Andreas Christensen

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

1 hour ago, Belfast_blue5 said:

He's still only 23-24 so there is still room for improvement. His best qualities for me is when the balls at his feet. What he really lacks is strength and aggression. Strength can be worked on and i think its really hurting his game teams are starting to target him. 

What he really needs is a leader and someone to organise beside him. No of the current centre backs we have can do that. 

Yeah I agree with this

• 3 weeks later...

Done well when he came on, I think it was a foul against him in the build up to their second. Bellerin stretched for the ball after Christensen won it and kicked him. If you’re late going for a ball and kick the man, it’s always given as a foul. I don’t understand why Taylor decided that wasn’t... oh yes I do, it’s because he’s a c**t.

If we’re playing three at the back Christensen should be starting. It’s the place he excels.

Zouma - Christensen - Azpilicueta should be our back three if we must play that formation. I never want to see Rudiger play for us again.

On 12/07/2020 at 17:42, Zeta said:

We can't sell our entire backline at once, we are going to have to phase them out and new players in. I would get rid of Rudiger and Zouma first and keep him around on the off-chance he massively improves. If not, then he can go in a season or 2.

Zouma is miles better than Christensen.

Just now, Chelsbear said:

Guys terrible. Has the strength of an fly and the intelligence of a newt. 

He and Rudiger are not good enough period. 

Sadly I think you are right CB. Zouma is the only one I would keep. He has his limitations but his physical presence, pace, aerial ability and his total commitment is something we need from more of our defenders. 

55 minutes ago, just said:

Sadly I think you are right CB. Zouma is the only one I would keep. He has his limitations but his physical presence, pace, aerial ability and his total commitment is something we need from more of our defenders. 

I agree. When Zouma makes an error he has the power and pace to recover which neither Rudiger or Christensen possess so for that alone Zouma is a better choice. 

Christensen hasn't kicked on from when he was a highly rated youngster playing in Germany, in fact he has regressed massively. Rudiger I just don't think can cut it at the top, his confidence is shot and he doesn't appear to be the type of player that can recover from that. 

Best to ship them out and bring in some real quality. 

6 hours ago, The Brit said:

Bit surprised Christensen is getting pelters after cup final. Not saying he’s not deserved criticism this season and in recent games, but he wasn’t to blame For either goal and actually made some key blocks, tackles. 

Same people jumping to the defence of Zouma for defending like a traffic cone for their second goal. None are good enough to be starting for us if we want to even think about challenging for the league never mind the CL. Christensen is the one most likely to be ok with being a backup player (He’ll walk in to the Danish national side anyway). He also gives us the versatility when we decide (hopefully we don’t) to play a back three next year which is where excels.

Zouma - completely different, he needs to be playing to prove he deserves to even be in the squad with Varane, Laporte and Upamencano there as well. I don’t think he’ll be as happy sitting as a back up as some of you make out. 

We ideally need one top class CB & one very decent CB to be our starters then you have Christensen and Tomori as back up and if it’s in a four I’d actually probably go Tomori above Christensen. If we could get anything near the pre-covid price of £40m for Zouma from an Everton. They still really need to strengthen particularly defensively if they want to keep hold of Richarlison for another year. In fact, I’m sure Sky had an interview with him where he said Ancelotti asked him for one more year so he could get better players in alongside him, so we’ll see. Rudiger maybe £20-25m from someone in the Bundesliga if we’re lucky. I always thought he relied quite a bit on those last ditch lunging tackles he does usually with two straight legs which always worried me. Those knee injuries have really taken an affect on his performances quite drastically.

15 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

Same people jumping to the defence of Zouma for defending like a traffic cone for their second goal. None are good enough to be starting for us if we want to even think about challenging for the league never mind the CL. Christensen is the one most likely to be ok with being a backup player (He’ll walk in to the Danish national side anyway). He also gives us the versatility when we decide (hopefully we don’t) to play a back three next year which is where excels.

Zouma - completely different, he needs to be playing to prove he deserves to even be in the squad with Varane, Laporte and Upamencano there as well. I don’t think he’ll be as happy sitting as a back up as some of you make out. 

We ideally need one top class CB & one very decent CB to be our starters then you have Christensen and Tomori as back up and if it’s in a four I’d actually probably go Tomori above Christensen. If we could get anything near the pre-covid price of £40m for Zouma from an Everton. They still really need to strengthen particularly defensively if they want to keep hold of Richarlison for another year. In fact, I’m sure Sky had an interview with him where he said Ancelotti asked him for one more year so he could get better players in alongside him, so we’ll see. Rudiger maybe £20-25m from someone in the Bundesliga if we’re lucky. I always thought he relied quite a bit on those last ditch lunging tackles he does usually with two straight legs which always worried me. Those knee injuries have really taken an affect on his performances quite drastically.

