mojo

VAR in 2019/20

Very good........now the likes of spurs etc wont get pens left right and center all the time. It can easily work as long as they dont make a meal out of it........it shouldnt take more than 15sec at max to decide whether this or that.

Excuse my ignorance but when is it used. Can it be used for play acting? Who calls for it to come into play? and isn't it subjective as to how you see it. The punters on tv still differ on decisions after watching it many times over in super high def. slow motion.

15 hours ago, atomis said:

it shouldnt take more than 15sec at max to decide whether this or that.

I'm with Atomis on this. We've had various forms of replay in the US for a long time, and I've consistently said the same thing over and over... there should be a 30 second time limit on it (AT MOST). If it takes longer than 30 seconds to review, than it isn't clear and obvious. Replay isn't meant to regulate the game, it's to fix a clear and obvious error.

if it takes longer than 30 seconds, it's not clear and obvious.

I thought VAR worked well in the World Cup. It went quickly and fixed some mistakes on the pitch.

22 minutes ago, Kev56 said:

Excuse my ignorance but when is it used. Can it be used for play acting? Who calls for it to come into play? and isn't it subjective as to how you see it. The punters on tv still differ on decisions after watching it many times over in super high def. slow motion.

VARs can only be used in four game-changing situations when there is a possibility of a clear error: for goals, penalties, red cards and cases of mistaken identity. The VAR can advise the referee of an error and the referee can also consult replays himself on a pitch-side monitor.

I’m one of the few who detest VAR. 

Hazard goes done the wing, beats three players, great cross to Morata who’s sprinted forty yards, diving header, great goal and the crowd goes nuts! Hang on everybody, don’t cheer just yet, let’s just see if anyone was offside, interfering with play, did anyone say something they shouldn’t have etc. etc.

Bang goes the excitement, the spontaneity. I read once that Abramovich loves football because it’s unpredictable, the ref may of had a row with his wife that morning. Please don’t ruin this beautiful game.

It will only be stopped if the people in the control room signal it was offside. As it is we could of had a legitimate penalty against Everton had VAR been in place. I feel we get a lot of bad decisions and a lot of the big 6 get many dodgy decisions going their way. So im all for VAR, but it does need to be a speedy process.

17 minutes ago, Oli said:

It will only be stopped if the people in the control room signal it was offside. As it is we could of had a legitimate penalty against Everton had VAR been in place. I feel we get a lot of bad decisions and a lot of the big 6 get many dodgy decisions going their way. So im all for VAR, but it does need to be a speedy process.

Yeah, but if it's anything like last season in the F.A cup, we will still get bad decisions made against us. Against Norwich, Willian was fouled in the penalty area, we should have had a penalty, the ref booked him for diving and the people in charge of VAR didn't even bring it to the attention of the ref. The same thing happened at the end of the game with Morata who was also booked for diving.

I have always said that I like the idea of VAR, but I don't like how it's used.

20 hours ago, zinc alloy said:

I’m one of the few who detest VAR. 

Hazard goes done the wing, beats three players, great cross to Morata who’s sprinted forty yards, diving header, great goal and the crowd goes nuts! Hang on everybody, don’t cheer just yet, let’s just see if anyone was offside, interfering with play, did anyone say something they shouldn’t have etc. etc.

Bang goes the excitement, the spontaneity. I read once that Abramovich loves football because it’s unpredictable, the ref may of had a row with his wife that morning. Please don’t ruin this beautiful game.

I take that any day of the week than the BS we go through every single week home and away. Not to mention our rivals getting goodies almost on a weekly basis........they f**ked VAR up on purpose in ENg so they could continue their BS, it works decently in GErmany and Italy.

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

Yeah, but if it's anything like last season in the F.A cup, we will still get bad decisions made against us. Against Norwich, Willian was fouled in the penalty area, we should have had a penalty, the ref booked him for diving and the people in charge of VAR didn't even bring it to the attention of the ref. The same thing happened at the end of the game with Morata who was also booked for diving.

I was going to mention this tbf too but forgot. It seems even VAR we get screwed haha. The ref that day chose completely not to use it and every decision cost us...even though we eventually won.

2 hours ago, Scott Harris said:

I was going to mention this tbf too but forgot. It seems even with VAR we get screwed haha. The ref that day chose completely not to use it and every decision cost us...even though we eventually won.

In 2-3 years time we will wonder how the hell we managed without it. The officials need time to get used to it, mistakes will be made i'm sure, but it can't be any worse than it is now. Play will only be stopped for normal stoppages, VAR will be used in these stoppages, so all the refs need to do is get quick with it. 

VAR officials 'off pitch' need to be consistent from game to game, and more importantly with each other, they all need to be reading from the same book. I think the key thing they should ask themselves is this, if you need to ask yourself if the incident is 'clear and obvious' on video, then it probably isn't.

12 hours ago, kiwi1691 said:

VAR is trash, a big backwards step for the premier league.

Yes im sure we have all enjoyed the utter f**kery we have witnessed for years and years with these incompetent refs........it has been so so bad with every single ref in Eng......and its getting worse game by game. If Fa gave a f**k ( they dont ) they would have demoted all of them to a lower League and the lower League moving to the EPL, just like France did some years ago. Theres a reason no Eng ref were present at the World cup.

3 hours ago, kiwi1691 said:

No, what a ridiculous comment. 

I'm still not sure you're serious. And if you are, well, i'm surprised anyone could be against it given how well it worked at the world cup. 

I don't think it worked all that well at the world cup.

In some instances, yes, but then we had others were there were long stoppages, only for the referee to make the wrong decision anyway. And I agree with what someone else said, about it taking the excitement out of goals, while you wait around to see if there was an offside or anything which will then call it back, since the linesmen are told not to flag if its close and let VAR deal with it.

Everytime referee makes a decision, players will be all around him asking for VAR. Some referees won't be making the tough decisions at all, just wait for the VAR. I don't think it will help at all, in fact over use of TV replay just make people lose more faith in the referees and be grumpy about every decisions on the field.

8 hours ago, RMCM said:

I'm still not sure you're serious. And if you are, well, i'm surprised anyone could be against it given how well it worked at the world cup. 

VAR did go well at the world cup, but I have seen it work poorly many times in other leagues. An example wold be the A League, where the use of VAR has gone poorly.

http://www.espn.com.au/football/australian-a-league/0/blog/post/3675095/a-league-opening-weekend-dominated-by-var-controversies

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/a-league/the-sunday-shootout-panel-slam-var-after-round-one-of-the-201819-aleague-season/news-story/f0e6d2daf277b7fbde80a18b04eed68c

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/football/2018/10/21/var-a-league-controversy/

http://www.espn.com/soccer/australian-a-league/story/3485598/a-league-grand-final-var-controversy-down-to-technical-failure-ffa

Hence why I am sceptical of VAR.

1 hour ago, kiwi1691 said:

The technology is there but it still has to be used correctly.

FIFA got it spot on in the summer - very rare for them I must admit. However it seemed all the referees were very well prepared/trained to use it.

I'm convinced the officials will get better at using it the more it is used.

Looking forward to more decisions being correct next season...

5 hours ago, Nickcook26 said:

The technology is there but it still has to be used correctly.

FIFA got it spot on in the summer - very rare for them I must admit. However it seemed all the referees were very well prepared/trained to use it.

I'm convinced the officials will get better at using it the more it is used.

Looking forward to more decisions being correct next season...

Have you not seen how poor the reffing is in the Premier League?