Chelsea vs. Bayern Munich (Pre-season) tue 25th of July 12:35

Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

3 minutes ago, CFCholland said:

Anyone else more excited by Christensen than Rudiger?
I know Rudiger didn't play today but judging from what I've seen from both I have higher hopes for Christensen.

Of course rudiger has the advantage of the money we paid for him.. That always plays a part.

I liked both. Christensen's only flaw to day was that he didn't play like Luiz and not as swashbuckling. Our backline was too defensive and wasn't assertive enough for the goals. If we swapped Cahill for Christensen and Luiz in the middle, I think we'd see a much stronger backline. 

I have to see how Rudiger play for us to get an estimation.

I think today's match have highlighted a lot of things we can improve upon and dispelled myths about Sanches' quality and James' pace tho

I said for a while christensen isnt ready, and people on the youth wagon go loopy, yes good player lots of potential but his abilities have been blown out of proportion, I know it's preseason but his performance reflected his season in Germany, decent, nothing awful nothing brilliant, can see his potential, people were arguing with me he could/should start this season, good young player but chelsea first team football this season, not a chance.

Weak links of last season showing in pre season, although overall they performed very well, VM and GC are not good enough technically no matter how hard they try, I think Rudiger has to replace Garry and we need a new rwb, or at least push Dave out to that position, to me 3-4-3 with garry and victor is a waste of a player, I'd rather just play 4 at the back with a good CB and play dave at RB, then we have the problem of alonso who wont work in a 4, too slow, gets beat too easily, in all cases we need a full back to offer us options, urgently 

Edited by DonAntonio

5 minutes ago, Deino said:

I think today's match have highlighted a lot of things we can improve upon and dispelled myths about Sanches' quality and James' pace tho

If they are selling sanches we should buy him, at his age he makes for a very solid back up and should become a top class CM in the future.

Hard to judge CHristsen on one performance, when the whole defence was all over the place. Cahill was the senior man in that back 3 and he should be the one who takes the most responsibility for the failings, as it's his job to guide the younger player.

1 minute ago, Ernie_blue said:

Chelsea missing Rudiger, Baka, Pedro, Hazard and including Costa and Matic which Chelsea haven't replaced yet. So there is a lot more to come yet. Still don't rate Willian as a first team player and never will.

Dunno about that mate, he has contributed importantly for chelsea, on his day he is brilliant, but I agree I'd probably like a better RF than him as a starting player in an ideal situation.

Poor first half performance much better after the break, still think we need to improve on the wing backs both got caught out time and time again today. Difficult to judge Christensen today but imo he should have been far more aggressive in that centre of the 3 look how much better we looked when Luiz came in.

Edited by dan_cfc

2 minutes ago, dan_cfc said:

Poor first half performance much better after the break, still think we need to improve on the wing backs both got caught out time and time again today. Difficult to judge Christensen today but imo he should have been far more aggressive in that centre of the 3 look how much better we looked when Luiz came in.

I think that's due to playing there for the first time. He hasn't played with Cahill and Azpi in a back 3 whereas Luiz had a season to develop a chemistry.

1 minute ago, DonAntonio said:

Dunno about that mate, he has contributed importantly for chelsea, on his day he is brilliant, but I agree I'd probably like a better RF than him as a starting player in an ideal situation.

I just find him very predictable. To me it's obvious he lacks creativity when on the pitch, I think he should use his assets and beat players and cross the ball. I very rarely see them brilliant days.

4 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

I just find him very predictable. To me it's obvious he lacks creativity when on the pitch, I think he should use his assets and beat players and cross the ball. I very rarely see them brilliant days.

He is very quick in the transition, when he plays he is a major part of the counter attack, Man city away for example. 

honestly, i would prefer to swap moses with azpi at rwb to give that a try, then put rudiger and christensen in alongside luiz, and play alonso at lwb. i think cahill needs to be phased out tbh, he's just pretty limited as a defender. 

48 minutes ago, DonAntonio said:

He is very quick in the transition, when he plays he is a major part of the counter attack, Man city away for example. 

The thing about Willian is he has everything to be world class except football IQ. It's tough seeing him slowing down before a fullback and only begins his dribbles after beating said fullback.

11 minutes ago, enigma said:

honestly, i would prefer to swap moses with azpi at rwb to give that a try, then put rudiger and christensen in alongside luiz, and play alonso at lwb. i think cahill needs to be phased out tbh, he's just pretty limited as a defender

100%. I'm not saying he's a terrible player but my God is the man living a charmed existence. I think he has always looked so much better because of the players and system around him. He is bench quality for us, shame he is going to be continuing on as captain, guess he will play most games in that circumstance.

In the first half, Bayern had three shots, scored three goals (including two speculators, where we gave them too much room).

The game overall was a bit meh. Not too worried about the result.

Just now, Zeta said:

Rotation option with Pedro/Willian/Hazard for one of the 2 spots.

Fair enough, I don't know much about James but I thought he was known for being much better as a central player unless I am thinking of someone else (very likely).

It's only pre season guys, with Bayern already played 5/6 more games than us, it's a pretty good result. Only our 2nd game and we managed to score 2 and only lose by 1 goal against a superior and fitter team.

We still have a few more weeks until the season starts, we'll be much fitter and raring to go by then.