Drogba replaces Zola as greatest player ever

The Brit

results of vote in chelsea official magazine are in (as I got my copy this morning) and the big man is No.1...not surprised after Munich...so many worthy names could of got top spot...

Here is the top 10:

1) Didier

2) Lamps

3) Zola

4) JT

5) Ossie

6) Big Pete

7) Charlie Cooke

8) Wisey

9) Kerry Dixon

10) Jimmy Greaves

Bizarrely also included in top 100 were Malouda, Babayaro, Kalou, Torres to name just a few...assume they struggled to make up the numbers!

Also Ballack got voted ahead of Ashley Cole and Makelele in the top 20, not sure about that

Edited by The Brit

results of vote in chelsea official magazine are in (as I got my copy this morning) and the big man is No.1...not surprised after Munich...so many worthy names could of got top spot...

Here is the top 10:

1) Didier

2) Lamps

3) Zola

4) JT

5) Ossie

6) Big Pete

7) Charlie Cooke

8) Wisey

9) Kerry Dixon

10) Jimmy Greaves

Looks good to me.

The problem is Zola played in a good chelsea team but not quite a great one, he would defiantly play in this Chelsea team or any team I have ever seen at his best. And if he had been in any of the league winning teams or the CL team last year I don't think there would actually be any competition. Zola at his sparkling best was better then cole, duff and argubaly robben, he's certainly better then 3 Matta, Hazzard and oscar IMO and thats doing them no injustice, its more to demonstrate what I think of the little man, as all 3 are ammazing players and are young enough to go on to take this award them selves.

As i said if you consider some of the supporting cast, Sincalre, Newton sorry to say it as much as we loved him dennis wise is not on the same level as lamps. Minto... you would even have to ask if the likes of poyet, and RDM him self would have got in to the chelsea team of the last 7 years. He had good players around him, but perhaps not that many great in there prime players.

Having written all that, nostalga is getting hold of me and i keep thinking about Flo, Vialli, Sparky... oh who actually knows

The thing is that since Chelsea was taken over by Roman we have gained so many new fans that many of the people voting would never have seen Zola playing. Or for that matter a number of players that are further down the list than they should be. Zola still number one in my eyes, if it wasn't for him and what that team in the 90's did we would never be where we are today.

Some very strange choices in the list! Baba, Mikel and words fail me - Torres!

Ballack at no 11 seems charitably high, and as much as we love him I'm not so sure Mata has done enough yet to be considered our 15th best ever player.

Guess its hard to argue with Drogba but my vote is the same as it was the last time the club did something like this (2003) - the little man.

Isn't Roman Jewish? and we had a Jewish manager.

Well the press are always saying JT runs the club which would include hiring/firing the Manager so that would tie in with that.

No wonder Anelka was sold, JT obviously instructed the club to banish & sell him because of his Muslim faith.

Meh, wrong tread to hijack - I'll post JT rantings elsewhere.

Well the press are always saying JT runs the club which would include hiring/firing the Manager so that would tie in with that.

No wonder Anelka was sold, JT obviously instructed the club to banish & sell him because of his Muslim faith.

Meh, wrong tread to hijack - I'll post JT rantings elsewhere.

Didn't JT also force Winston Bogarde to sit on the bench because he was black?

No, Mourinho was sacked after he insisted on bringing a Jewish player (Ben Haim) to the club. Look at Benayoun as well, plays for two games, gets a mysterious season-ending injury and is then loaned out for two years. Conspiracy? Clearly.

Considering he almost single handedly delivered us the greatest moment and achievement in the history of our club, it's only fair.

If he'd done this 20 years ago i'm sure everyone would agree, but because it's so recent, older fans feel older players are more deserving.

Not anything against Zola though, great player and great man.

Considering he almost single handedly delivered us the greatest moment and achievement in the history of our club, it's only fair.

If he'd done this 20 years ago i'm sure everyone would agree, but because it's so recent, older fans feel older players are more deserving.

Not anything against Zola though, great player and great man.

Drogba's header in the final in my opinion is the most iconic moment in the clubs history. However this alone does not make you the greatest player in the clubs history. There is no doubt that he is definitely up there but I think voting for this shouldn't happen so recently after the CL final so there can be a bit of perspective on it. So in a few years we can rate it a bit more objectively

He certainly didn't deliver the CL to us single-handedly, there were spectacular performances from many players in our team that day especially the back four and big Petr in goal.

Drogba had several amazing seasons and I think its these that have to be taken into account when handing out an accolade such as this rather than putting it down to one moment. That was the cherry on the cake but his legacy was forged from seasons like 06/07 and 09/10 when he was simply unplayable.

I have both Zola and Lamps ahead of him personally

Edited by sals