We're going to be involved in the league, two domestic and one european cup competition next season. Given the amount of games Zouma will have more than enough playing time to make his case for the France squad. Add to this injuries/suspensions/loss of form of other defenders and he'll get plenty of chances.

I'd get rid of Christensen simply because I don't see the point in keeping him. I don't trust him even as a backup, he's too weak both physically and mentally, and there's always a mistake in him. He's had three years and plenty of opportunities to convince people he's the real deal and he failed time and again. 

I just don't get this fascination with Christensen. Perhaps it has to do with him being the first youngster breaking into the first team since JT did it and people desperately hoping he's something he's not, I don't know. 

He's just a limited footballer with a better touch than Zouma and Rudiger, but that's hardly an accomplishment.

Edited by abramovich

4 minutes ago, abramovich said:

We're going to be involved in the league, two domestic and one european cup competition next season. Given the amount of games Zouma will have more than enough playing time to make his case for the France squad. Add to this injuries/suspensions/loss of form of other defenders and he'll get plenty of chances.

I’ll address this part but the rest is your opinion which you’re entitled to and we won’t convince each other otherwise. 

The PL & CL we will be starting our strong back line in every game, bar injury. How many times in those types of games have Liverpool played a weakened team? Other than the group stage when they’ve qualified already or already won’t the league (where I actually think VVD still started). Do you honestly think a CB with it all to prove to get in a squad with two of the best CB’s around and one of Europes most highly rated young CB’s is going to settle for Carabao Cup and FA Cup games with the faint chance one of our CB’s gets injured or suspended in the year of the Euros? I would highly doubt it.

6 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I’ll address this part but the rest is your opinion which you’re entitled to and we won’t convince each other otherwise. 

The PL & CL we will be starting our strong back line in every game, bar injury. How many times in those types of games have Liverpool played a weakened team? Other than the group stage when they’ve qualified already or already won’t the league (where I actually think VVD still started). Do you honestly think a CB with it all to prove to get in a squad with two of the best CB’s around and one of Europes most highly rated young CB’s is going to settle for Carabao Cup and FA Cup games with the faint chance one of our CB’s gets injured or suspended in the year of the Euros? I would highly doubt it.

I'd say he'll easily have a better chance of being a starter at Chelsea with our current crop of CBs than he is at the national team. And even if we replaced Rudiger/Christensen with new CBs, there are no guarantees they'll immediately succeed and even if they do, he'll be in the same situation, as he is with France, at best, a third or even a fourth choice behind Varane, Laporte and Upamecano.

We don't know what goes on in Zouma's head. Sometimes being a squad player in a top side with top wages with a view of winning actual trophies while living in a capital may not be the worst option at this point of his career. He knows the club, he's well-liked and I'm sure he realizes only a tremendous amount of bad luck with injuries and suspensions will hand him a starting role at the Euros, given the abundance of individual talent in French football at the moment.

If anything, Lampard demonstrated that he believes in giving players chances based on merit. Perhaps he can convince Kurt he'll get enough playing time to prove his worth, if he stays. That is, if Frank wants to keep him in the first place, which none of us know for sure.

• 1 month later...

He's simply not a difference maker, the only argument I see here is that others were worse but that alone doesn't mean that Christensen is good by his own merit, today he can hide because T.Silva lost the ball but he's still never going to make up for someone's mistake, we conceded 3 goals and he was nowhere near to make a single tackle he only intercepted 1 ball in the second half by throwing his whole body into it... If that's a great performance then the usual standard for Christensen will never change and we will keep being bang average in defense with him.

1 minute ago, True Blue23 said:

He was our best defender today. If he can cut out his lapses in concentration, he could be one hell of a defender. He's very assured and comfortable in possession.

I’ve been one of his critics but his performance in this game and the Liverpool game (before the red card) kind of makes me see why frank sees something in him. If he can get rid of some flaws in his game he has the potential to be a very top defender.

2 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

I’ve been one of his critics but his performance in this game and the Liverpool game (before the red card) kind of makes me see why frank sees something in him. If he can get rid of some flaws in his game he has the potential to be a very top defender.

I hope another manager sees this post and shares your sentiments and makes an offer and he leaves. He deserves to be nowhere near Chelsea. 

22 minutes ago, Frankie8Lampard said:

I think he also had a very good game against Brighton. But he had games like that last season, like against Man City, but never managed to stay consistent. I still think of him as a potentially world class defender - he was brilliant under Conte until the Barca game and also very good for BMG - but he has to perform consistently now. This season he's still got a chance to show that he has a future here, but after Silva leaves we'll probably get a big money defender, and if he doesn't perform this season he's likely to be moved on, and rightfully so.

Edited by True Blue23

Yeah I thought he was good tonight, I groaned when I saw the line up but to be fair Christensen hasn’t put a foot wrong.

That’s the most frustrating thing with him - He certainly looks class every now and then, but then one game he gets bullied by a physical striker or makes a nightmare mistake.

I still don’t trust him, he has a long way to go yet.