Chelsea's past striker ratios

strider6004

Found this on bounderfriardale site and thought might start some interesting discussion.

Some personal insight, when supporting Chelsea I saw Dixon at his peak and then start to decline, I hoped before he left he would break Tambling's record and become  Chelsea's top scorer (remember pre-Lampard).

It was not to be though the goal striking ratios are interesting.

image.png.eda518c9243de2110734196cd6db46f2.png

On 24/08/2019 at 10:45, Strider6003 said:

Found this on bounderfriardale site and thought might start some interesting discussion.

Some personal insight, when supporting Chelsea I saw Dixon at his peak and then start to decline, I hoped before he left he would break Tambling's record and become  Chelsea's top scorer (remember pre-Lampard).

Nigh on a quarter of Lampard’s goals penalties

Just opened up MS Excel if we exclude penalties Hazard scores in 23.86% of matches whereas Lampard scores in 25% of matches.

At first glance appears Lampard was more productive though I would say during Lampard's time we had more goal threat so the jury for me is still out.

2 hours ago, drjonesy1994 said:

Hasselbaink at a goal every 2 games is impressive. It's a shame he moved on before we started winning titles. 

the one thing I noticed from JFH was how precise & clinical his shots were. It seemed to me when I watched JFH, every shot he took was on target & the keep had to be prepared or the ball was going into the back of the net.

14 hours ago, robdog said:

the one thing I noticed from JFH was how precise & clinical his shots were. It seemed to me when I watched JFH, every shot he took was on target & the keep had to be prepared or the ball was going into the back of the net.

Jimmy was a great striker. Will never forget the hat-trick against Spurs. The partnership he had with Eidur was brilliant.

28 minutes ago, Boyne said:

Jimmy was a great striker. Will never forget the hat-trick against Spurs. The partnership he had with Eidur was brilliant.

Agree a special partnership, for me Eidur was more a second striker than a number 9.

Together they were very effective. 

On 24/08/2019 at 10:45, Strider6003 said:

King Kerry, the ultimate centre forward, and on those sh*t pitches, every other week he had to play on the ploughed field which was the bridge.

Cheers for this info.

The state of the pitches and some of the tackling that was allowed in the past would have an effect.

Peter Osgood and Roy Bentley with 150 goals in 380 and 367 games respectively stand out.

Goodness knows how many Jimmy Greaves would have scored for us, if he'd stayed.

132 goals in 169 games ! 

Remember he left when he was basically a youngster, with the majority of his playing career ahead of him.

2 minutes ago, erskblue said:

Cheers for this info.

The state of the pitches and some of the tackling that was allowed in the past would have an effect.

Peter Osgood and Roy Bentley with 150 goals in 380 and 367 games respectively stand out.

Goodness knows how many Jimmy Greaves would have scored for us, if he'd stayed.

132 goals in 169 games ! 

Remember he left when he was basically a youngster, with the majority of his playing career ahead of him.

Agree and he went off to Italy rather than to one of our opponents.

I hear he was unlucky in 66 getting injured in the early rounds and then Geoff Hurst did well and the rest we know.

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

Agree and he went off to Italy rather than to one of our opponents.

I hear he was unlucky in 66 getting injured in the early rounds and then Geoff Hurst did well and the rest we know.

Jimmy Greaves and the ill-fated spell at AC Milan

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/08/28/jimmy-greaves-and-the-ill-fated-spell-at-ac-milan/

The above article is well worth a read.

Even though I have to admit (through gritted teeth :biggrin:) there's also something about another London club.

3 hours ago, chi blue said:

King Kerry, the ultimate centre forward, and on those sh*t pitches, every other week he had to play on the ploughed field which was the bridge.

As much as I loved Kerry Dixon to say he was the ultimate centre forward is stretching it a bit. Some games he was absolutely awful and as much as we all hate him  now Durie was technically better.

2 hours ago, erskblue said:

Jimmy Greaves and the ill-fated spell at AC Milan

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/08/28/jimmy-greaves-and-the-ill-fated-spell-at-ac-milan/

The above article is well worth a read.

Even though I have to admit (through gritted teeth :biggrin:) there's also something about another London club.

A women who I worked with once went out to lunch with Jimmy, said she enjoyed it as he had a GSOH. 

She was about my Mum's age. 

1 hour ago, bluehaze said:

As much as I loved Kerry Dixon to say he was the ultimate centre forward is stretching it a bit. Some games he was absolutely awful and as much as we all hate him  now Durie was technically better.

Durie never seemed as lucky to me, often going for the spectacular and hitting the cross bar rather than the tap-ins.

Behave! OK Kerry wasn't the ultimate centre forward, I'll give you that. But he was a far superior striker to Durie. That's like comparing Heskey to Drogba.

And if you disagree you'll have@just stalking you.

29 minutes ago, loz said:

Behave! OK Kerry wasn't the ultimate centre forward, I'll give you that. But he was a far superior striker to Durie. That's like comparing Heskey to Drogba.

And if you disagree you'll have@just stalking you.

Dixon could look really clumsy at times and there were times when shall we say he wasn't universally popular and was almost border line boo-boy.  I stand by that technically Durie was better he wasn't an out and out goalscorer that Kerry was.

Archived