Wolves v Chelsea (PL) Tue 15th Dec 2020 18:00 GMT

coco

Wolves have been poor of late and are in need of some charity too.

Assuming Mr. Glass wont be risked and Ziyech/CHO remain out. I would try something different here as I dont want to ait through another 4 hours of the garbage we have been served in the last two games.

Mendy

James

Zouma

Silva

Chilwell

Kante

Havertz

Mount

Anjorin

Werner

Emerson

The reason why we have looked abject in our last 2 games is because Lampard has been trying to fit round pegs in square holes. We have no Wingers available but Lampard still feels the need to play 433 which makes absolutely no sense. We should switch back to a 343 with Wingbacks until our wingers return. Will go for

Mendy

Azpi            Silva          Zouma

James        Jorginho    Kante          Chilwell

Mount                         Pulisic

Werner

CHilwell and James to provide width while Mount and Pulisic cut inside

Same squad with same injuries as yesterday for this match. So let me tip off the moaners and Frank sackers right now. Don’t bother watching because if Wolves show up it could be a long 90 minutes again !  I’m backing Frank all season long and another top 4 finish, and the team is in with a strong chance imo. Couldn’t give a monkeys about spuds or the bin dippers or City winning the title currently there’s a lot of football still to play, our project has its own timeline and you’re a mug if you think otherwise. Got to walk before you run !  In the meantime I know it smarts to lose matches, but only TWO all season so CHIN UP BOTTLERS !  

4 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

The reason why we have looked abject in our last 2 games is because Lampard has been trying to fit round pegs in square holes. We have no Wingers available but Lampard still feels the need to play 433 which makes absolutely no sense. We should switch back to a 343 with Wingbacks until our wingers return. Will go for

Mendy

Mount                         Werner

Giroud

I’d rather go with this as Pulisic is likely not to start. Werner playing close to Giroud and much more centrally mind. 

6 hours ago, The Don Antonio said:

Mendy

Mount                         Pulisic

Werner

Interesting suggestion. 3 at the back worked well at Wolves last year though I would suggest different personal used if we go that way.

Mendy

Zouma

Silva

Rudiger

James

Kovacic

Kante

Chilwell

Havertz

Mount

Werner

Starting Pulisic is a no for me with such a busy period coming up and a week off after this game.

I am a Giroud fan but I agree with you that starting Werner up top is best to make Wolves play deeper or risk leaving lots of space that his pace would kill them over. 

I know he has been poor but I think Havertz and Mount would link up best with Werner in this system without Ziyech as an option.

We also need more in the engine room than Jorginho offers. We dont need a deep playmaker, we need Kovacic and Kante for energy. Playmaking will come from the wingbacks as well as mount and Havertz.

Finally Rudiger has looked more like his old self and I like the idea of our 3 at the back being both good defensively and offensively on set plays.

In this system with either yours, Munks or my 11 I would be far more confident that how we lined up yesterday.

Edited by axman2526

Difficult game for us but just as well for them, I wouldn't mind a narrow win with a late goal from Zouma here at all... If we are not to play with 3 at the back we could set up like this:

Mendy

James   Zouma T.Silva   Chilwell

Kovacic  Kante  Mount

Havertz

Giroud   Werner

Or

Mendy

James      Zouma     T.Silva         Chilwell

Kante        Jorginho       Kovacic

Havertz         Mount

Werner

Either way we need to make sure James and Chilwell can put crosses in while Kante/Jorginho/Kovacic are protecting the space behind them, Mount and Havertz should have a more free role.

We aren't going to win much without  regular goals from Werner and Havertz. Those guys were bought to score goals as much as anything else. Both are going through very lean spells. Its easy to understand why, adjusting to new and possibly tougher league etc but in the end 15 games into the season its going to be time to start stepping up.

We surely have a lot of injuries but none of them can be blamed on the fixture list. Pulisic is perpetually injured and I think we need to forget about him for lots of this season. That's hard but the soon we recognise that the sooner we move on.

Neither Ziyech or CHO have played that much either. its not over use unless its over training. The bigger worry is if Werner, who has played a lot, gets injured.

Also Giroud is not going to be our regular starting striker. He hasn't been able to hold that position down at Arsenal or Chelsea before when he was younger and he isn't going to do it now.

