• Mikel
    • Schurrle
    • Fabregas
    • Salah
    • Costa
    • Remy (sub)
    • Ramires (sub)
    • Loftus-Cheek (sub)

Matic was absolutely brilliant both in defence and attack and showed exactly what we were missing on Saturday. But that's just what he does every match so it's hardly exceptional for him and probably won't be rewarded in the way it should be, which is fine.

He for me is the player that impacts so much of the good stuff we do.

Zouma was tidy and showed some nice passes, Mikel had one of his most complete performances for us and Fabregas pinged balls around in a way few others can....but Matic was just sublime.

Zouma looked assured again, alongside Cahill, who was solid, Matic was very good, Fabregas had a good game. Salah was actually very good in my opinion, good control, did well to find space, his crosses were accurate, and he should be given more match time in the league now, in my opinion. Schurlle looked up for it, he scored a great goal, but it's out of Salah and Mikel for me, I was criticised for saying that I'm tired of the Mikel haters, and he's come in and put in a very solid performance, scoring a goal to boot, I have to go with him.

Special mention for Lotus Cheek, he's clearly talented.

Edited by JoeyBlue25

I thought Shurrle done well under a bit of pressure to perform and showed enough to give Jose more to think about, Mikel had a very good game as did Matic and I thought Azpi apart from a bit of a silly tackle late on showed why if Jose is as happy with Ivan as we all should be it is going to be hard for Luis to break into the first team.

Zouma looks assured and I never worry whichever CB he replaces as he just does the Job.

I'll give my vote to Mikel as he scored the goal to steady any nerves and had a good game all round.

Jon Obi Zidane MOTM. Two quality performances in a row.

Also felt Schurrle had his best game for a very, very long time. Luis was good going forwards but not as sound defensively.

Good result, job done but Sporting looked a poor side.

Also felt Schurrle had his best game for a very, very long time. Luis was good going forwards but not as sound defensively.

What was your opinion on Matic out of interest?

Pretty much how I saw it Just. Azpi, Schurrle and Matic all had very good games but give Mikel MOTM for a good all round display.

Was happy to see Schurrle take his chance. As the commentators said, he might not have the skill & agility of the likes of Willian & Oscar but he is more direct and always more likely to score.

And as good as Luis is on the ball and going forward, at the moment you really wouldn't want to rely on him defensively in an important game.

What was your opinion on Matic out of interest?

Had a better second half than first. Put a reasonable chance over the bar, a chance that had Willian done the same thing he would have got criticized by some for not hitting the target.

Out of the two, IMO, Mikel had the better all round game on the night.

Had a better second half than first. Put a reasonable chance over the bar, a chance that had Willian done the same thing he would have got criticized by some for not hitting the target.

Out of the two, IMO, Mikel had the better all round game on the night.

Because Mikel scored?

Matic led the team in tackles and interceptions, completed 93% of his passes and was key to us winning that match. His ball over the top to Salah completely turned Sporting and led to us winning the penalty, whilst his driving run and pass to Schurrle set-up the second.

But that's what he does all the time and it's that type of thing that actually wins you matches. It's what we absolutely missed in midfield on Saturday.

But Mikel had a good game too and I can understand that people are more likely to vote for something that has novelty value than something that we have come to expect on a regular basis. I'm happy for both of them.

I've gone with Schurrle. 

As impressive as Mikel was slamming home his screamer of a goal and lofting in decent forward passes all night I thought that Schurrle stepped up with a performance that will have Jose debating his team selection for Saturday. 

It's been said before but his directness and willingness to run in behind defense rather than wanting the ball to feet all the time makes for a different option and, in my opinion, makes us less predictable in attack. 

Because Mikel scored?

Matic led the team in tackles and interceptions, completed 93% of his passes and was key to us winning that match. His ball over the top to Salah completely turned Sporting and led to us winning the penalty, whilst his driving run and pass to Schurrle set-up the second.

But that's what he does all the time and it's that type of thing that actually wins you matches. It's what we absolutely missed in midfield on Saturday.

But Mikel had a good game too and I can understand that people are more likely to vote for something that has novelty value than something that we have come to expect on a regular basis. I'm happy for both of them.

