Thibaut Courtois

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I think last night shows everyone that a GK of his ability and potential cant be replaced easily. The only upgrades, and it can be argued that theyre not as good as TBo in some areas, are De Gea and Neuer. Courtois is easily in the top 3 in the world and for commanding his area hes better than both Neuer and DDG for coming off his line to claim crosses and hes better than both of them, his kicking isnt as accurate as either but hes much more inclined to leave his line than DDG is.

I'd be delighted if we kept him and if the quotes are true, signing Tbo to a new deal, means Eden will follow suit and sign on too.

Keeping those two while signing the players Conte wants, will push us on for next year and a shot at the title.

not going to be excited until him and Hazard are tied up, but sounds very promising at least. Hopefully we receive 0 bids from Real this January.

With Tibo, Dave, Christensen, Kante, Hazard and Morata (if he can sort his finishing out), we have a pretty excellent core. Definitely still need a top-class wing back and attacker to take the strain off Eden slightly.

Sandro + Lemar/Mahrez/Greizman/Belotti would be my preferences (unlikely I know)      

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, axman2526 said:

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2018/2/6/16976886/courtois-blames-reckless-refereeing-deulofeu-dive-for-chelsea-collapse

Sorry tibo if you dive in recklessly you are asking for a pen to go against you. 

Yep, sure the attacker made a meal of it but Courtois f**ked up and did catch him. Definite pen - poor from Tibo.

2 minutes ago, TomCFC85 said:

So Thibaut has just said "His heart is in Madrid"
For f**ks sake, exactly what we need right now.

I know tis could come bite me in the ass...... but he is by far the "world class" player I'd be most willing to part ways with in order to help fund a squad rebuilding/improvement.  Think he'd be the easiest to replace too.

2 minutes ago, Barry Bridges said:

I know tis could come bite me in the ass...... but he is by far the "world class" player I'd be most willing to part ways with in order to help fund a squad rebuilding/improvement.  Think he'd be the easiest to replace too.

our back up keeper seems more than capable 

4 minutes ago, Barry Bridges said:

Oblak would be a great replacement but I'd be willing to accept Butland if it means we can have less Brexit outfield players.

He also said he expects to sign a new contract with Chelsea along with Eden, that he’s happy here and he can see the club are still fighting to win trophies. 

To be fair if most people’s young kids were in a different country they’d be wanting to be there too. It must be hard, especially when he can’t just go see them when he wants. 

4 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

He also said he expects to sign a new contract with Chelsea along with Eden, that he’s happy here and he can see the club are still fighting to win trophies. 

To be fair if most people’s young kids were in a different country they’d be wanting to be there too. It must be hard, especially when he can’t just go see them when he wants. 

I might be missing something but why are his kids in Spain in the first place? He was there for what? Three years?

1 minute ago, Munkworth said:

He & his girlfriend split, she moved back with the kids. 

I see, I see.
Still, I think it's a very strange comment to make while the team aren't doing well and he has signed a new contract. 

Courtois and Hazard are going. Poor timing from Courtois if he indeed has said that. We need to be sticking together as one at the moment and riding this wave. To be fair, I'm surprised Courtois has lasted this long at Chelsea. It's pretty clear he enjoyed his time at Atletico, and that Madrid is very close to his heart. If I were Chelsea, I'd start scouting potential replacements now. 

2 minutes ago, Famous CFC said:

Courtois and Hazard are going. Poor timing from Courtois if he indeed has said that. We need to be sticking together as one at the moment and riding this wave. To be fair, I'm surprised Courtois has lasted this long at Chelsea. It's pretty clear he enjoyed his time at Atletico, and that Madrid is very close to his heart. If I were Chelsea, I'd start scouting potential replacements now. 

Full story.

I’m sure the club already have a few replacements in mind. I hear David James or David Seaman are available on a free...

5 minutes ago, Munkworth said:

Full story.

I’m sure the club already have a few replacements in mind. I hear David James or David Seaman are available on a free...

It was pretty much what I expected. Fair play, least he's honest. If Courtois stays, then I only see him staying until age 28 or 29. Hazard maybe stays for another two seasons if he extends. 

1 hour ago, Munkworth said:

They've both talked about each other signing a new deal strangely as if they are linked together. I think Tibo is keeping doors open, he will only leave if RM want him this summer, if not he'll sign and stay but will always be waiting for that call. I wonder if keeping a player with that mindset is a positive thing.

I'm not too fussed if he leaves. I don't think he is irreplaceable and honestly think he has stagnated a bit with his development. The cost of reportedly keeping him (£200K+) is way too much for a keeper of his ability and he really isn't enough of a game changer to warrant that wage. There are a couple of Goalkeeper's out there that we could sign without much if any change in quality.

Hazard on the other hand.... That worries me.