Jump to content

Chelsea v Sevilla (CL) Tue 20th Oct 2020 20:00 GMT


Recommended Posts


I’ll take the point. Lots of work to be done. We used to be a formidable team, regulars in the CL quarters or semi. Now we seem a little average, and others have improved. It’s a mindset and quality gap to me. 
But full perspective, this is very early days for a new team that need time. Very happy with Chilwell, Silva and Mendy - it’s so nice watching a match and not worry what Kepa night do next. I do think we lack physicality and fitness, and have a problem in midfield also - can’t quite put my finger on it but it’s not working. 
Keep pushing boys!!

Edited by PhilH930
Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, PhilH930 said:

I’ll take the point. Lots of work to be done. We used to be a formidable team, regulars in the CL quarters or semi. Now we seem a little average, and others have improved. It’s a mindset and quality gap to me. 
But full perspective, this is very early days for a new team that need time. Very happy with Chilwell, Silva and Mendy - it’s so nice watching a match and not worry what Kepa night do next. I do think we lack physicality and fitness, and have a problem in midfield also - can’t quite put my finger on it but it’s not working. 
Keep pushing boys!!

Physicality was the big thing i noticed.  We rarely won balls in the air going forward. Havertz and Timo looked very waifish. Unable to compete physically in the air at best and unwilling to compete at worst. Werner's engine looks a few ccs short at the minute too.

What Giroud has to do to play I have no idea.

On the positive side, I liked the glimpses of Ziyech when he came on. My instinct is that he may well end up replacing Havertz for a bit more energy rather than Mount as the season goes on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

One point better than where were last year, and a cleansheet is a little bonus. It's nice to have a decent GK and an experienced centre back, all the sudden nobody was panicing when the runners charge towards us and cross fly in. Offensively, we didn't offer much, Mount gave us work rate but no creativity or cutting edge, Pullisic is on the slow road to full recovery, Havitz had man marking him the whole game, and Sevilla never played high line to give Wener space to run into. Again, we never got a chance to see what Ziyech could do in a full game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Simon35 said:

That would be a dream come through if we could beat Man U, but after the spanking they got they will be out for blood. To be fair Mendy didn’t really get tested for anybody to make an assessment.

I thought the save he made on the deflection was excellent. Not just the save but the way he palmed it out of danger.  If our other keepers would even have saved it it would of fell straight down for a tap in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

My criticism of Frank tonight w as. Not subbing Werner much earlier. Werner looked leggy and out of ideas, having played a lot of minutes recently. Tammy could have come on on the hour. Other than that we were ok. You get the same points for 3:3 as 0-0 but I think we can build on the 0-0 assuming Silva and Mendy stay fit. 
 

james’s best defensive effort In a chelsea shirt by some distance. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, bluehaze said:

When we play whether I'm at the game or in the pub I'm a shouty sweary old guy tonight so nonplussed I might as well have been watching the WBA-Burnley game.

I think that might be like a lot of us, I didn’t even realise we were playing until yesterday morning, didn’t even watch game, helped younger daughter with her reading, had dinner with Mrs watching best of master chef, then took dog for walk, only remembered we were playing at 10:30pm, worryingly I’m in a wots app group with 10 other season ticket holders and not one person posted a comment before, during or after game, how times of changed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chi blue said:

I think that might be like a lot of us, I didn’t even realise we were playing until yesterday morning, didn’t even watch game, helped younger daughter with her reading, had dinner with Mrs watching best of master chef, then took dog for walk, only remembered we were playing at 10:30pm, worryingly I’m in a wots app group with 10 other season ticket holders and not one person posted a comment before, during or after game, how times of changed.

Interestingly i’m the complete opposite. The football is the only thing to look forward to for me at the moment. Then during the game I am furious most of the time because all I see are the mistakes. I think I watch football quite negatively as it goes but maybe a bit spoilt as i was born in the 90’s.

I thought Mendy, James, Silva & Chilwell stood out. I feel like Mount was played on the left as Frank saw their right side as particularly dangerous and they did attack down that side predominantly. Maybe he said to Pulisic have a little go after half time and try nick a goal but then move back if it doesn’t bear fruit. Pulisic looked like our best player in those moments.

I wasn’t impressed with Ziyech at all but he’s barely played for 10 months. He looks a player to me that when on song and clicking with other players he’ll be a joy to watch but then sulky and frustrated with how “crap” his team mates are when not. I’m excited about him though.

Havertz anonymous. Midfield balance still off. Werner put a shift in but not much else. Giroud not getting any minutes baffles me. 

