Andreas Christensen

6 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Add Ramires and Paulo and we gave an 11 (not a bad one btw)

4-4-2 Cech, Paulo, Cahill, Terry, Dave, Ramires, Matic, Fabregas, Pedro, Costa, Torres

Andreas and Demba will have to settle for a place on the bench.

Not a bad little team that to be fair :good2:

1 minute ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Christensen is severely underrated by most fans I think. He’s a quality player and I actually think his physicality has improved quite a bit of late. He’s winning a lot more in the air and doesn’t get pushed off the ball nearly as much as he used to in my opinion.

Hmm I don't know, there have been several times where he's been bullied in the air this season and he hasn't played that many games. 

50 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Christensen is severely underrated by most fans I think. He’s a quality player and I actually think his physicality has improved quite a bit of late. He’s winning a lot more in the air and doesn’t get pushed off the ball nearly as much as he used to in my opinion.

Agree and have defended him generally. Has the makings of a really classy centre back in my view. Thought it was harsh that he got slated for Man U error as much as he did given the circumstances. Until then he was our best player that game. Is easily the best on the ball of our centre backs and an intelligent player. Trouble is once a player gets a reputation (in this case for being weak in aerial challengers) said player has his work cut out undoing it.

A player like Christensen is never going to struggle playing in a 3 at the back system, he could do it in his sleep. 

The problems start to arise when in a back 4 and I think this supports my view that he lacks confidence, either in himself or the whole defence when playing in a back 4 cause when he just does what is natural to him he puts in performances like this.

Not to draw any long-term conclusions from this, but he was massive today, didn't put a foot wrong. Looked like the assured, classy Christensen we saw in the first half of Conte's second season.

That said, as Davey mentioned, there are some mitigating circumstances...

6 hours ago, EdinburghBlue said:

He’s winning a lot more in the air and doesn’t get pushed off the ball nearly as much as he used to in my opinion.

Today he was beating Lucas Moura in the air, which may be why he looked dominant. Has he ever got his nut on the end of a corner, when you have to be brave and risk cracking your skull against somebody else's? He's as bad in the air as I've ever seen in a CB. Today he looked good I'll grant you but again, has he ever looked good in a 2? This was a very impotent Tottenham side, without their two best players and best goalscorers. By any reasonable standard, it's been a very unimpressive season from him for me, and we haven't done well with him in the side, generally. That said, Frank obviously sees something in him so hopefully there's a player in there somewhere, but when you think of the CBs we've had in the past, this guy is a very poor relation for me.

1 hour ago, Davey Baby said:

Today he was beating Lucas Moura in the air, which may be why he looked dominant. Has he ever got his nut on the end of a corner, when you have to be brave and risk cracking your skull against somebody else's? He's as bad in the air as I've ever seen in a CB. Today he looked good I'll grant you but again, has he ever looked good in a 2? This was a very impotent Tottenham side, without their two best players and best goalscorers. By any reasonable standard, it's been a very unimpressive season from him for me, and we haven't done well with him in the side, generally. That said, Frank obviously sees something in him so hopefully there's a player in there somewhere, but when you think of the CBs we've had in the past, this guy is a very poor relation for me.

He dominated Joelinton in the air a couple of weeks ago who is a very physical centre forward. Just because he doesn’t score goals as a CB doesn’t mean anything. Not every CB is a John Terry or a Cahill.

To answer if he’s ever looked good in a 2, yes - he was one of our better players against United before being smashed in the face and having his nose broken. 

You’re entitled to your opinion but I don’t think the results can be put down to Christensen. I can’t think of one goal we’ve conceded where I can say ‘yeah that was definitely his fault’.

The same could be said for any position... Tammy is no Drogba either. But he’s still only 23 and by far out best CB in terms of positioning and ability on the ball in my opinion.

9 hours ago, Davey Baby said:

Some people have an opinion and will stick with it no matter how wrong they are.🤦🏽‍♂️🤦🏽‍♂️

9 hours ago, just said:

He played well, but agreed, you have to give consideration as to whom he was playing against. Likewise our central midfield two today were up against w**ks and Ndombele.

Agreed. Always looks better in a three where he  can use his nous to mop things up rather than mark and cover at the same time.

I think he is a good player. Good but not great in a physical league. I don't see him in our next title winning team. For me in the summer it's best we gave him a chance to fulfil his potential elsewhere, perhaps in the same way a Pique did after not being quite cut out for Premier League football.