Next Manager (Poll)

Zeta

Who do you want as the new manager?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as the new manager?

• Roberto Di Matteo (Only if we finish in the top 4/do well in the cups) [9/4]
    • Roberto Di Matteo (Regardless of last few games) [9/4]
    • José Mourinho [7/2]
    • Rafa Benitez [7/1]
    • Laurent Blanc [10/1]
    • Pep Guardiola [10/1]
    • Joachim Low [14/1]
    • David Moyes [16/1]
    • Marcelo Bielsa [20/1]
    • Dider Deschamps [25/1]
    • Guus Hiddink [28/1]
    • Brendan Rogers [28/1]
    • Gianfranco Zola [33/1]
    • John Terry [80/1]
    • Other
    • Capello

So with 4 league games to go and either 2 or 3 cup games, the season is rapidly drawing to a close and we're not sure yet who is going to be in charge come the summer.

My question is a simple one.. Who do you want to be in charge?

See Poll at top for options (i've put together a list of the most popular ones in the betting odds, plus a few random ones to make up the numbers).

Edited by Zeta Orionis

Jose would be my first choice but as coco says, it isn't going to happen, so realistically I'd be happy to see RDM take the job, regardless of the last few games. It would be well earned imho and I'd be sad to see him ousted in favour of anyone else (apart from Jose of course!) at the end of the season.

Bielsa, mainly because I think he will attract Javi Martinez and Munian and because we will see real football again.

Bielsa is like AVB, but less pragmatic, more enigmatic and shows signs of OCD. As much as I love the way they manage/see the game, I don't think he's the right option considering we have just sacked AVB.

I'm hoping the thing about Hiddink having a clause where he can end his contract in June is true, so he comes back to us (got a tenner on him at 25/1 :D ). My worry about Hiddink is his age, he's not going to stick around for ages.

Failing that, I'd like Moyes. He's done exceptionally well at Everton and should be given a shot at managing a club with money. He's often labelled a defensive and reactionary coach rather than a proactive one, but this may be because of his limited funds that he has to set his team up this way, either way he's overachieved given the resources and I'd be happy to have him. My concern with Moyes is if he'd be given respect by the players, and we know that this is an issue.

I really do like RDM but am unsure if he's experienced enough. Yes, we've done well under him, but we've only played 3 big teams (though we've done excellently under them) and have done well only by "reverting to type" if you will and going back to the old Chelsea, which is something he'd be tasked with getting rid of and changing over the summer and I'm uncertain of whether he'd be able to do it or not. I also get the impression that he doesn't feel ready for the big job yet by the way he speaks in interviews, looks to me like he's happy to lead the club to the end of the season but is happy to have someone else take over. Not sure why I get this impression, but I would be content with him getting the job and would fully back him. He'd also be in a better position than a new manager to say which changes need to be made.

If RDM doesn't get the job, he better stay on at the club in some capacity (assistant or something)

Decent list, although there are a few I would lop off immediately. Either out of lack of experience (at the top level/club level), lack of sanity (Benitez), or lack of realism (Mourinho). That leaves us with Guardiola, Bielsa, Deschamps and Hiddink.

To be honest I'd be pretty happy with any of those, although all have some small flaw. I'd be worried about Guardiola/Bielsa's ability to adapt to the Premier League (although both are as tactically capable as anyone else in the league in theory), Deschamps' ability to step it up again (Marseille have been awful lately) and Hiddink's interest in the job, as well as his desire to work on a long-term project.

Not gonna be a popular choice, but out of the availible managers (managers currently out of work) I would choose Benitez. I dont want us paying big money to release another manager from his current contract, so would rather we go for a manager out of work. Rafa has won the champ league and spanish league...I also think he could get our 50 mill man firing.

Sorry guys!

Jose coming back? It's not gonna happen... Don't think Hiddink or Guardiola will happen either. None of the others really have me thinking 'gee I wish he was our manager', so why not give Robbie a chance? He's done well so far and better the devil you know, etc. As to his inexperience, remember Pep had never managed any club before when he took over at Barca and he's done alright. And with FFP in mind at least if it goes t*ts up it won't have cost us another £15m.