We look like all we’ve trained is defence over the last few days and that’s quite plausible. But imagine how many actual sessions Frank has with the team between a Saturday and Tuesday game. Probably not many. We’ll keep plugging away and hope Silva doesn’t get injured. I thought he’d done his groin at the end there.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never felt so positive about a 0-0. I even enjoyed watching.

Over all I thought Seville looked a real good side and they played through our press quite easily sometimes. Had Frank not worked on defence in the lead up I think we would have got spanked. We didn't though and we got men behind the ball. Kante and Jorginho did their job but I do worry about Jorge's strength, fitness and discipline. His passing wasn't up to its best last night and he really ran the chance of getting sent off. I would drop him and replace him with Kovacic, who made a difference when he came on. His runs through midfield and tackling were excellent.

If we stop a team as good as Seville from scoring it proves we can defend if we set our minds to it. We have previously proven we can attack so all we need to do now is combine the two. 

Simples.

Seriously though, I think we need to focus on the defending and not go back to conceding multiple goals. I'll take a 0-0 at Old Trafford over a 3-3 at the moment. We need to build on this clean sheet and get some confidence into the defense. We have got used to conceding and it has to change. Its been our major fault for a long time now and if Frank doesn't stop it the players may lose confidence in his ability to coach and make effective changes.

We may have to become a counter attacking side for a while. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rtwelch said:

Interestingly i’m the complete opposite. The football is the only thing to look forward to for me at the moment. Then during the game I am furious most of the time because all I see are the mistakes. I think I watch football quite negatively as it goes but maybe a bit spoilt as i was born in the 90’s.

I thought Mendy, James, Silva & Chilwell stood out. I feel like Mount was played on the left as Frank saw their right side as particularly dangerous and they did attack down that side predominantly. Maybe he said to Pulisic have a little go after half time and try nick a goal but then move back if it doesn’t bear fruit. Pulisic looked like our best player in those moments.

I wasn’t impressed with Ziyech at all but he’s barely played for 10 months. He looks a player to me that when on song and clicking with other players he’ll be a joy to watch but then sulky and frustrated with how “crap” his team mates are when not. I’m excited about him though.

Havertz anonymous. Midfield balance still off. Werner put a shift in but not much else. Giroud not getting any minutes baffles me. 

We look like all we’ve trained is defence over the last few days and that’s quite plausible. But imagine how many actual sessions Frank has with the team between a Saturday and Tuesday game. Probably not many. We’ll keep plugging away and hope Silva doesn’t get injured. I thought he’d done his groin at the end there.

I agree with most everything you have said, although I think Zouma might have been off sick when the defence was being trained 🙈😱?! Actually, his f**k ups are mostly because he’s not a very good ball player, never seems especially comfortable with the ball at his feet , ask him to run through plate glass and he’s a 10/10 man, but play a soft, deft pass here and there and he is more a 7/10? 

Silva is a worry, he took a pill on the pitch during the warm up - I don’t know why ? and I too thought he done his groin at the finish ? Like so many on here, I think he is essential for our season, so FL needs to wrap him up and keep him safe to play in the appropriate games.

I said on another thread that none of our CB’s seem good enough, often enough to play alongside Silva, someone suggested Azpi becoming the other half of a pair with Silva ? It could work although it was pointed out that there is a lack of height with an Azpi/Silva pairing, but assuming that that suggestion doesn’t get any traction with the coaches, then it really is any 1 from Zouma, Christensen or Tomori as the centre back pairing? However, given Silva’s continuance with Brazil and his age, he won’t be available for all the games, in which case, on occasion, it’s 2 from 3 ?!

Given FL team selections so far this season, I would say that Zouma is in pole position to partner Silva and I’d like to think (and hope) that Zouma has had his quota of mistakes for a while and so he gets the seat on Saturday for me - might be worthwhile someone, preferably bi-lingual, explaining the concept of ‘putting ya laces through the ball’ and explain where row Z is before the weekend ?

James and Silva were great last night and I wish it were the CF who scored a hat trick and not a defender who had to work his nuts off that gets MOTM, but that accolade goes to James I think, just because it’s the first time I’ve seen that type of performance in him and he worked his arse off last night.

What I am really pleased about, however, are Mendy and Chilwell.

Mendy didn’t do anything too spectacular - did paw away a deflected effort that was goal bound - but he just did what you expect your goal keeper to do, he seems safe and competent and the NIL against us last night will feel great to our defence and must give them confidence in the last man , the goalkeeper !!!

Ben Chilwell , I thought when we bought him he was ok, and I still do, well he’s better than ok actually, he does most everything well, but what I’m really pleased about is he is consistent - he consistently turns out an 8/10 performance and God knows we some names that are first on the team sheet !!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Well, this is awkward!

awkward the office GIF

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

emma watson yes GIF

Alright already, It's off!