Our New Stadium

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Rest assured, it's still very good for over-age drinking too. So long as you're not in a desperate hurry for the loo on a matchday.

If it's true though, I don't know how matchdays will work. But going to The Bear before a football match will be weird. As long as they have the hog roast vans open then all will be good, skip the queues at the station to have a few down by the river and then over to Kingston for a few.

The residents will love us.

They don't even love the rugby fans!  They had quite a bit of bother recently during the sevens with anti-social behaviour by some - crapping in people's gardens etc so I heard.  

Where's The Bear - don't know that I know that one?  I haven't been drinking in Kingston for literally decades - I'm sure I wouldn't know anywhere now!  Do you live near there or go to rugby games or what?

The station's pretty well managed during rugby games but I wouldn't have to worry - my sister lives walking distance from Twickers so I can just pop round there!  

They don't even love the rugby fans!  They had quite a bit of bother recently during the sevens with anti-social behaviour by some - crapping in people's gardens etc so I heard.  

Where's The Bear - don't know that I know that one?  I haven't been drinking in Kingston for literally decades - I'm sure I wouldn't know anywhere now!  Do you live near there or go to rugby games or what?

The station's pretty well managed during rugby games but I wouldn't have to worry - my sister lives walking distance from Twickers so I can just pop round there!  

The Bear is on the main street just up from the Barmy Arms. Pretty good for sport on tv and food before a game.

Hadn't heard of any trouble but not too surprised. Usually the 7s is a haven for stag dos because it's usually fancy dress and an all-day piss-up. The station can be horrendous straight after a match or gig but if you let it die down then it's no bother. Most of my family is down in that neck of the woods so it's probably going to be much easier than the Bridge in all honesty. Fingers crossed.

The Bear is on the main street just up from the Barmy Arms. Pretty good for sport on tv and food before a game.

Hadn't heard of any trouble but not too surprised. Usually the 7s is a haven for stag dos because it's usually fancy dress and an all-day piss-up. The station can be horrendous straight after a match or gig but if you let it die down then it's no bother. Most of my family is down in that neck of the woods so it's probably going to be much easier than the Bridge in all honesty. Fingers crossed.

Ah I know the one you mean - never been in there as far as I know.  Thinking about it, there's loads of pubs in Twickenham I've never been to - we just used to stick to a few, our favourite is now Santander Building Society.  I've been to the Webb Ellis many years ago when it was a real dive called the Rugby Tavern.  I guess there and the Cabbage Patch would be the obvious drinking venues for pre-match - and the Albany as well though that's become a bit trendy and expensive and I don't know whether they'd welcome Chelsea fans?  

I've only been at the station once after a game - England v France I think (I didn't go, just happened to need to travel at that time) and it was ok.  But as I said, I'd either go to my sister's or  be travelling back with the supporters' coach.

I'd certainly prefer Twickenham as our temporary ground than anywhere else - can't say my sister feels the same though!

Ah I know the one you mean - never been in there as far as I know.  Thinking about it, there's loads of pubs in Twickenham I've never been to - we just used to stick to a few, our favourite is now Santander Building Society.  I've been to the Webb Ellis many years ago when it was a real dive called the Rugby Tavern.  I guess there and the Cabbage Patch would be the obvious drinking venues for pre-match - and the Albany as well though that's become a bit trendy and expensive and I don't know whether they'd welcome Chelsea fans?  

Albany probably wouldn't. There's the one right on the corner opposite the Cabbage Patch....think there's a club above it called The Loft. Anyway that would be ok because it's a bit of a sh*thole but it's really spacious. The Webb Ellis is a Wetherspoons now so it's pretty standard. Be interesting to see the situation with drinking in the stadium. At the moment you can take drinks to your seats but they charge you £1 per plastic glass and you have to return it to get it back.

As I said, only a rumour but taken with all the other mutterings it's certainly got legs.

Albany probably wouldn't. There's the one right on the corner opposite the Cabbage Patch....think there's a club above it called The Loft. Anyway that would be ok because it's a bit of a sh*thole but it's really spacious. The Webb Ellis is a Wetherspoons now so it's pretty standard. Be interesting to see the situation with drinking in the stadium. At the moment you can take drinks to your seats but they charge you £1 per plastic glass and you have to return it to get it back.

