What We're Missing

EdinburghBlue

Along with a manager of course...

I might be alone in feeling like this but for all the good passers and tricky players we have, we don't really have anyone who will run at 2 or 3 players and beat them. If we had someone like that in our team I think it would bring us on significantly it would add a different dimension to our game. Seen as we seem to have plan A which is to pass it through the middle of the opposition and that's about all.

Someone like Robben when he was with us...

Hazard can do it, but he seems to rather play one twos. Moses also has that ability.

I think we're missing depth in the striker position. We have Ba and that's it. We should have kept Sturridge until the summer imo. Next season hopefully we'll have Lukaku, Falcao and Ba. 3 quality strikers who each offer something different.

We also need a true defensive mid. Romeu could end up being good enough in that role but I'm not yet convinced. I'm not sure Luiz is even good enough to be a proper defensive mid. Makelele is the perfect defensive mid, and Luiz is not that sort of player. We have players who can play there but none are good enough defensively to provide the cover our defence needs. Chalobah could very well be the long term solution. KDB and McEachran aren't defensively sound enough to play alongside Ramires so, assuming we stick with the double pivot, they'd all be playing for one spot. Some may disagree with me but I wouldn't mind having Romeu and Chalobah as our proper defensive mid options for next season.

But we'll always be sh*t with FSW here.

Aside from the already mentioned, I would say what separates us from the elite clubs right now is one big game changing player which we used to have in Drogba. United can play poorly and rely on Van Persie to bail them out, Dzeko has done many times this season for City, Madrid have Ronaldo and even Liverpool have Suarez, without a similar caliber striker up front then I doubt we'll win the league anytime soon.

I think Hazard can be that direct if given the licence to do so.

Personally I think we need forward who can score goals from nothing.

Look out Drogba, his touch, speed. finishing and strength meant he could create his own chances (and score them).

The service the likes of Mata and Hazard are capable of providing I honestly think a top quality forward would just bang in goals for fun. 

Too true Mike. The issue has never been the calibre of player, it is the motivation of player.

It is the consistent choice by the club (bar Mata I must say) to purchase style over substance. We've too many players whose heads drop under pressure. 

We need another centre back, a defensive mid with more passing ability than Mikel and far better awareness, maybe that's Luiz but I'm not sold on that either, a right winger, we need crossing ability down that flank, and a point man, someone who can hold up play as well as win balls, our 15 attacking mids need to get on to knock downs and lay offs.

We appear to be short in the on field leadership department, the kind of players who are going to get vocal and get their foot in when the need arises. No more Drogba and the loss of JT has not helped the cause, none of the other senior players,with respect, cut the leadership mustard in the same way I'm afraid. We have some fantastic young talent in our first team squad but they need to be led, especially when the going gets tough.

We don't need any new players (maybe except for an alternative striker). We have a squad that all other managers in the EPL would envy. We need a manager who knows how to motivate and get the most of the players at his (or her) disposal. A manager who has the players' respect and the ability to inspire them. What we have at present is someone who on paper could possibly do that, but really is at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Which is down to the manager to sort out.

And he clearly isn't.

A manager can't instill belief where there is none, but he can certainly foster belief wherever it exists. I find it hard to believe that this squad, which just won the double, has no belief in itself so I'd have to agree with you that the FSW is due the lion's share of the blame. 

When Avram Grants Chelsea lost in the cup final to Tottenham, people said he couldn't motivate...when Grants Chelsea lost in the Champions League final to Man UTD, people said he couldn't motivate.

I think a loss to Corinthians in our one and only World Club Cup Final to date would show what happens with a manager that can't motivate.

This is a very good squad and now with a striker its good enough to challenge for everything, its not perfectly balanced and could do with a couple of additions but any manager worth their sort would have them winning a lot more than the Interim.

Motivation has been mentioned on many threads......PLEASE ..NO........Im fed up with bleatings of " RAFA cant motivate em"....If playing for this club, if playing in the shirt they wear ISNT ENOUGH MOTIVATION then sack the f**kers....Hope i never employ some that say to me..." sorry boss, couldnt do that job today as you dont inspire me".....f**k OFF THEN  would be my answer.....These highly paid halfbrains that are afraid to attack with grit and fire in their bellies for 93 mins need a damn good thrashing ...IMO....

Archived