Branislav Ivanovic - Your Views?

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

Ivan isnt a right back. He has been doing a good job filling in, but he is quite clearly a CB. His problem is inconsistency and lack of concentration. He has always been like this. One game he is a complete boss and the next he cant mark his own shawdow and seems completely unaware of his surroundings. I thought overall he played well last night, but then he almost gave it away in the dying minutes by beeing completely nonchalant. Luckily Cahill was there to block it. This problem seems to have effected our engire back li e for a while though, on their best day they are great and then all of a sudden there are games were it gets dangerous every time the ball crosses midfield.

Edited by Xfaxtor

The man is a beast !

He deserves it more than anyone, People forget this is the man who had to marshall a makeshift defence against barcelona with bosingwa and ramires ! he was so so so immense that night, and for him to pick up a yellow and then get told live that he wouldn't be playing in the final, it was heartbreaking to see his face.

A top man and a top player.

One of my favorite players.

Absolute monster on the pitch and the nicest guy you could meet off the pitch. The man may look big and scary but really he's a teddy bear. His son scoring that goal after winning the premier league was adorable as well. He also dealt with the Suarez bite with dignity. Could have lashed out at the c**t and I wouldn't have blamed him, but he was top notch through the whole thing.

Edited by JoeyN

Love Ivanovic. I love how he has totally bought into Chelsea FC, if you know what I mean. He's an integral part of our club now and a strong voice in the squad. At Chelsea we have been so lucky to have a lot of players who just 'fit' and take the club to heart. Just like Cech, Drogba, Cole and obviously Terry and Lampard, I feel this about Ivanovic, Luiz, Mata too.

It's weird to think Ivanovic has never played under Mourinho but he has the spirit and winning mentality that Jose put into the club and the original Mourinho players.

• 2 months later...

Got linked the video of that twat Geoff Shreeves telling him he couldn't play in the CL final again yesterday, made me feel a lot better seeing these pictures of him celebrating with the trophy, fitting that he got to score the last minute winner after missing the final the year before through such a sh*t yellow card.

Jose Mourinho talked a lot last night and his quotes are a goldmine of
information at the moment. We've already covered his comments on David Luiz at length, but the poofy-haired Brazilian wasn't the only
defender that the Special One ran the rule over. Here's what he had to say about Branislav Ivanovic:

I know Ivanovic is very comfortable in the centre but I see him and Cesar Azpilicueta as our two right backs. Our defensive
group will be good.

-Source: Daily Mail.

I'll pop along in a few hours with my thoughts on the matter, but thought I'd open the question up for the community first. Which position would everyone rather see the Serbian man-bear play? He's excelled at Chelsea
as a right back for several managers, but was instrumental at centre half for us under Rafael Benitez as the interim manager tightened up the defence towards the end of last season. We've seen Mourinho's (somewhat surprising) opinion, but what think we all?

http://www.weaintgotnohistory.com/2013/7/20/4540560/branislav-ivanovic-best-position

I think it's an ideal pairing to be honest, one defensively solid yet lacking on the ball a bit, but a threat at set pieces. The other less solid defensively but much more attacking and pacey. Gives us a great pair of right backs for every occasion.

I'd have Ivan as CB alongside Luiz

The fact that he can fulfil both roles seamlessly is just one of the many things I love about him.

Quality player, captain dour, an icon for stern faced tall people the world over (I am, evidently, a fervent devotee).

• 1 month later...

I think it's an ideal pairing to be honest, one defensively solid yet lacking on the ball a bit, but a threat at set pieces. The other less solid defensively but much more attacking and pacey. Gives us a great pair of right backs for every occasion.

Exactly, I think it is really important to have squad depth like this. Something we experienced first-hand just a few short years ago with the troubles involved in carrying a short crew. Talent only gets ya so far when the legs are tired.