Euro 2020 (played in 2021)

Lukaku with a great goal from the spot, the refs making the game still tight, IMO Di Lorenzo let him go and then he just fell, very soft penalty.

Just now, Scott Harris said:

I thought it was a pen, he's shoved him over. I just wish there was more consistency to it.

There was slight contact from with his arm but the Belgian player exaggerated way too much for my liking. 

7 minutes ago, reparto corse said:

There was slight contact from with his arm but the Belgian player exaggerated way too much for my liking. 

The Belgian was clear and then just fell so in slow motion is looks like he was pushed but I think its much more likely that he simply lost his balance and then acted it out a bit...

Posted (edited)

Italy are playing like the champions they’ll probably be. They are the only team consistently playing good football. Happy as I am that Spain got through Switzerland, we were as sh*t as the Swiss and we’ll be thrashed by this Italy. But we’ve got a young team and with a good striker, we’ll become good again.

Edited by RMH

Thought it was a pen ok. First contact was ok but then the extra wee shove in the centre of the back with his elbow was uncalled for. Attacker made the most of it. 
Has been a really good match so far, two good teams. Just looks that Belgium have the better individuals but Italy have more strength and depth.

Just now, RMH said:

Italy has been the better team. They play well and grind the result when required. Belgium have been quite disappointing,

Agree, think Italy just looked stronger all over the field. I’m surprised their ageing central defensive pairing are keeping in going so well. Have they another two hard matches in them?

4 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

All speed, no end product.

He's good for 19 and can improve, not afraid to play and take people on either. Doesn't score goals though even in the Belgian and French leagues... I was surprised to learn that Rennes paid 26m Euros for him

1 minute ago, goose said:

Agree, think Italy just looked stronger all over the field. I’m surprised their ageing central defensive pairing are keeping in going so well. Have they another two hard matches in them?

It’s amazing to see Chiellini and Bonucci in their defence. The Italian teams train differently and their players keep fitter for longer, but this team has quality all over the pitch. They may not have big names, but they work so well as a team. Now, regarding the two hard matches, Spain has no team to compete just yet with this Italy. England can give them a fight in the final but, honestly, I think Italy has been playing better than England. But who knows, so far the better teams a priori have all gone home unexpectedly.

Posted (edited)

Why do we play so slow with Jorginho? Italy look excellent and he looks excellent playing at such a quick pace, so why is it that we often start games slow or go through periods where our tempo drops? I don't get it, it's a problem we have had for years now.

Edited by Scott Harris

Enjoyed some of that, shame for the SpinachZola chap, he looked special at times.

Insigne showed some great skill, did not rate Immobile.

Chiesa and Barella looked good.

Belgium have some decent attacking talent and the young kid Doku looks an exciting prospect.

Jorgu made some decent interceptions and challenges and nice to see Emerson get a run out.

Italy's attacking speed for me makes them favourites to win outright. 

They have the gamemanship side to their game as well to hang on to a lead. 

For me Thibo needed to stop Isigne's well struck goal, too slow to react. 

Belgiums tactics was all over the place. The attackers and KDB would try to press high up the pitch, while their 3 slow defenders dropped low, leaving huge spaces in midfield for Witze and Tilemans to cover. Hopefully they get rid of that clown Martinez now.

3 minutes ago, Scott Harris said:

Why do we play so slow with Jorginho? Italy look excellent and he looks excellent playing at such a quick pace, so why is it that we often start games slow or go through periods where our tempo drops? I don't get it, it's a problem we have had for years now.

I don’t know, but Italy plays a midfield of 3 and not all balls go through him. He plays more like a DM, which would have its risks in the PL, and his colleagues re more creative and attacking minded than what we have (Verrati and Barella today, more creativity and danger than Kovacic or Kante).