Jump to content

Best manager of the decade 2010-2019


Gol15

Recommended Posts

Honorable mentions for these legendary people that were in charge in 2009, or in a short period during the decade:

The late Ray Wilkins

CsTPLGpWIAAGukL.jpg

Guus Hiddink

Guus-Hiddink-643681.jpg

 

 

The options:

1. Don Carlo Ancelotti

Premier League: 2009–10

FA Cup: 2009–10

FA Community Shield: 2009

carlo-ancelotti.jpg

 

2.  André Villas-Boas

-

3. Roberto Di Matteo

FA Cup: 2011–12

UEFA Champions League: 2011–12

Roberto-Di-Matteo.jpg

 

4. Rafael Benítez

UEFA Europa League: 2012–13

rafa-benitez-chelsea.jpg?w=640&h=480&aut

 

5. José Mourinho

Premier League: 2014–15

Football League Cup: 2014–15

jose-mourinho-chelsea-manchester-city_33

 

6. Don Antonio Conte

Premier League: 2016–17

FA Cup: 2017–18

Antonio-Conte-Chelsea-769165.jpg

 

7. Maurizio Sarri

UEFA Europa League: 2018–19

EFL Cup runner-up: 2018–19

Maz.jpg

 

*Didn't take in count Steve Holland, sorry.
**Didn't take in count Sir Frank Lampard, his decade is just starting obviously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


39 minutes ago, romfordblue said:

Obviously Jose is the best around but Don Carlo did the double and was forced who to play. The legend won the champions league with half a reserve team (and injured). All deserve to win.

Really? When was that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Argo said:

As for the best manager, it's Conte without any question.

As much of a c**t he was at the end his performance in 16/17 blows any other manager this decade out of the water, he did almost everything right that season.

I wish wish wish he wasn't as petulant as he was, but I also wish that we had a proper DoF with the club to help guide the required vision that we had/Conte had, which included guidance with transfer targets that might have been questionable. Recognising that Candreva has some qualities that Conte may have liked,  but then suggesting a player who might have had those characteristics and much more too. 

2.5 years ago we were BETTER than Liverpool and pretty much equivalent with Man City. We should be similar to where they are, not several tiers in difference . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Conte easily the best for me. That is best drilled side we had since 04-06. 

I think the club let him down with some of the signings following the title win. £230m spent, but somehow ended up with a weaker team. 

He didnt help matters either with costa, and the constant public digs at the board. 

Real pity, because i think had we made better decisions in the market, he would still be here now, and we wouldnt be so far off liverpool. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, MANoWAR said:

I wish wish wish he wasn't as petulant as he was, but I also wish that we had a proper DoF with the club to help guide the required vision that we had/Conte had, which included guidance with transfer targets that might have been questionable. Recognising that Candreva has some qualities that Conte may have liked,  but then suggesting a player who might have had those characteristics and much more too. 

2.5 years ago we were BETTER than Liverpool and pretty much equivalent with Man City. We should be similar to where they are, not several tiers in difference . 

Im not sure tbh, Conte's record in the market is historically sketchy at best (the fact he brought Alexis to Inter says it all) and if as it appears to be he wants it his way with no compromise then what can we do?

Regarding the difference between us and City/Liverpool, I think 15/16 has done a lot more damage than we thought, not only did a lot of players turn to sh*t permanently (Ivan, Matic, Oscar) it was coming upto the time the go to brand of football (to compete) was changing in this country, Conte came up with the ultimate short term fix to catch the league flatfooted but after that couldn't compete with City or even Liverpool. We did the right thing appointing Sarri in 2018 and commiting to a switch in style but it's going to take a bit of time before we can compete with the big two over 38 games, I'm confident we will get there eventually though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I found this on twitter (just to add that I fully and unconditionally back Frankie) and I thought it was interesting:

Don Conte had the best start in the last decade, he really was our lion. Though I can't choose who would be my pick because till this day I don't understand why Don Carlo was sacked.

interesting.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...

Hard question to answer, and you can make a case for the following managers who all won two trophies with us in their stints:

  • Ancelotti
  • Di Matteo
  • Mourinho
  • Conte

Ancelotti = The only manager to win the PL and FA Cup double, which he achieved in 2010. However, the second season was very flat compared to his first, and much of the good work in his first season happened in 2009.

Di Matteo = Won us the FA Cup and Champions League and will forever be immortalized in Chelsea folklore. Though, he was the weakest manager overall out of the above four listed.

Mourinho = His third season with us overshadows the good work he did in the first two. Won us both the PL and League Cup but this stint was nowhere near as good as the first, but he did provide some good highlights along the way. We stopped Liverpool winning the title in 2014 and the brand of football we played in the second half of 2014 was excellent. If anything, 2014 was the best calendar year we had in terms of W-D-L record since 2005.

Conte = Perfect first season winning us the PL, though his second season was tough to watch but he did win us an FA Cup in the end so it was not all bad.

