctor hoped. He decided it would be better if baby was out so baby will now be arriving on tuesday afternoon. hopefully chelsea can win and make it a fantastic day. I will try and convince my wife to name baby after whichever chelsea player scores.

Gonna miss this game unfortunately. Our baby was due january 10th, went for a scan on thursday and the baby isn't growing as well as the doctor hoped. He decided it would be better if baby was out so baby will now be arriving on tuesday afternoon. hopefully chelsea can win and make it a fantastic day. I will try and convince my wife to name baby after whichever chelsea player scores.

Best of luck with that mate. My first was an emergency caesarean due to heart beat irregularities and second was a 'booked' one because she didn't want to appear. The latter was far less scary than the first as there was much more control over the process. Keep us posted. Loz is a good name.

Good luck mate. Hope all is well with the misses and your little one.