Andreas Christensen

Excellent performance tonight, a key part of why we won.
Too many Chelsea fans writing him off. People forget he is only 23 which is nowhere near peak age for a centre half. I'd be happy to keep him as long as he wasn't looking to be a guaranteed starter and I don't get the impression that's on his nature.

Really good performance against one of the strongest sides in Europe. Definitely our best ball-playing centre back, just needs to keep the aggression in his game that we saw tonight, can sometimes look weak but he's still so far away from his peak. 

He's the best centre back we have at the moment. 

Ive been saying it time after time, hes the best centre back at the club. Hes actually been very good in a lot of the games hes played this year. Im not really sure why he gets so much criticism on here, esp as hes another player who played in our academy.

In my opinion hes potentially world class. We saw what happened with De Bruyne, Salah etc, lets not drive out another top talent.

49 minutes ago, Oli said:

Ive been saying it time after time, hes the best centre back at the club. Hes actually been very good in a lot of the games hes played this year. Im not really sure why he gets so much criticism on here, esp as hes another player who played in our academy.

In my opinion hes potentially world class. We saw what happened with De Bruyne, Salah etc, lets not drive out another top talent.

And that right there is the problem with our defence if he's our best defender. 

Not going to discredit him today because he was solid as an absolute rock, and to be fair I'm not really surprised. Today played to his strengths, City had no number 9 that was a physical threat and they weren't hitting us on the counter all the time. 

Unfortunately for him, most of our games won't be like that and when it gets to the nitty gritty, he just isn't good enough. 

1 hour ago, Oli said:

I agree with this and also think he gets too much stick. Really classy player with huge potential. indeed it would be a real shame if that is fulfilled  elsewhere.

A game like tonight suited him to a tee and showed why he would do so well in a less physical league. With no striker for 60 mins and Silva largely dropping deeper between the lines he wasn't asked to compete in the air and could step out to intercept or track runners down the sides without worrying about a strikers movement in behind.

I've been critical of his composure in the past but he did well, particularly after copping that ball in the face.

2 minutes ago, RIP Mourinho said:

Good game tonight but we've got to realise City didn't play with a striker. If Aguero had been playing and making his runs in behind and front post i'd like to have seen if he's have been just as dominant. 

Having said that credit to him tonight.

I actually think he struggles against big defenders, they just out muscle him.

The rest of his game is good.

When he plays as well as he did against City, he's easily our best CB. Has so much potential but its just really frustrating watching him sometimes. He really needs to start hitting the gym or something cause he still has the same weak build as 3-4 years ago

On 26/06/2020 at 08:25, Spiller86 said:

I actually saw him muscle someone off the ball tonight. Given it was a 5ft5 City midfielder playing striker, but still! 

he'll be bigger than 99% of the attackers he goes up against, so being a bully to ANYONE is a good start (pretty sure it was Mahrez he threw a shoulder in to, caught my attention as well)

5 hours ago, Skinnedy said:

he'll be bigger than 99% of the attackers he goes up against, so being a bully to ANYONE is a good start (pretty sure it was Mahrez he threw a shoulder in to, caught my attention as well)

Shame that didn't happen tonight. Moyes clever to pull Antonio on to him all night and just beat him in physical challenges, including for the third goal. I don't think I saw him win one challenge when Antonio had his back to goal. Either win it or foul him, Andreas was capable of neither.

16 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

Shame that didn't happen tonight. Moyes clever to pull Antonio on to him all night and just beat him in physical challenges, including for the third goal. I don't think I saw him win one challenge when Antonio had his back to goal. Either win it or foul him, Andreas was capable of neither.

And won’t get any better Saturday when Deeney does the exact same thing! 

I’ve spent sooo long defending him and I still truly believe he’s the only one of our CB’s composed on the ball and has to play. But I am getting fed up of performances like this. He’s now 23? This inconsistency needs to start being cut out. If I was frank, I’d have him in the gym after the season ends and have him bulk up significantly and give him one more season. 

Mainly because I’d line to see him, Zouma and Tomori play alongside a proper leader which Rudiger is definitely not.

I’d go Zouma - Christensen until the end of the season and that’s only because Tomori seems to have disappeared.

Just now, Gol15 said:

Well, 1 good performance against Man City that played with a false 9 doesn't change the fact that Christensen is struggling against any real striker out there. He will never be world class IMO.

I agree with most of that apart from the last bit. I think he is a very handy defender in a league that is less physical. I always compare him to Pique who really struggled at United but has become a legend in a less physical league.

I'd like to see him do the same. Problem I think is that Jody in particular is immensely loyal to him, describing him once as a Rolls Royce of a Defender. 

He's too weak, mentally and physically. He reminds me of the CB's Drogba would give nightmares to every season. You put him up against any physical player and he can't cope. The player doesn't even have to be very good, like Antonio today. Antonio is well off being anything special, but Christensen couldn't deal with him. Like I said in the match thread, he is like a winger vs a CB, that is how weak he is. No CB should ever be as weak as Christensen is. How can you rely on him for set pieces or balls played up to the lone striker? He just get's bullied every single time.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was physically the weakest player on the pitch today, that isn't something you want from your CB.

18 minutes ago, Spiller86 said:

I agree with most of that apart from the last bit. I think he is a very handy defender in a league that is less physical. I always compare him to Pique who really struggled at United but has become a legend in a less physical league.

I'd like to see him do the same. Problem I think is that Jody in particular is immensely loyal to him, describing him once as a Rolls Royce of a Defender. 

I think you're right, I take back what I said. In Serie A or La Liga he would probably be one of the best.