Mata & Hazard vs. Robben & Duff

Castiel

Mata & Hazard vs. Robben & Duff  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Mata & Hazard or Robben & Duff?

• Mata & Hazard
    • Robben & Duff

Bit bored and I thought it'd be interesting to hear opinions.  I realise this undersells Oscar and Moses quite a bit, but I feel that Hazard and Mata are our creative driving force this season more than any other - as Robben and Duff once were.  

6371-003esp-mata.jpg           1411-004bel-eden-hazard.jpg           

vs.

Arjen-Robben-Chelsea.jpg           mourinho-ung-ho-damien.jpg

I was going to post statistics but given the discrepancy between time played, they become more meaningless than usual.  So it becomes a subjective discussion.  

hard to judge because duff and robben were in a better XI...but I'd say the way they played, particularly between 2004-6, was pretty much unstoppable...hazard and to a lesser degree mata are a bit more inconsistent...plus i'm not sure they are genuine widemen like duff and robben were

Guest RFC_CFC

Hmmm.

Robben and Duff were more dynamic wingers while Mata and Hazard are  best as attacking midfielders imo, bit different.

Mata imo is the best out the lot of them and hopefully as time goes on he and Hazard will create a partnership as devestating as Robben and Duff had at one point.

I still daydream about that Barcelona game when Duff destroyed them straight from kick off!

Quite a hard one to call, Robben & Duff in their prime were probably more effective but they played in a far more effective and well balanced team.

Robben on his day was a frightening attacking player however all things considered I would say Juan Mata is the pick out of all of them (starting to think he rivals any player I have seen wearing our shirt, just oozes class) and Hazard is still very young with bags of potential considering this is his first season.

Mata & Hazard probably edge it for me when considering the potential there.

Mata & Robben would probably be the current strongest combination out of the 4 players though.

Yes Mata and Hazard aren't used in the same way as their predecessors, but most of our best attacking work comes through them.  They have that common ground, even if they're not directly comparable (as its comparing wingers to attacking midfielders).

Robben and Duff were dynamite at the start but it didnt last long. I think history has (blue) tinted the view of them as a pair and how long they played together, in fact i i think the number of games they actually played together will surprise people. Generally the period we talk about is Oct94  through to Jan95 where  they were practically unplayable.

Lets also not forget that the formation they played in was stumbled on pretty much by accident by Mourinho, it was only really due to the fitness and form of Drogba they played together like they did, i doubt it weas his original plane.  When they played together and had their more memorable games i seem to recall it was Gudjohnsen who played up top. I also recall the form of Lampard during this period was utterely magnificent.

Mata and Hazard ? oTo early to say but the potential is there for them to evolve into something very special, though as has already been pointed out you cant really compare them to Robben and Duff.

Much as I loved Duffer I think Bjd's assessment above is absolutely spot on. The period when they were really on song together didn't last too long. 

As lons as nonone tries to turn Hazard in an auxiliary left full (stay away Jose!) I would have hopes that Mata and Hazard could destroy defences for many years to come. 

On his day Robben was almost unplayable. I remember sitting in the Foolham end (surrounded by Foolham fans I know), when he took them apart in Jose's first season. It was a joy to watch.

However Mata is better than all of them. Hazard has the potential, but much like Joe Cole, he drifts in & out of games. If he get that side of his game sorted he will be a special player.

I think if Mata stays with us for most of his career, he will be one of or best ever players. Dragged us through last season and now has a telepathic understanding with Hazard and Oscar. Absolutely no contest for me, and like a few have already said, I can't remember Duff and Robben's partnership being that prolific. Quality players when we had them, nonetheless.  

Mata has that typical small spanish player, with superb twinkling, inventive feet, where as Hazard is off the cuff, Mesmerising, and mercurial feet with speed to burn, very like Robben, i am not sure who i would pick, except imagine the 3 amigos but Robben instead of oscar!

i think hazard is a much more complete player than robben. i dare say, mata (let alone robben) doesnt have the vision that hazard does. hazard sometimes plays like he has eyes on the back of his head. just look at his assist against man u in the COC: he knows rambo made a run to the box, but hes not looking at him for a while before making the pass. there was also the 1st goal against stoke, azpi makes a run from the middle of the pitch and youre there thinking hazard is completely oblivious to him but he still puts him through with a perfect little pass. also the backheel to torres for torres goal against newcastle, hes not looking at torres at all, he just reads the game so well, and its very hard to defend against such a thing

i remember people creaming over ronaldinho, and his 'blind' passing, but hazard is taking it to another level. its not just the goals i mentioned, so many times he gets into 'blind alleys' with his head down, and somehow manages to pick out a teammate that even i didnt see

also what puts hazard ahead of robben is his use of his weaker foot. robben is painfully one footed, but hazard, as weve seen, is quite able with his left

i think hazard is a much more complete player than robben. i dare say, mata (let alone robben) doesnt have the vision that hazard does. hazard sometimes plays like he has eyes on the back of his head. just look at his assist against man u in the COC: he knows rambo made a run to the box, but hes not looking at him for a while before making the pass. there was also the 1st goal against stoke, azpi makes a run from the middle of the pitch and youre there thinking hazard is completely oblivious to him but he still puts him through with a perfect little pass. also the backheel to torres for torres goal against newcastle, hes not looking at torres at all, he just reads the game so well, and its very hard to defend against such a thing

i remember people creaming over ronaldinho, and his 'blind' passing, but hazard is taking it to another level. its not just the goals i mentioned, so many times he gets into 'blind alleys' with his head down, and somehow manages to pick out a teammate that even i didnt see

also what puts hazard ahead of robben is his use of his weaker foot. robben is painfully one footed, but hazard, as weve seen, is quite able with his left

I agree, I've been impressed on many occasions how well he's able to pick out a killer pass using just his periphery vision, making it very difficult for defenders to anticipate what he's going to do. The best thing is, I don't think we've seen anything like the best of him yet.

Very short lived as it was I still think that Robben and Duff were the best thing I have seen on a football pitch with Robben while he got playing time for us was simply stunning.

If Mata and Hazard get anywhere near this standard I would be delighted however I would take Mata and Hazard for say 5 more seasons over the few months of Robben and Duff again

I'd say if you're looking at the effectiveness as out and out wingers, i'd rank them as so:

Robben

Hazard

Duff

Mata

That being said, I don't think Mata is a winger, he's not fast enough and his play making talent is wasted out on the wing.

If we're talking about talent as a footballer in general, i'd say:

Robben

Mata

Hazard

Duff

Robben was truly magical when he wasn't injured and I was quite devastated when he left, and the fact he's gone on to have a great career with probably the two biggest teams on the continent show how class he is. That being said, I ranked Robben higher than Hazard or Mata because the pair of them haven't yet proven they are better than him, but I do think they will over time considering this is only their first/second seasons at the club. I loved Duff and actually have his name on the back of one of my old shirts, he was very good on that wing and knew what he was doing, but talent wise i don't think he's in the same league as the other 3.

Voted for Mata and Hazard because I think they'll go on to have far better careers than Robben had.

Archived