9 hours ago, mwblue10 said:

I think we could afford it, but it would likely end our spending for this window.

Most likely, unless we can sell off Kepa and some other useless players to raise funds.

I mean we could easily sell a couple to be able to afford Tagliafico who will only cost around 20-25m.

The main issue would be trying to get a CB, but we will really need to work hard in offloading quite a lot to be able to afford a top CB

1 minute ago, dansubrosa said:

Sign Oblak, raise funds from player sales and then sign a left back late in the window?

Precisely. We may use up all our budget that we have allocated, but the money we can raise from player sales is still quite high and we can use that to be able to buy a LB and CB

Ngl i don't really want Oblak. He looks good but he's playing in a super defensive team where the defence can soak up a lot of the pressure. 

I'd rather go all out for Ter Stegan as Barca play a lot more open football. Not to mention the fact that we seem to be hoarding German's at the moment. 

• 2 weeks later...

From Oblaks AS interview

There’s been talk in England of Chelsea’s interest…

It’s not the time to talk about that, right now we’ve got Leipzig to think about. I’ll assess the season when it’s over and hopefully we’ve got three games left. There’ll be time after that to talk.

You can take this either way, but he wasn't very clear he was staying so....  obviously he's got his heart set on Chelsea.  Come on Roman we know you like splashing out on Goalkeepers.

I guess the way I look at his comment is this... if his preference and desire was to stay then it’s quick and easy to say that, and everything goes away. But saying he will address it later, that means there is something more to be said, but he doesn’t want to distract his team, otherwise why not just say they are rumors and he is happy where he is at and focused on the task at hand.

now... all of that being said, how in the world do you pay for this dude with all the other signings we are looking at and the albatross that is Kepa’s contract hanging over you. I just don’t see how it gets done along with Havertz and some of the other signings that are rumored.

I was listening to a podcast today that had Matt Law on and his belief was that Chelsea has two lists of keepers, on list of names for if they manage to sell Kepa, and one for if they can’t move Kepa. If they can sell Kepa they could go for a big name keeper like Oblak.

Edited by HOUCHELFAN
On 15/07/2020 at 19:37, abramovich said:

The only way for us to land Oblak is to pay his buy out fee, rumoured to be 120m and for him to actually ask for the move. If there's a clause in his contract then Atletico would have no other choice.

Unless there are some financial problems at Atletico I haven't heard about, any other ideas about us offering them an exchange in a form of Kepa + money are laughable and not worth discussing.

I always try to put myself in the position of the other club and wonder what my stance would be. Would you swap world's best keeper for Kepa plus cash? Would anyone in their right mind?

It is asking them to swap one of the best keepers in the world last season, for literally the worst

Edited by SydneyChelsea

5 hours ago, HOUCHELFAN said:

I guess the way I look at his comment is this... if his preference and desire was to stay then it’s quick and easy to say that, and everything goes away. But saying he will address it later, that means there is something more to be said, but he doesn’t want to distract his team, otherwise why not just say they are rumors and he is happy where he is at and focused on the task at hand.

now... all of that being said, how in the world do you pay for this dude with all the other signings we are looking at and the albatross that is Kepa’s contract hanging over you. I just don’t see how it gets done along with Havertz and some of the other signings that are rumored.

I was listening to a podcast today that had Matt Law on and his belief was that Chelsea has two lists of keepers, on list of names for if they manage to sell Kepa, and one for if they can’t move Kepa. If they can sell Kepa they could go for a big name keeper like Oblak.

Or maybe Oblak is just using our interest to get an improved contract out of his current employers, that's always a possibility.

As for Matt Law and his two lists of keepers, being a sports journo must be one of the easiest jobs out there. No matter what you write regarding transfer rumours people will be ready and willing to consume it. I seriously doubt there's a single journo out there who has legit sources inside Chelsea hierarchy but I also understand that everyone has to make a living.