what's your set up?

dkw
Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

I was wondering what people's home entertainment set up was. I have a Samsung smart tv, got a blu ray and all set up through a wireless router with a nas drive. Just got a new Samsung tablet which means I can download films and music to my nas and watch it over WiFi on anything. Also just found torrents for android so can "find" films and download to my tablet to send to my tv to watch, which is pretty cool

Edited by dkw

I usually download torrents onto my NAS which streams over wifi to the TVs in the house. We don't have any smart TVs though, upstairs I'm using a PS3 to stream through, and downstairs I've set up a Raspberry Pi with XBMC connected to the TV. We have a couple of DVD players knocking about but they've been gathering dust since getting the NAS.

...and I haven't the faintest idea what you lot are talking about! Feel very old and very stupid!

P.S. except Chippy's - I understand that perfectly!

Edited by moi

I was wondering what people's home entertainment set up was. I have a Samsung smart tv, got a blu ray and all set up through a wireless router with a nas drive. Just got a new Samsung tablet which means I can download films and music to my nas and watch it over WiFi on anything. Also just found torrents for android so can "find" films and download to my tablet to send to my tv to watch, which is pretty cool

I have a TV with an Xbox under it, more than I'll ever need.

Are you a fan of The Boondock Saints or does that poster belong to somebody else?

Oh and was it you who once said on here that you're from Florida? I might be confusing you with another person on the board.

It's my roommate's poster, but I enjoy the movie too.

And yeah, I live in Florida. I'm from Germany but I came here for uni.

Here's my basic setup while I'm here overseas...

LG 50" Plasma 720p TV

Onkyo TX-NR609 Receiver

Definitive Technology Mythos Gem 5.1

PS3 (original 80GB that can play PS2 games)

Acer Revo NetTop for streaming

Synology NAS for my movies/shows storage

Gig D-link switch

I have a 55" Samsung 1080p LED tv in storage waiting for my arrival back home (oh God how I miss that TV). I will be getting a new receiver once I get home.

In the master bedroom, I have a 52" Sony XBR5 and another Acer Revo NetTop for streaming. Fast Ethernet wireless switch installed. Both kids have laptops and FE switches for streaming and gaming. Son has a 32" Sony. My little girl has a 26" Vizio.

I use XBMC exclusively for streaming.

If I went into my network/wireless setup, it would be a lengthy post.

Edited by Arq

Tempted to get a raspberry Pi myself, was it difficult to setup? I've not really got much experience with Linux.

It's really not hard to set up, you basically just have to write the OS to an SD card and plug it in. It's quite fussy over power supplies though so it's important to buy a recommended one. Getting wifi working can be a bit hit and miss, but it helps a lot to make sure the USB dongle is a model that's known to be compatible (as with all peripherals), but there's loads of information about that on the net.

You don't even need to use Linux if you just want to run XBMC. If you want to do other things then I'd say that any body who has used any kind of Windows/Apple computer will have no trouble getting used to Linux, the recommended OS ("Raspian") has a user interface similar to a light-weight Windows XP.

The software is mostly still beta quality though so things can still stop working from time to time, especially after updates, so for this reason I usually try new software versions on a spare SD before replacing the current working version.

Samsung 32", Samsung Blu ray player and sony surround sound. 2TB Harddrive connected to the bluray player to play all my downloaded stuff. What more could I ask for?

That along with Sky Sports is all I need.

Not much to scream about but it does me nicely!

My room as I still live at home, should move out this spring though!

32" Samsung TV

Xbox 360

HD Box (Sports in HD a must!)

Custom built PC, 27" Samsung monitor

KRK Studio Speakers for the PC, external sound card and some other fun stuff.

Acer Iconia Tablet + Netflix = Everything you need!

Can't wait to setup my own living room though.

That does sound pretty bad ass! I have a tv with Sky hd, a ps3 and a xbox 360.

I can control my sky from my iphone which is cool.

55" Samsung (I see a trend here) HD LED TV

Sony PS3

Sony DVD

Dell Laptop (looking to change soon)

iPad wi-fi only

Cisco Home router

Usually at the weekend I'll have One game on the TV, one on the Laptop, and something running on the iPad also.

Anyone got any input about wired v wireless surround sound?

55" Samsung (I see a trend here) HD LED TV

Sony PS3

Sony DVD

Dell Laptop (looking to change soon)

iPad wi-fi only

Cisco Home router

Usually at the weekend I'll have One game on the TV, one on the Laptop, and something running on the iPad also.

Anyone got any input about wired v wireless surround sound?

Wireless is prone to changes in quality depending on environmental changes.

If your phone reception is average at home, i'd strongly suggest a wired connection. If you want to connect things around the home over long distances however, wireless is a great substitute.