RDM has done brilliantly in the cup games beyond any doubt, but the league form is as bad as it was under avb. Only one victory versus Stoke at home, numerous draws and one defeat. He has used the right tactics most if not all the time, but I am not sure if he is a good manager or the players just playing well in the cups games to win a trophy.

• Jose will be ideal, but I dont think he will come back to Chelsea. Same goes with Guardiola and Hiddink.
  • Low will be fantastic imo but i dont see it leaving Germany.
  • Moyes has done great at everton all these years also, but I cant remember that he wants to leave and I think its safe to say that he will stay at Everton.
  • I havent seen much of Blanc's teams in action, but I think he will be a popular name, as he also said he will be intrested in coaching a bg team.
  • Benitez is a no-no-no for me and its fairly certain that he wont come to Chelsea mainly because almost no Chelsea fan will like him, not so much a coach, but because of the war with Mourinho.

I went for Bielsa as he has lead an all Basque team in Europa League semi finals,Spanish Cup Final and a touching distance from Champions Leauge football (Just two points away). He has tons of experience but I think Roman will have again to pay to get him, because he is in his first year of contract with Athletic.

Edited by eldakar

Yeah I agree Eldakar

I think our form has been better since AVB moved on but im torn between thinking the players love playing for RDM which is why the form has improved or they are just pleased to play for someone other than AVB. Dead mans shoes can work both ways sometimes

Either way I would love Robbie to stay with the club in some capacity but im not sure that ever really happens as the new manager will want his authority backed up by his people which doesn't leave much room for robbie.

My perfect situation is Guus come in and Robbie goes back to assistant, to spend a few years learning the trade ready to take over when Hiddink retires after 3-4 years to a footballing director role and robbie teps up, a Bit like the Ally McCoist/Walter smith set up at rangers

However I think this is unlikely so I have gone for Joachim Lowe. Mainly because he has put together a german national team which is exactly the mould I would love to see us follow. A young, Hungry team with some very experienced players in to keep everyone grounded that play quick attacking football.

I also think after the footballing world has seen what he gets out of the German national team, he would come with a reputation of getting the best out of promising youngsters, Much like Wenger so maybe we could be a desired location for youngsters who want to prove themselves (such as Hazard) and know they will get a chance here. Hopefully our youngsters won't see us as a stepping stone though like Arsene's wonderkids seem to see Arsenal as

I also think discipline and Authority wouldn't be an issue for him as his man Management seems to be pretty good and he has some scary eyes for those who get out of line!!

Bielsa is like AVB, but less pragmatic, more enigmatic and shows signs of OCD. As much as I love the way they manage/see the game, I don't think he's the right option considering we have just sacked AVB.

I'm hoping the thing about Hiddink having a clause where he can end his contract in June is true, so he comes back to us (got a tenner on him at 25/1 :D ). My worry about Hiddink is his age, he's not going to stick around for ages.

Failing that, I'd like Moyes. He's done exceptionally well at Everton and should be given a shot at managing a club with money. He's often labelled a defensive and reactionary coach rather than a proactive one, but this may be because of his limited funds that he has to set his team up this way, either way he's overachieved given the resources and I'd be happy to have him. My concern with Moyes is if he'd be given respect by the players, and we know that this is an issue.

I really do like RDM but am unsure if he's experienced enough. Yes, we've done well under him, but we've only played 3 big teams (though we've done excellently under them) and have done well only by "reverting to type" if you will and going back to the old Chelsea, which is something he'd be tasked with getting rid of and changing over the summer and I'm uncertain of whether he'd be able to do it or not. I also get the impression that he doesn't feel ready for the big job yet by the way he speaks in interviews, looks to me like he's happy to lead the club to the end of the season but is happy to have someone else take over. Not sure why I get this impression, but I would be content with him getting the job and would fully back him. He'd also be in a better position than a new manager to say which changes need to be made.

