Our New Stadium

junio_oscarSY
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I find Lloyds incredibly soulless considering how many people are in there, no atmosphere at all.  Brogans has singing and good ale but is quite expensive.  Does the Goose have decent beer and singing?  Might give it a try if it does.

The Goose normally has four or five ales. A few lagers as well. Some of the ales are about £3 a pint - not bad for that part of London. Singing on occasions.

The Goose normally has four or five ales. A few lagers as well. Some of the ales are about £3 a pint - not bad for that part of London. Singing on occasions.

Sounds very promising - as long as I can persuade myself to walk past Brogans!

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

It's the AGM of the Chelsea Pitch Owners next Friday, 30 January. I'm going along with a couple of others. Anyone on here going? Hopefully will be a good turnout. If I can, will take some notes and post on here.

So how did the AGM go Boyne? Anything worth discussing in regards to the future of Stamford Bridge and the potential move away from it if that ever transpires.

Would be worth hearing your thoughts. 

• 1 month later...

It was the only decision we could make.

Not to rehash the past but it isn't. Hopefully the club find a workaround that enables us to stay at the bridge but there was another option.

Thing is the types of options we may need to take at the current site are usually fairly expensive. CPO is in debt isn't it. Suppose uncle Roman will have to pay for it.

Not to rehash the past but it isn't. Hopefully the club find a workaround that enables us to stay at the bridge but there was another option.

Thing is the types of options we may need to take at the current site are usually fairly expensive. CPO is in debt isn't it. Suppose uncle Roman will have to pay for it.

At the time & the way Chelsea had acted with their underhand tactics it was, end of the day us CPO were protecting Stamford Bridge just like we were when we bought our shares, if Chelsea had acted differently & had concrete plans in place we'd have all voted Yes.

At the time & the way Chelsea had acted with their underhand tactics it was, end of the day us CPO were protecting Stamford Bridge just like we were when we bought our shares, if Chelsea had acted differently & had concrete plans in place we'd have all voted Yes.

Again, rehashing old arguments is pointless but I thought it showed a tremendous lack of faith in a man who had done so much for this club and I say that as a CPO shareholder with family who also have them. When you look at where we were under Bates, it's arguable that Roman saved us from going down the same route as Leeds yet people didn't trust him.

Yes the board went about it the wrong way but how much long-term damage has been done to this club? Hopefully not much because there may be a way to stay at the current site but who will pay for that? Oh right, Roman.

It's hard to understate what the CPO did to save this club in the dark days, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't acknowledge they might not be perfect and may not be subject to the same things any organisation develops over time - personal agendas and infighting.

Edited by Blue Daze

Again, rehashing old arguments is pointless but I thought it showed a tremendous lack of faith in a man who had done so much for this club and I say that as a CPO shareholder with family who also have them. When you look at where we were under Bates, it's arguable that Roman saved us from going down the same route as Leeds yet people didn't trust him.

Yes the board went about it the wrong way but how much long-term damage has been done to this club? Hopefully not much because there may be a way to stay at the current site but who will pay for that? Oh right, Roman.

It's hard to understate what the CPO did to save this club in the dark days, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't acknowledge they might not be perfect and may not be subject to the same things any organisation develops over time - personal agendas and infighting.

Hard to disagree with that.

I thought it showed a tremendous lack of faith in a man who had done so much for this club a

This was not too long after he went against 99.9% of Chelsea fans wishes and sacked club legend Di Matteo and installed Chelsea fans hate figure Rafael Benitez on the basis of what was deemed best for the club and in turn the fans.

As much as I love what Abramovich has done for our club and appreciate how good we have it, I would also never forget that as much as he may seem like 'one of us' he really isn't in reality. Not in the context London born match going Chelsea fans who have grown up walking down the Fulham Road and desperately wish to maintain the clubs roots and heritage. 

I do have faith in Abramovich and the board to a point but the sacking of Di Matteo and appointment of Benitez, to me, demonstrated a) how disconnected with the fans they were, and b) how they were willing to put what the fans wanted second when it came to what they deemed would be best for the club as a whole.

On this basis I feel the CPO perhaps didn't feel comfortable this logic may not be applied again and I can understand why. 

Do Abramovich and the board feel as passionately as the fans about staying true to our SW6 roots? I doubt they feel the same as me put it like that. Is it inconceivable that they could deem it best for the club that we move to, for example, Twickenham because it 'makes sense' on paper? Who knows, but I wouldn't personally want to take that risk.

It's a very tricky situation as I understand why the club are limited as to what they can make public when looking at certain land/sites but considering what's at stake I want want more of a contractual agreement as to where we could end up before we hand full control over to the board.

/\superb post. You've highlighted the issues associated with Roman that I alluded to, albeit not as well as you have. A significant amount of land and property in London is now Russian owned, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

This was not too long after he went against 99.9% of Chelsea fans wishes and sacked club legend Di Matteo and installed Chelsea fans hate figure Rafael Benitez on the basis of what was deemed best for the club and in turn the fans.