It's between Mourinho and Conte, but I give the nod to Conte.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not being salty but I can't give it to Jose because even though we won the title in 14/15 he could have done it more easily and his doggedness in not rotating cost us in the following season, this was the team that had enough quality to win the CL as well but we couldn't beat 10 man PSG because of his dogged tactics.
15/16 was a sh*t show and he caused the unnecessary rift with Eva which cost the club in legal fees and more headache.
Not holding this against him really but in 13/14 we could've won the title, maybe we could've done it with Lukaku instead of Eto'o, but for sure refs cost us a real chance at the title.
He sold KDB as well..

Conte turned chumps into champs, revolutionised the season with 3-4-3, I've never seen so many teams mirror our formation just not to lose, Spurs and Arsenal actually adopted it for parts of the season against other teams.
Yeah the second season wasn't great but we did win the FA Cup, with better signings we could've done better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, sonic90 said:

Not being salty but I can't give it to Jose because even though we won the title in 14/15 he could have done it more easily and his doggedness in not rotating cost us in the following season, this was the team that had enough quality to win the CL as well but we couldn't beat 10 man PSG because of his dogged tactics.
15/16 was a sh*t show and he caused the unnecessary rift with Eva which cost the club in legal fees and more headache.
Not holding this against him really but in 13/14 we could've won the title, maybe we could've done it with Lukaku instead of Eto'o, but for sure refs cost us a real chance at the title.
He sold KDB as well..

Conte turned chumps into champs, revolutionised the season with 3-4-3, I've never seen so many teams mirror our formation just not to lose, Spurs and Arsenal actually adopted it for parts of the season against other teams.
Yeah the second season wasn't great but we did win the FA Cup, with better signings we could've done better.

Good points.

Mourinho of the 2000s was a different beast and clearly the best manager of the decade by a country mile.

Conte is our best manager of the 2010s. His ability to switch to the 3-4-3 formation and win us a title off the back of it was transformative.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, sonic90 said:

Not being salty but I can't give it to Jose because even though we won the title in 14/15 he could have done it more easily and his doggedness in not rotating cost us in the following season, this was the team that had enough quality to win the CL as well but we couldn't beat 10 man PSG because of his dogged tactics.
15/16 was a sh*t show and he caused the unnecessary rift with Eva which cost the club in legal fees and more headache.
Not holding this against him really but in 13/14 we could've won the title, maybe we could've done it with Lukaku instead of Eto'o, but for sure refs cost us a real chance at the title.
He sold KDB as well..

Conte turned chumps into champs, revolutionised the season with 3-4-3, I've never seen so many teams mirror our formation just not to lose, Spurs and Arsenal actually adopted it for parts of the season against other teams.
Yeah the second season wasn't great but we did win the FA Cup, with better signings we could've done better.

I agree with all of it apart from the fact we would have won it with Lukaku instead of Eto'o. Eto'o's contributions that season were criminally underrated and I think we may have actually won it had he not got injured against Arsenal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Jezz said:

Good points.

Mourinho of the 2000s was a different beast and clearly the best manager of the decade by a country mile.

Conte is our best manager of the 2010s. His ability to switch to the 3-4-3 formation and win us a title off the back of it was transformative.

I actually think Conte (the motivated version) is up there with 00s Jose, atleast domestically, that's what makes what he did at the end all the more difficult to accept.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, Argo said:

I agree with all of it apart from the fact we would have won it with Lukaku instead of Eto'o. Eto'o's contributions that season were criminally underrated and I think we may have actually won it had he not got injured against Arsenal.

Yeah that's why I said I don't really hold it against him, it was a maybe kind of thing. The striker situation was delicate but we were a striker away from having a great chance at the title. Lukaku had proved himself enough but we know Jose and his youth allergy. Torres was untouchable as Roman's pet signing so he really should have sold Ba and told Lukaku that he will play significant minutes. Also at the time Eto'o was coming in from basically retirement in the Russian league and we didn't know how good he would be. In any case without hindsight of how much of a big time charlie knobhead Lukaku would be, it was a mistake selling him if we're gunning for the title.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sonic90 said:

Not being salty but I can't give it to Jose because even though we won the title in 14/15 he could have done it more easily and his doggedness in not rotating cost us in the following season, this was the team that had enough quality to win the CL as well but we couldn't beat 10 man PSG because of his dogged tactics.
15/16 was a sh*t show and he caused the unnecessary rift with Eva which cost the club in legal fees and more headache.
Not holding this against him really but in 13/14 we could've won the title, maybe we could've done it with Lukaku instead of Eto'o, but for sure refs cost us a real chance at the title.
He sold KDB as well..

Conte turned chumps into champs, revolutionised the season with 3-4-3, I've never seen so many teams mirror our formation just not to lose, Spurs and Arsenal actually adopted it for parts of the season against other teams.
Yeah the second season wasn't great but we did win the FA Cup, with better signings we could've done better.

Personally I think Jose had the squad to win the league 3 years on the trot. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

One thing we will never know was if Mourinho would have kept Costa motivated.

Didn't Costa initially become demotivated under Jose? There was this big thing at the time of how Hiddink rejuvenated him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!