Marc Guehi return?

NestorGarde
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

4 minutes ago, Dr. Socrates said:

How does this work with our first refusal and 20 per cent sell on fee? Does another club have to have a bid accepted by Palace and then we can decide whether we want him at that price minus 20 per cent? 

Pretty much, i guess legally speaking we'll pay the money then Palace will be obliged to give us 20% back straight off the bat.

4 minutes ago, The Rising Sun said:

Right side I think .

Sold him for £18million

Palace want £50million, I'm not sure about us getting the sell on percentage of sale though, that would mean we get £10 million back ?

So would he, in effect, cost us 40m-18m. So 22m? Roughly what we’d sell Chalobah for? 

Not seeing this. Re-signing a player that we deemed surplus to requirements what 2 years ago for almost treble what we sold him for, gross of any sell on kick back, seems a bit pointless especially as I personally don't see him as an upgrade on Chalobah.  If we are saying that Trev might not be the longer term answer, then surely we need to get an upgrade. This is an area where we have enough players with "potential". We need a senior pro, along with Silva to instill confidence and mentor the younger players. 

I think this recruitment team need to also demonstrate that they are capable of trading with the big boys and getting marquee signings. Paying 20m for 18 year old kids from inferior leagues that nobody else is competing for is one thing, and of course there could be some real gems in there, but this cannot be the only strategy. Nkunku was a promising start of signing an elite player, I think this needs to happen here now as well.

EDIT: I'll add to this. I put elsewhere that I'd have Upamecano out of Bayern if possible. Granted he's only 24 and Guehi is 23, but he's got about 170 bundesliga appearances and 15 senior caps for France. If Guehi is 50m, this guy has to be better value. Yes he had a mare against Man City in the CL and had a horror show, but that doesn't define a career. Bayern have just signed Min-Jae, if we went in properly and swiftly, I think Upamecano could possibly be gotten out if there.

Edited by WhiteWall

59 minutes ago, WhiteWall said:

Not seeing this. Re-signing a player that we deemed surplus to requirements what 2 years ago for almost treble what we sold him for, gross of any sell on kick back, seems a bit pointless especially as I personally don't see him as an upgrade on Chalobah.  If we are saying that Trev might not be the longer term answer, then surely we need to get an upgrade. This is an area where we have enough players with "potential". We need a senior pro, along with Silva to instill confidence and mentor the younger players. 

I think this recruitment team need to also demonstrate that they are capable of trading with the big boys and getting marquee signings. Paying 20m for 18 year old kids from inferior leagues that nobody else is competing for is one thing, and of course there could be some real gems in there, but this cannot be the only strategy. Nkunku was a promising start of signing an elite player, I think this needs to happen here now as well.

EDIT: I'll add to this. I put elsewhere that I'd have Upamecano out of Bayern if possible. Granted he's only 24 and Guehi is 23, but he's got about 170 bundesliga appearances and 15 senior caps for France. If Guehi is 50m, this guy has to be better value. Yes he had a mare against Man City in the CL and had a horror show, but that doesn't define a career. Bayern have just signed Min-Jae, if we went in properly and swiftly, I think Upamecano could possibly be gotten out if there.

Even if we saw him as surplus we have a totally different board and manager now, not one person involved in the decision to let him leave would be involved in bringing him back (if it happens).

And I couldn't disagree more with Upamecano, if there's ever a Maguire regen he's it.

1 hour ago, Argo said:

Even if we saw him as surplus we have a totally different board and manager now, not one person involved in the decision to let him leave would be involved in bringing him back (if it happens).

And I couldn't disagree more with Upamecano, if there's ever a Maguire regen he's it.

Well said.. wouldn’t touch Upamecano, it wasn’t only the City game. He has mistakes all over him, and like you said just another Maguire.

I don’t understand the problem some fans have with Guehi, maybe because the Club sold him for £20m 2 seasons ago, & Palace are now demanding £50m (effectively £40m). That is on the club for being shortsighted. We are missing leaders, and a bit light on homegrown players. I also remember Arsenal spending £50m on Ben White on loan at Championship Leeds at that time.

P.S. Wouldn’t be selling Chalobah though, Silva scares me in a back 4.

7 hours ago, Argo said:

Okay, so it doesn't have to be Upamecano, but we need someone in there with some experience and leadership qualities. 

As great as Silva is, he wasn't brilliant in a back 4 at his age and will also need his minutes managed. James and Chilwell are likely to get injured during the season.  Chalobah, Colwill, Badiashile,  Gusto, Hall, Maatsen, Cucu, and then add Guehi. I just don't see any experience in there to deal with the strength, speed and craft of some of the top attackers in this league.

If we are looking at a resurgence then surely we need a strong, communicative leader at the back.

4 hours ago, WhiteWall said:

Okay, so it doesn't have to be Upamecano, but we need someone in there with some experience and leadership qualities. 

As great as Silva is, he wasn't brilliant in a back 4 at his age and will also need his minutes managed. James and Chilwell are likely to get injured during the season.  Chalobah, Colwill, Badiashile,  Gusto, Hall, Maatsen, Cucu, and then add Guehi. I just don't see any experience in there to deal with the strength, speed and craft of some of the top attackers in this league.

If we are looking at a resurgence then surely we need a strong, communicative leader at the back.

Despite being reasonably young he has got leadership qualities and was given the Palace armband on multiple occasions.

If we're going to insist on sticking below a certain age when it comes to signings he's as good as there is.

On 20/07/2023 at 10:21, ducavis said:

Well said.. wouldn’t touch Upamecano, it wasn’t only the City game. He has mistakes all over him, and like you said just another Maguire.

I don’t understand the problem some fans have with Guehi, maybe because the Club sold him for £20m 2 seasons ago, & Palace are now demanding £50m (effectively £40m). That is on the club for being shortsighted. We are missing leaders, and a bit light on homegrown players. I also remember Arsenal spending £50m on Ben White on loan at Championship Leeds at that time.

P.S. Wouldn’t be selling Chalobah though, Silva scares me in a back 4.

I'd be in to get Guehi back. Think he would fit in really well with this team. Just the right personality from what I've seen to build a top team. We do need another central defender with Fofana gone for the season, Silva too old now for a premier league campaign, no guarantee Badiashile won't do his hammy again. According to wikipedia, that great source, we have a right to match any offer and earn sell on money, so that puts us in a good position. He is 23, 6 foot and has a good season in the premier league. For sure I'd be in favour.

Edited by ozboy

8 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

Guehi is excellent in the air. Badiashile is the best of a weak bunch amongst our current CBs.

Not that Guehi is necessarily is bad in the air; but that statement is simply not true. Thiago Silva is excellent in the air despite his height. 
- Last season Guehi had a worse "Won % of Aerial Duels" than all our current defenders except 1.92m Chalobah. 

image.thumb.png.dbdd0b4c608dabff8a6f45d64b7d57e9.png

• 4 months later...

2 hours ago, dermott said:

No buy-back clause but the right to match a third-party bid and have it accepted.

Different days when he was sold unfortunately.

Does Guehi have a say in this? If so, why would he agree to come back? He'll wa t to step up from Palace and unfortunately, we're hardly an enticing prospect.