6 months after a CL win, 5 months after signing Eden Hazard, 5 months before a Europa League win and 6 months before reappointing Jose. Almost like he's a successful businessman with a long-term plan.

I do have faith in Abramovich and the board to a point but the sacking of Di Matteo and appointment of Benitez, to me, demonstrated a) how disconnected with the fans they were, and b) how they were willing to put what the fans wanted second when it came to what they deemed would be best for the club as a whole.

Again, we're about to win the league so it's fair to say that his decision paid off. But maybe sticking with Robbie Di Matteo might've seen us in the same place. Impossible to say.

Do Abramovich and the board feel as passionately as the fans about staying true to our SW6 roots? I doubt they feel the same as me put it like that. Is it inconceivable that they could deem it best for the club that we move to, for example, Twickenham because it 'makes sense' on paper? Who knows, but I wouldn't personally want to take that risk.

We almost certainly wouldn't move to Twickenham permanently because the RFU and council wouldn't allow it, but temporarily it's an option especially if we want to redevelop the Bridge. 

I know for some Roman is always going to be a Jonny Come Lately but the guy has done a tremendous amount for this club and looks to me like he truly loves supporting this club. But yeah, he didn't sit in the East Stand in 1995 against Southampton when it was pissing down hailstones the size of gold balls. :smile:

It's a very tricky situation as I understand why the club are limited as to what they can make public when looking at certain land/sites but considering what's at stake I want want more of a contractual agreement as to where we could end up before we hand full control over to the board.

A partnership of sorts? I always find these types of demands a little odd. Thanks for putting a billion quid into the club and thanks for wanting to redesign the stadium so that more of my mates can come and watch a game, and thanks in advance for making it easier for me to take a piss at half-time....now here's my list of demands.

Like I said, can't understate what the CPO did for this club but the distrust for a man who gave us as much is a little crass. Is there a figure for you that would offset the fact that he wasn't born in London and grew up walking down the Fulham Road.

I should point out that I wasn't born in London by the way, but used to park on the Embankment and walk to the Fulham Road. :JC_doubleup:

6 months after a CL win, 5 months after signing Eden Hazard, 5 months before a Europa League win and 6 months before reappointing Jose. Almost like he's a successful businessman with a long-term plan.

Talk about missing the point. 

Talk about missing the point. 

Not at all. Rafa was an awful bloke who said nasty things about our fans (although never ever asked for us to give the team 25% of the Anfield crowd's support) and plastic flags (of which I've had two placed on my seat in the space of a week) but I simply think Roman had a long-term plan in place.

He's a succesful businessman. He didn't just get lucky as some might think and that means making unpopular decisions at times. Robbie was popular but he's not a good manager. Rafa Benitez is a better manager than him, but he's unpopular and Jose is a great manager and massively popular so he went with the best short-term option in order to get us to a point where we could employ the best long-term option.

I thought we all moved on and gave Rafa his due. Obviously not, although I didn't hear much of that in Amsterdam.

Also the vote was in 2011, Rafa was appointed in 2013.

Edited by Blue Daze

I have had time to reply to your post a bit better now.

As I said, this is massively missing the point.

Some things are more important to fans than trophy counts, league positions and 'marquee signings'; where we play and our identity is absolutely one of these things.

Referencing the fact he is a business man (as opposed to a fan like you you or I) only goes to demonstrate my point further in the context of this discussion. It may make perfect business and financial sense to move to a location however this location could be somewhere that the fans find unacceptable. 

We almost certainly wouldn't move to Twickenham permanently because the RFU and council wouldn't allow it, but temporarily it's an option especially if we want to redevelop the Bridge. 

This was obviously just an example, I could have picked White City or a ground share with QPR in a new stadium as another example of unpalatable ideas which could make perfectly good 'business sense'. 

A partnership of sorts? I always find these types of demands a little odd. Thanks for putting a billion quid into the club and thanks for wanting to redesign the stadium so that more of my mates can come and watch a game, and thanks in advance for making it easier for me to take a piss at half-time....now here's my list of demands.

List of demands? We would hardly be stamping our feet demanding golden toilet seats and reclining leather sofas in the stands.

We would simply be looking for reassurance that the heart and soul won't be ripped out of our club. We would be looking for reassurance that the club we have followed and loved for decades will not lose it's identity overnight. Hardly taking the piss.

Is there a figure for you that would offset the fact that he wasn't born in London and grew up walking down the Fulham Road.

Think you are reading too much into that comment and getting a bit defensive about it as a result.

Most Chelsea fans these days probably weren't born in London and it really doesn't matter. My point was just that he is a billionaire from Russia who decided to buy Chelsea in 2003 when he got into football. I don't know about you but that makes him pretty different from most of the match going Chelsea fans I know. 

Also the vote was in 2011, Rafa was appointed in 2013.

Actually Benitez was appointed in 2012 but your point remains that it was after the vote, my mistake.