Branislav Ivanovic - Your Views?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

What position was he signed for?ok then let's put Ashley Cole in center back see how he gets on. Have you ever played football as a matter of interest?

What a peculiar argument. Ashley Cole has never played the position and certainly doesn't have the proper skill set for it. Ivanovic isn't your prototypical fullback, but we're hardly sticking a square peg in a round hole. 

As for what position he was signed for, I recall him being touted for his utility. He could play as a CB, FB or even DM. It wasn't exactly clear which position we wanted him for, but it quickly became apparent which position he was best at.

And yes, I have played football, even though that is completely immaterial to the discussion. 

You never answered my last question? Is micah tall then Ivan? If I thought he wasn't as tall.

Ivanovic is slightly taller, whilst Richards is clearly more muscular. If you're really going to tell me that Richards doesn't count because he's an inch or two shorter than Ivanovic, then you're being silly. You asked for an example and I gave you one. 

Micah Richards. Christ that was easy.

Sorry I never saw the other post. Well in my experience playing football at full back it was always better to have a slender full back so he won't get turned as easy that's all I'm saying. Was just having a chat about out number two but I'm going to say night because you come across as a bit of a Im right your wrong kind of guy,so I'd be wasting my time.

Sorry I never saw the other post. Well in my experience playing football at full back it was always better to have a slender full back so he won't get turned as easy that's all I'm saying. Was just having a chat about out number two but I'm going to say night because you come across as a bit of a Im right your wrong kind of guy,so I'd be wasting my time.

Generally when people express their opinions, they do believe that said opinions are correct. Otherwise they'd be a politician.

You keep talking about what a prototypical fullback looks like and I'm not disagreeing with you on that. There's a reason that fullbacks generally resemble a specific archetype. Where we disagree is that you seem to think anybody outside of said archetype can't play fullback effective. In that case, please explain why Ivan was so utterly fantastic at the position last year.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say I'm a little worried for the lack of playing time of Branna. He is one of the best players we've had recent years and he isn't playing under Rafa.

Dave's been very good and he deserves to play but Ivan needs to play of he will get stolen from us. He's won everything with us so if he is not playing he might look for a new address.

He is such a gifted footballer every big team would love to have him.

I'd hate to see him go. Rafa needs to include him in the rotation.

Ivanovic on form is still one of the best defenders at the club. hes had a terrible season, but who hasnt in our back four? cole is reliable as ever, but luiz, terry and especially cahill have all had poor seasons really. ivanovic is probably our biggest aeral threat other than JT, he can finish (as proven by his goals early in the season) and knows how and when to get forward and support the attacks. top full back IMO

had a bad season, but I think he's much better at right back. Very powerful & gets the cross in early. I don't think his crossing is bad either. I really like Azpi though, but his main weakness is his delivery.

I only just picked up on this thread, find it incredible really. Yes by his standards the season not been great but he is axactly the sort fo defender that a modern manager should love, versitle and gets the occasional important goal. and he has a few years loyal service to Cheslea behind him with a pretty solid and professional perfomances in all seasons. He will recover his form, but we need to keep him because looking at the other defences of the top teams in the Prem and Europe they would snap up Brana without hesitation

Rafa wont be he past May so even if Brana was out of favour right now it will only be till May. Just because he has won everything with us doesnt mean he would be looking to leave. Who would he leave for? Barca, Mardrid are the only team i would say have a bigger pull than us right now and i cant see either of them going in for him.

Ivanovic has been a very good player for us since he joined. He's been arguably the best RB in the league and can do a job at CB.

Having said that, I think Azpilicueta has usurped him as our first choice RB. And I think its a toss up between him, Cahill and Luiz as to who should play alongside JT. He's 29 and has definitely got a couple of seasons left in him. But I think they may be as back up, or rotation at best.

Azpi's done well and I'm glad because if he didn't we'd blame Rafa for not playing Ivan as they are both spaniards. Nothing wrong with blaming Rafa though...

Ivan is better crosser but Dave has an incredible ability to run his lane with great energy for the whole 90mins. For the games where we have most possession Dave is better but in games the opponent attack us Ivan has his strenghts.

We have a great competition for that spot which is brilliant but the fact Branna's done it all with us he might want to leave if he doesn't get to play.

We'd never get the money we wanted for him and he would get massive competition from big teams. ManU would take him among others.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water! He is a great defender on his day and has just had a poor season.   I actually think, this season aside, he has been one of the best defenders at the club since he joined.  Not in form to be in the starting 11 at the moment but could probably be the best utility defender squad player in the league.  Plus what are his wages, 60k a week? You won't get better for the same wages or without a sizable fee.

Edited by Barry Bridges

Guest Sindre

In top form he is the better right back out of him and Azpi. Hasn`t been the case this season though but he is a great player and i expect to see him starting again next season. Azpi has been better this season though.

Ivan is the best centre back we have apart from Terry on his day.

This thread is full of knee jerk reactions (hardly surprising though).

Was only a few months ago loads on here were saying he is a future captain for the club...

Everyone's worried about the man's form. He was the joint top scorer early in the season and was a beast with Robbie in charge, most of the time anyway. Now with Dave adapted he's found himself down the pecking order.

My worry isn't his form and I don't think he's been particulary bad this term apart from Swansea. I'm worried the club is not realizing how important he is and let him go...

• 1 month later...

Take a bow! Ivanovic' header was a beaut and what a time to score. European final and in the last minute the winning goal. Experts all over are creaming over how brilliant the header was and it surely was.

Had a difficult season but it got really sweet at the very end. Hope he stays the remainder of his career(at least I hope this is his only Prem club). As I've said tons of times in the past one of the best buys we've made over the years.

Over 200 appearances in a blue shirt, the word stalwart is befitting of a man so integral to our side over the past half a decade.

Branislav+Ivanovic+Chelsea+v+SL+Benfica+

King of dourness, kind of headers, king of Serbia, king of Europe, Branislav 'two goal' Ivanovic!

Edited by Lofty 1905