I know you love statistics BD so here you go, probably from the same place you got yours:

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/885757/LiveStatistics/Europe-UEFA-Champions-League-2014-2015-Chelsea-Sporting-CP

And after all the statistics are put into the computer and the "result" button pushed the highest rated player on the night was................................................. Mikel.

I know you love statistics BD so here you go, probably from the same place you got yours:

http://www.whoscored.com/Matches/885757/LiveStatistics/Europe-UEFA-Champions-League-2014-2015-Chelsea-Sporting-CP

And after all the statistics are put into the computer and the "result" button pushed the highest rated player on the night was................................................. Mikel.

So your argument is who got the best score based on some flawed algorithm that gives a greater weight to goals, regardless of when they're scored?

Maybe you should've watched the game.

Stats have their place but have to be interpreted alongside what actually happens on the pitch. 

Mikel for me... It's cool to beat on him but amoung the managers that have considered him an important part of our team you have Jose, (x2) Carlo, Gus, Robbie D, AVB, Fat raffa... 

Not all the names on that list are what you would call "steller" but there is enough top class managers that have not looked to move him on to tell me that he's a pretty usefull player.

Also I'm looking at him for what he offers us which is an outlet, a player who can receive the ball and  more often then not recycle it well under pressure. Could he look to go forward more, absolutely. And he seems to play within him self some times. But when i watch mikel i see some one that can keep us ticking over, win the ball back when we need it and do a fantastic job helping out he defense. Last night he was Majestic. 

Mikel for me... It's cool to beat on him 

Explain this? Why is it 'cool to beat on him'?

Sorry but that's from the same sewage pipe that the 'scapegoat' bullsh*t comes from. Mikel has been criticised in the past because he hasn't put in performances like he did last night - pure and simple. 

So your argument is who got the best score based on some flawed algorithm that gives a greater weight to goals, regardless of when they're scored?

Maybe you should've watched the game.

Stats have their place but have to be interpreted alongside what actually happens on the pitch. 

^ and what you interpret from watching the game and the statistics is correct and others are wrong?

I think you are like pretty much everyone else, me included. You have your own personal favourites such as Matic and those you aren't keen on like Mikel and Willian.

It was ever thus. Personal opinions.

^ and what you interpret from watching the game and the statistics is correct and others are wrong?

I think you are like pretty much everyone else, me included. You have your own personal favourites such as Matic and those you aren't keen on like Mikel and Willian.

It was ever thus. Personal opinions.

I like Matic because he does the business week-in and week-out. He's vastly under-appreciated despite being one of the best midfielders in the world.

Mikel on the other hand has become 'cool' to like. For years people talked up the unseen work he did and implied that his detractors weren't savvy enough to understand what he did, despite them being able to see exactly what Makelele and now Matic brings to the side. They'd use words like scapegoat to defend him and denigrate decent supporters who criticised him.

Fact is that if he had put more performances like the one last night then he wouldn't be criticised. 

As for last night Matic was integral to us asserting dominance over Sporting and his passing directly led to the two goals which killed the match off. Mikel had a good game and played far more progressively than he has done in years. I just think it's obvious to anyone who watched the match what it was that actually supplied the foundation for the result.

The good thing is that the two of them together looked promising.

Explain this? Why is it 'cool to beat on him'?

Sorry but that's from the same sewage pipe that the 'scapegoat' bullsh*t comes from. Mikel has been criticised in the past because he hasn't put in performances like he did last night - pure and simple. 

I'm not sure what Mikel has done with your wife, I'm sure what every it was it was infact Majestic, as was his performance was last night.... but you have to let this grudge go, its not healthy for any one.... just breath it out, maybe some bykram?? 

I'm not sure what Mikel has done with your wife, I'm sure what every it was it was infact Majestic, as was his performance was last night.... but you have to let this grudge go, its not healthy for any one.... just breath it out, maybe some bykram?? 

Mate, I asked you a fair question and you come back with that crap? I don't have a grudge against Mikel, in fact I've explained my view on him quite clearly in fairly simple to understand English. 

Simple fact is there's plenty of people who say stuff like you do but can't actually explain the rationale (that basically means the reasons) behind them. If you could have a go at explaining why you use the words you do then it would be great - otherwise don't use these words and just stick to the ones you do actually have an understanding of.

Ok sweetie