Euro 2020 (played in 2021)

9 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Also bizarre, given Kane's struggles, that Calvert-Lewin wasn't even a bench option ...

It was weird decision but no one will talk about it because England won and more importantly this is international tournament, you can get away with a lot of stuff offensively, it is all about your defense. 

7 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

Although I do believe there is anti-bias against Chelsea in some quarters I don't see this with Southgate.

Mount is not playing yet neither is Foden, it is the 3 at the back system.

James is losing out to Walker our fastest defender and you could argue against Trippier too yet James provides very few decent telling crosses and Trippier is more progressive.

The Shaw vs Chilwell debate is a good one and I was disappointed in the first half yesterday that Shaw did not get forward much though at times when he received the ball he reminded me of Chilwell in the same situation.

I think if we had gone with 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-3 or 4-3-2-1 we would have seen Mount yet we have gone with two defensive and mostly sitting Midfielders.

I think Saka and Sterling are better in tight spaces than Mount who is better running on to the ball.

Trippier is in the team for his set pieces. I prefer Chilwell over shaw but that is not important, shaw has been good. Grealish, Sancho or Mount should have played, Kane was struggling big time so the only thing he can do is to stay high which mean you need somebody to play role that Mount play for us. 

Edited by Bob stark

2 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Trippier is in the team for his set pieces. I prefer Chilwell over shaw but that is not important, shaw has been good. Grealish, Sancho or Mount should have played, Kane was struggling big time so the only thing he can do is to stay high which mean you need somebody to play role that Mount play for us. 

I noticed Saka was often wide right in the first and guess this was due to Southgate wanting to make Gosens have to defend. Perhaps Southgate was gambling on winning corners with Maguire's aerial ability. Not that it came off though.

12 hours ago, Sexyfootball said:

Also bizarre, given Kane's struggles, that Calvert-Lewin wasn't even a bench option ...

Southgate's a numpty. I sincerely believe that even he doesn't know what he's doing but somehow the results turns out good.

4 hours ago, Deino said:

Southgate's a numpty. I sincerely believe that even he doesn't know what he's doing but somehow the results turns out good.

It is international football, you can get away with lots of stuff. 

5 hours ago, Strider6003 said:

I noticed Saka was often wide right in the first and guess this was due to Southgate wanting to make Gosens have to defend. Perhaps Southgate was gambling on winning corners with Maguire's aerial ability. Not that it came off though.

Yup pretty much all on set pieces. Like I said before that is a very good strategy in international tournament but England offensively has ridiculous amounts of flexibility and quality, why handicap yourself when you can do more without risking anything. 

You can play Sterling right, mount left and you are good to go and you can bring grealish as impact sub. Mount will play the exact same role that he had played for us last season

7 hours ago, Bob stark said:

Yup pretty much all on set pieces. Like I said before that is a very good strategy in international tournament but England offensively has ridiculous amounts of flexibility and quality, why handicap yourself when you can do more without risking anything. 

You can play Sterling right, mount left and you are good to go and you can bring grealish as impact sub. Mount will play the exact same role that he had played for us last season

Now the paper pundits think Southgate will go with a back four for Ukraine.

That makes me think Mount might start. 

Considering that the team I root for the most on international level is already out, I really hope it will be either Spain or Italy going all the way. Jorghi and Dave both deserve a major international trophy, so I will be happy both ways.

On a second thought, I will be happy for every other country, except England, to lift the trophy. I am really sorry fellow English fans and natives, but this narrative that "It's coming home" is getting insufferable, sometimes makes me cringe even.

One can no longer react and read some news or watch some football analysis online without seeing "England on cruise control", "Southgate redemption arc" , "No way back" , etc. I just want to watch some quality football and analysis, not the infamous media bias, its not the regular season so no need to di*kride c*nts like Grealish, Sterling, Maguire, etc.