Essien - Stay or go?

Sell him while we can. I believe I'm correct in saying he's on high wages and he's just had a decent season with Real Madrid. At the moment he's still worth something as an experienced and versatile player. If he stays its unlikely he'll play much (unless we get loads of injuries) so I think its best we sell him now while he's still worth something. 

Go.

I don't think he will i think Mourniho will want to keep him.Its hard to see Essien the way he is i just love to remember Essien in his prime which was a fantastic sight.He wages means he is on too much to be a squad player,i don't see him getting in the team or getting enough games.

Essien still hasn't really emerged from the shadow of his injuries based on what I've seen of Real Madrid this season. José clearly still rates him enough to use him as a utility man in Spain but I would imagine his reduced physicality will be more of a problem in the Premier League. We are short on numbers in central midfield and as much as I love Essien and appreciate everything he has done for us, his wages are relatively high and I can't see him getting any better; I think he should move on.

It's a crying shame, Essien was ridiculous at his peak, one of the best midfielders on the planet.

I think people are being really harsh.

I think he still has something to offer to the team. He is better than Mikel. He can cover a number of positions. I would keep him for another season unless we go and buy someone like De Rossi.

Also it wouldnt be that easy to get rid of him. Who would buy him and pay him the wages he is currently on? Maybe Monaco.

I'd rather we dumped mikel than essien to be honest. Essien was the best midfielder on the planet at one stage, he's lost a bit of his physicality but his technique is still there. Given our issues with central midfield this season i'd rather we kept him for the holding role. It's nice to have a good tackling player there, and who knows maybe with a bit of work he can recover a bit of his form. I'd be sad to see him go, but if he does it isn't the end of the world

I think people are being really harsh.

I think he still has something to offer to the team. He is better than Mikel. He can cover a number of positions. I would keep him for another season unless we go and buy someone like De Rossi.

Also it wouldnt be that easy to get rid of him. Who would buy him and pay him the wages he is currently on? Maybe Monaco.

They'd probably give us a decent fee for him too...which may be reason enough to sell him..

It's a shame, because for a number of years, he was genuinely my favourite player...and it was gutting to see him decline like he did...but I don't know he can give us the value of his wages if he stays, but if he does, I will cheer him on nonetheless.

Probably one of my favorite players of the abramovich era.

Hope he stays for the remainder of his contract. Selling him for 7 or 8 million isn't worth it. The versatility he gives is excellent and he's much better than Mikel. Let's sell Mikel instead.

watched him a few times for Real, he didnt look out of place, Jose wouldnt have played him based upon sentimentality, he would make a better squad player than Rat face thats for sure

however if a good offer comes in...........go

He's clearly not the player he used to be but he can still be a useful player to have in the squad. I can't see there being a queue of clubs wanting to take him either at his current salary.

I have another idea, maybe we can try and force him to take a pay cut, and if he refuses banish him to the under 21s to teach him a lesson, like with Malouda?

Edited by bluedave

He's clearly not the player he used to be but he can still be a useful player to have in the squad. I can't see there being a queue of clubs wanting to take him either at his current salary.

I have another idea, maybe we can try and force him to take a pay cut, and if he refuses banish him to the under 21s to teach him a lesson, like with Malouda?

Except that's not what happened with Malouda.

Wasn't there a rumour going around a while back that he (and other African players) had lied about their age when they were starting out in football? And that could perhaps be an explanation for his injury problems and lack of fitness (that he's actually 4-5 years older than we all think he is)?

It's well known that Kanu is actually 62 but is passing himself off as a 35 year old. Mind you, that's not surprising given that Obafemi Martins maintained his age of 18 for all 6 years at Inter and someone like JJ Okotcha is, apparently, 10 years older than his 'official' age.

Jokes aside, whilst Essien might've lied about his age, I think anyone would struggle to reach their physical peaks after repeatedly blowing out you're knee ligaments (see Ledley King as a prime example)

Edited by BaneIvanovic