If RDM doesn't get the job, he better stay on at the club in some capacity (assistant or something)

I see what you are saying about Bielsa, but I still feel that AVB maybe was the right man at the wrong time (okey, he may have had some lack of social skills). However, I do feel that Bielsa is extremely good in getting his players to believe in what they do. The way they played United at Old Theater was extreme. I do also think that certain players of ours (Ramires, Luiz, Mata, Torres etc etc, the "younger" and faster players) will fit very much in his fast attacking approach to the game. If he can bring some of his players (Martinez and Muniain for example), they would give us a whole new dimension to our game. I really do think we need to start our generation shift next year. We've already postponed it a few years, and I really feel that we need to make changes to the training- and playing aspect of the game.

Moyes is another favorite of mine, along with O'Neill. What I do fear though is their lack of experience coaching a top class club. The medias, the expectations and the pressure is extreme in a top 2/3 club. What those two managers really do though is get the best out of their players. Maybe Moyes could bring Rodwell and Fellaini with him? Two rock solid players who has the ability and talent to play for a far higher level than in a mid-table club. The fact that they're English also helps.

Hiddink and Capello is a little bit of the same managers. Both very successful at club- and nation level, but old as a fossil. It wouldn't surprise me though if Roman went for a manager with a huge merit list, specially in the Champions League. Van Gaal is another man who may be attractive for that very reason.

I share the opinions on RDM with you. He has the respect of the group and does pretty much everything right with the squad he possesses, but has he got the ability to take the club to a different level? To build the team from "scratch" again, to reform our system of play? Nothing would please me more though, than seeing a Chelsea legend take over and be great.

RDM has done brilliantly in the cup games beyond any doubt, but the league form is as bad as it was under avb. Only one victory versus Stoke at home, numerous draws and one defeat.

Didn't we beat Wigan at home & Villa away?

Didn't we beat Wigan at home & Villa away?

Won against Stoke, Wigan and Villa, draw against Fulham, Arse and Spuds, loss against Citeh. 3-3-1 isn't bad with our match program, but I do think that certain things could have been done better. There has been times where we have played just as bad as Wolves.

The hire will be a test of Roman's determination to play a different kind of football.

He hired AVB to play an open, entertaining style. His players rejected it.

Di Matteo and Hiddink succeeded because they played a style which suits most of the current squad, but which seems to be the antithesis of what Roman wants. Di Matteo plays deep, 10 men behind the ball, single striker, breakaway football. Hiddink was a bit more adventurous (he somehow unlocked Malouda) but his nature is highly pragmatic.

Ancelotti seemed to be a decent compromise between pragmatic and flair, but when hard times came, his square players didn't fit into the round holes of his philosophy. Oddly, Roman sided with the players, a move I still believe was a mistake.

Unfortunately, what Roman wants runs counter to the established football culture at Chelsea. It's why AVB failed. Ultimately, it's why Ancelotti failed. I'll be interested to see how stubborn Roman is about becoming the Barca of the Premier League.

Di Matteo regardless for me as many have said sad as it is Jose isnt coming back but if he did he'd be welcome in my eyes and probably many others. Mourinho in charge Robbie number 2, Eddie still involved and bring in Franco for something would be a dream.

Robbie deserves to stay in charge no matter what the last results are, the way things have changed especially attitude in players since AVB has been amazing. The Napoli comeback, Spurs at Wembley, beating Barcelona and keeping Messi out of the game. Out of 14 games hes won 10 Drew 3 and Lost 1, if this was the beginning we'd be laughing! Some results have been questionable but most top teams have this season, a very up and down season for all.

We've all learnt that inconsistency of managers isn't good for anyone and I think if we stick with Robbie for at least next season it will be good for the fans, good for team morale and good seen as theres Euros and Olympics this year so we'd get a new manager probably after both and he'd have no say in transfers and it would be like starting in the middle of a season.

After all there is only one Di Matteo!

If we can't get Jose Mourinho or Hiddink, which I don't think we will be able to, we should go for Zola. if you look at the players he had he actually did quite a good job at West Ham and played some nice football. Give him some world class players to work with and Di Matteo as assistant.

That will never happen though.

The passion he showed on the pitch last night after the game and again after we knocked out Napoli shows how much he loves the club and while he may lack a little in terms of ability and know-how compared to the big names who have been linked, his passion and love for the club surely make up for this.To any other manager the chelsea job is just another job but to RDM its living the dream.