Tammy being younger the jury is still out but he hasn't looked much recently, neither creating nor being on the receiving end of chances.

not sure what I would do, but and its probably a dumb idea, I wonder if Havertz at striker would work or using Werner at striker with Mount playing wing. 

The best early season combo I saw was Tammy and Havertz, 

Onwards and upwards I hope.

Hard times for Frank I think. He has some big decisions, does he rush Pulisic back and risk a big setback? What does he play without Pulisic? He might have to do what he did last season and change the winning formulae. Which is a massive shame because that system was perfect for us, I think we could've even mounted a title challenge with that system if we had all of our players fit, but whatever. 

We can't play the same lineup we did against Everton though, Havertz was way out of his depth in that game, and Werner does absolutely nothing without service. 

1 hour ago, Strider6003 said:

Luiz with accurate long balls over the top to Aubameyang. 

Luiz is believed to be at odds with the manager.

Auba isn't the same player, and we aren't the same team as last season. We have a keeper who isn't afraid to rush out (probably too eager) and the Silva/Zouma partnership is 10000x stronger than whatever we had last season. We've faced far more threatening sides with a lot more pace and creativity and we've contained them, United and Spurs for example. 

30 minutes ago, Slojo said:

Auba isn't the same player, and we aren't the same team as last season. We have a keeper who isn't afraid to rush out (probably too eager) and the Silva/Zouma partnership is 10000x stronger than whatever we had last season. We've faced far more threatening sides with a lot more pace and creativity and we've contained them, United and Spurs for example. 

We adapted for both Utd and Spurs and got a point with each. 

I thought we bought Havertz to play a free role rather than shoe-horning him into a three, if we can do that and still maintain defensive integrity that would be progress. Now both Silva and Mendy have settled in you would hope Frank gives it a go again.

The last two PL matches with Mendy he has been caught out positionally which is concerning. 

Interesting how when we we had injury problems last season we had players that could step in and get the job done. Now it looks like we don't have that depth even though for a short time period it looked like we have a really great depth.

We don't really have someone like Barkley that could get a start and score a few out of the blue, RLC that could carry us like some seasons ago or Pedro that can put in a great shift.
Or even someone like Michy that could score an important goal here and there when we really needed it, Tammy doesn't do that well when he comes in from the bench recently.

Lampard made great signings but if Ziyech keeps getting injured he will be considered as a flop and there will be nothing to do about it but to find new players to sign.

Lampard needs to change the formation, with a back 3 we can count on good crosses from Chilwell and James and even someone like Alonso can get involved and he proved to be a goal threat in the past as well.

18 hours ago, ozboy said:

We aren't going to win much without  regular goals from Werner and Havertz. Those guys were bought to score goals as much as anything else. Both are going through very lean spells. Its easy to understand why, adjusting to new and possibly tougher league etc but in the end 15 games into the season its going to be time to start stepping up.

We surely have a lot of injuries but none of them can be blamed on the fixture list. Pulisic is perpetually injured and I think we need to forget about him for lots of this season. That's hard but the soon we recognise that the sooner we move on.

Neither Ziyech or CHO have played that much either. its not over use unless its over training. The bigger worry is if Werner, who has played a lot, gets injured.

Also Giroud is not going to be our regular starting striker. He hasn't been able to hold that position down at Arsenal or Chelsea before when he was younger and he isn't going to do it now.

Tammy being younger the jury is still out but he hasn't looked much recently, neither creating nor being on the receiving end of chances.

not sure what I would do, but and its probably a dumb idea, I wonder if Havertz at striker would work or using Werner at striker with Mount playing wing. 

The best early season combo I saw was Tammy and Havertz, 

Onwards and upwards I hope.

I think it might be the opposition that partly determines what team we put out.

For me Wolves play a clever game and can counter attack.

There was one match I do recall where Tammy and Havertz linked up and agree with you that Havertz and Werner were bought to get us goals. 

Without the wingers it pays to play big striker like Giroud and Werner wide and I think reluctantly Mount wide too.

I would give Havertz the attacking mid role with defensive abilities allocated to Kante and Kova so that Havertz can support the attacks rather than playing an extra CB. 

If we are not going to give him a free role with Ziyech, CHO and Pulisic out, we will never do it, IMO.

I do recall Havertz playing in that free role in the  3-3 with the Saints yet that was before we had Mendy or Silva in the team.