Aston Villa vs Chelsea (PL) Sat 27th Apr 24 20:00 GMT

Chelsea Megastore
Chelsea Megastore

Chelsea Megastore

Having watched the replays of the incident a bit longer than Pawson looked last night, I'm not totally sure it's a clear and obvious error. I do think that the defender knows what he is doing. Looks to me to be sufficient doubt either way for the on field decision to stand, but we all know when they go to the screen the refs bottle it.

8 hours ago, axman2526 said:

The application of VAR is a huge part of why I just don't watch football live anymore. 

I know we used to have those 5 to 10 seconds we thought we scored a late goal only for the lino to flag and be hit with that disappointment. Now though for them to check everything, take their sweet time checking it, look for a reason to disallow something they want to disallow and find something to give a pen for nothing because they want to.

It takes the joy out of watching the game. I cannot celebrate almost any goal cause I have to wait for the game to be full restarted and even then there is still a wonder of "is it good".

Is joyless. 

The technology us great, the people using it are worse than the refs we had before making mistakes.

I felt nothing when Disasi scored. Didn’t celebrate, didn’t make a sound, didn’t react at all. All because I know there will be three-four minutes (at least) of VAR- checks. It doesn’t help that the people using it are clueless, but even if they were perfect the explosion of emotion in the moment is gone - which for me is what the game is about

I appreciate that not everyone feels the way I do about it, but the game was gone the moment VAR was introduced

I have seen that "foul" 50 times and it is not a foul. The ref has a perfect view of that and he lets it go. Then VAR sends him to screen which means the ref is in a bad spot. Easier for him is to turn the decision around because VAR refs have informed him. 

Look at Van Dijk. He does that 'foul' ten times per game. Big man, intelligent push move on. 

VAR f**ked us over here and at Wembley. 

1 hour ago, AndyDowsleftflank said:

I felt nothing when Disasi scored. Didn’t celebrate, didn’t make a sound, didn’t react at all. All because I know there will be three-four minutes (at least) of VAR- checks. It doesn’t help that the people using it are clueless, but even if they were perfect the explosion of emotion in the moment is gone - which for me is what the game is about

I appreciate that not everyone feels the way I do about it, but the game was gone the moment VAR was introduced

I'm exactly the same. 

VAR has taken too much out of the game and doesn't bring enough in to justify it continuing.

You only have to see the comments on our game yesterday from Villa fans alone to know we got robbed. There own fans have said the decision was poor and compare the upvotes to the downvotes. https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68862601

Look at Trossard's goal against Wolves last week. Wolves wanted a foul as Jesus nudged player in the back, however as foul was not given in normal time, VAR did not intervene which is correct. Same should have been done yesterday. This VAR is total bullsh*t. Not a fan of it. I feel the people sitting in their little lobby making decisions have their own agenda. Does that goal get ruled out if it is the other way? Never...

Don't really trust the lines thing as well. Think it is too inconsistent and on another day that Jackson offside is ruled on side.

I would like to see them expand "clear and obvious" to include offsides. Granted that is still subjective, but it would surely eliminate all these toenail offsides that they seem to delight in using as reasons to disallow goals (when it suits them).

If you need to draw lines then it's not clear and obvious ... 

And if any VAR decision takes more than a minute to decide either way then again it is not "clear and obvious". 

The technology is useful but it's the application/process and the people that need work ... 

^^If you want to see how incompetent they are when drawing offside lines, have a watch of this video, from the 4-1 win at Tottenham before Christmas. Absolutely farcical. They literally move the lines to make Jackson appear offside so the can disallow Caicedo's goal. Not only that, they spend a millisecond choosing the point at which they freeze the action, and clearly get that wrong. They freeze it when the ball has left the foot, not when it makes contact. 

image.jpeg.c40b547a076ca5d345f2de603988adc8.jpeg

This the frame they should have used, which does not showJackson to be beyond the lastdefender:

image.jpeg.71d56b5b83e78da87b729d6e6a7f6734.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Stas1 said:

Arsenal just scored against Spuds and the arse player pushed the spurs player in the back in a very similar manner, and no VAR review. Go figure, rules are made and applied on the go between sips of tea and biscuit dunking.

Yup. They just try to avoid tricky situations. If Saka didn't score I think they'd call that to the screen. English football refs are the weakest f**kin human specimen I have witnessed.

Tottenham has similar problems than us. They feel defending is something they just need to do during a game. Attacking is why they are there. Arsenal here are compact and comfortable defending and they don't mind doing it. 

9 hours ago, ozboy said:

You and I are different. I enjoy the football more than ever and I m glad that on average games have more correct decisions now as opposed to “hand of. God”.  I only wish I was young enough to keep playing the kick around games I enjoyed most of my life. I still go regularly to sydney fc games even away games sometimes and wish I could be as season ticket holder at Stamford bridge. Of course one can find reasons to complain bi[ut football remains one of life’s great pleasures. 

Happy for you Oz.

12 hours ago, Gordon Bennett said:

VAR can't even get the offside lines right. When they ruled out the winning Coventry goal in the cup semi they drew the line over Wan Bissaka's foot.

It's absolutely broken.

IMG_20240428_113649.jpg

Yes. That was one of the worst ones I have seen given the circumstances. That decision ruined what would have been one of the greatest comebacks ever, over a technicality that nobody in the stadium saw. And when you see the close up it looks even clearer that they probably fixed that call.

19 hours ago, forbzy said:

Yes. That was one of the worst ones I have seen given the circumstances. That decision ruined what would have been one of the greatest comebacks ever, over a technicality that nobody in the stadium saw. And when you see the close up it looks even clearer that they probably fixed that call.

What sells more tickets? Man city vs Coventry or Man city vs Man utd 

VAR is beyond a joke and seems some refs have been given brown envelopes to favour certain teams (man city and Michael oliver) 

2 hours ago, Conte said:

What sells more tickets? Man city vs Coventry or Man city vs Man utd 

VAR is beyond a joke and seems some refs have been given brown envelopes to favour certain teams (man city and Michael oliver) 

Sadly true. Dare I say it was Chelsea v. Coventry or City v. United, given the poor officiating in our game too.