Following Our Nearest & Dearest Rivals, 2015/2016

Pep setting about the ground work already, I am glad the Euros are coming up to avoid all the silly season tabloid crap, but hopefully we can land a few star names ourselves. We'll have to pay through the nose no doubt.

We are dragging our heals again, before the world cup we had most of our work done, last season we where scrambling for rubish at the last moment. Clubs don't want to part with players in the last weeks of a window. Arsenal and City already doing work, garantee united have some players sorted soon. Not even a wisper with us 

That was my biggest fear of bringing Conte in over others.

He will be focussed solely on Italy and the Euros before digging into what needs done here. By the time they come home our rivals will have already strengthened (City and Arsenal have already). I don’t see us linked with any names that tell me we will be catching them up anytime soon but hopefully there is something going on in the background like the Cesc deal.

I felt the same way. Things don't exactly go to plan when hiring a manager who is arriving after an international tournament. I'm not concerned just yet but i can see why people would be after how slow we were in last summers transfer window.

Edited by Scott Harris

Guest Sindre

One would have to assume that Conte have made a list of targets we are trying to acquire though. If not that would be beyond stupid but with strong links to for example Koulibaly, Nainggolan, Rudiger and others i assume we are working on signings right now. Whether we can close the deals or not i don't know though but the club better have a plan for that.

RdM named the new Aston villa manager!

All the best Robbie! I hope you can bounce them back to the Prem and show what you're made of!

Forever our legend!

Mixed feelings about this, wish RdM (and Steve Clarke) all the best of course but I think Villa are making another huge mistake appointing him (first Tim Sherwood, Garde, now potentially RdM). There's a reason why he didn't last long here or Schalke imo. That said Villa is a good opportunity for him to prove his credentials. If I was a Villa fan I would have preferred Bruce or Pearson.

Edited by the special one

Mixed feelings about this, wish RdM (and Steve Clarke) all the best of course but I think Villa are making another huge mistake appointing him (first Tim Sherwood, Garde, now potentially RdM). There's a reason why he didn't last long here or Schalke imo. That said Villa is a good opportunity for him to prove his credentials. If I was a Villa fan I would have preferred Bruce or Pearson.

I doubt Bruce would even consider it. He's gotten Hull promoted again, and they've stuck with him through thick and thin.

I'm surprised anyone was willing to take the Villa job let alone a big name like RDM.

Why?? Are you forgetting RDM took West Brom up? He has Championship pedigree, and you seem to be downplaying his achievements a bit for some reason, He has to have something about him if he could motivate a bunch of disgruntled players under AVB into winning the CL.

Edited by Kinkladze1871

I felt the same way. Things don't exactly go to plan when hiring a manager who is arriving after an international tournament. I'm not concerned just yet but i can see why people would be after how slow we were in last summers transfer window.

Surely it's Emenalo's duty to step up to the plate with Conte busy preparing Italy for the Euro's? What's his role at the club if he cannot at least identify targets and make some bids for them, Of course he has to consult Conte but surely they would have known about when Conte starts his role. 

Why?? Are you forgetting RDM took West Brom up? He has Championship pedigree, and you seem to be downplaying his achievements a bit for some reason, He has to have something about him if he could motivate a bunch of disgruntled players under AVB into winning the CL.

For me I think RDM inherited a group of players tailormade for the Championship (Blunt, Morrison etc)... he was found out the following year (a recurring theme).

At Villa I don't think he's inheriting a group of players tailormade for the Championship so in that respect it will be interesting to see what (if any) changes he makes. Not saying he's a bad manager but if given the choice would have gone with Bruce/Pearson... they both have a proven track record at essentially building competitive teams.

For me he's a good man manager but if his recent track record is anything to go by he's been the custodian of teams that generally underperform.

Edited by the special one

Watching the England - Portugal game, didn't realise Carvalho was still playing, even at international level.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I was too young to properly analyze games back when he was with us, but who would people say was better for us, him or Gallas?

I was too young to properly analyze games back when he was with us, but who would people say was better for us, him or Gallas?

Different types of player, both had different strengths and weaknesses. My favourite was carvalho but only just. Gallas was incredibly athletic and strong, recovered mistakes well and man marked well. Carvalho was much cleverer magnificent positional play, nicked so many passes of the attackers toes and was excellent on the ball, great passer too.

Edited by dkw