As I said, only a rumour but taken with all the other mutterings it's certainly got legs.

I thought the one opposite the Cabbage Patch was the Webb Ellis!  Doh!   Just googled it and it's the old post office - never been in there.  So the old Rugby Tavern is still a sh*thole then!  It never even used to sell real ale back in the day and you felt like you'd stick to anything you touched!

I thought the one opposite the Cabbage Patch was the Webb Ellis!  Doh!   Just googled it and it's the old post office - never been in there.  So the old Rugby Tavern is still a sh*thole then!  It never even used to sell real ale back in the day and you felt like you'd stick to anything you touched!

Oh they've retained the sticky, purple (I think) floors. :laugh2:

It's handy if you need the loo straight off the train but it's a weird old pub. Think it's got a beer garden out back and a massive patio where they have the bbq going sometimes out front.  The Webb Ellis is on the left if you're walking down to the river. Some cracking Indian restaurants around there though. Maybe a brief holiday away from the Bridge won't be so bad, but the residents will probably be having fits. Hopefully the new Tory MP will be favourable towards us.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g528819-d7784862-Reviews-The_Shack_68-Twickenham_Greater_London_England.html#REVIEWS

Looks like it's had a recent overhaul to become a BBQ Shack place - but it's still got pretty rubbish reviews!

Had a fantastic curry the night of the Sunderland game!  Can't remember the name of the restaurant though - I think it might have been Athithi on York Street (just googled it and I think it was that one).

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g528819-d7784862-Reviews-The_Shack_68-Twickenham_Greater_London_England.html#REVIEWS

Looks like it's had a recent overhaul to become a BBQ Shack place - but it's still got pretty rubbish reviews!

Had a fantastic curry the night of the Sunderland game!  Can't remember the name of the restaurant though - I think it might have been Athithi on York Street (just googled it and I think it was that one).

Can't say I'm surprised but looks like it sprung up towards the end of the six nations. Oh well, one last watering hole although the menu looks decent.

Don't think I've been to that one. Last time we went it would've been one near the Webb Ellis I think. Not the best in the world but was a last minute thing and all we could get on a matchday. 

It's only just round the corner from the Webb Ellis - give it a try, it's good.

The other place we like to eat is the Albert on Twickenham Green - a bit of a trudge but worth it - they've got a Thai restaurant at the back - superb!

Thanks for the recommendation.  :good2:

That bbq place does look pretty good though.

• 3 weeks later...

It's exactly the sort of design I was hoping for, something unique and gives a sense of identity rather than a lifeless bowl design. 

Hopefully the club have a way of making this work. 

To have a beautiful looking stadium and increasing the capacity almost sounds too good to be true.

Eager to hear more details.  

Early days but I am excited with these proposals.

They are the sort of thing I was hoping for, i.e. a bespoke design which will maintain the feel of a football stadium whilst incorporating an element of 'character' to it...... basically the complete opposite of that god awful 'sports arena' bowl they call the 'emirates' stadium.

This will be a long old road but early signs are certainly good.

Am going to the Bridge tonight to see the plans and meet the consultants.

As mentioned in another thread I'm going to ask about an area for standing (the whole of the Shed Lower or MH Lower or both?); where away fans will be located; and if there will be an impact on prices. A couple I know are ST holders at Man. City and as part of the redevelopment.of the Etihad stadium the cost of their ST is being reduced by £100.

Hopefully local residents and representatives from the Council will be there and it would be good to find out what they think. Am assuming that the club would have had a number of discussions with the council but will try and find out. It will be interesting to know what local businesses think of the plans especially if we have to move away for 2-3 years. A number of businesses especially the pubs and restaurants make a lot of money on match day.

Plans look impressive. I wonder if the part the Shed Wall which was retained after the redevelopment in the nineties will stay. A nice memento of the "old" Stamford Bridge. Also, will the club allow fans to buy a brick in the new stadium and have their names engraved on it. I know that Ibrox has bricks with names on it. I suspect other grounds do. Would be a nice touch and a sign that fans have a stake in the ground. We have the CPO but a brick with a name would be a nice addition. 

Will also ask why invitations to attend didn't go out to all memberships. From asking around and seeing post on here it seems that people were chosen randomly.

Will post tomorrow about how the meeting went.