Jump to content

Chelsea v Liverpool (FA Cup Final) Sat 14th May 2021 16:45 GMT


coco
 Share

Recommended Posts

So, positives - we should finish third after a difficult season blighted by one or two major long-term injuries, an off-field trauma that no club has ever faced , and only two years after a transfer embargo that no club has ever faced. We reached both domestic cup finals drawing both after 120 minutes against what they say is one of the best teams in the world. I’d say that’s pretty good …

Negatives - our recruitment since the end of the embargo has been poor and the home-grown players have proved to be far better. It’s slightly worrying  that TT’s only two recruits, Lukaku and Saul have both been failures. 
 

on balance I’m optimistic for next season with the return of Chilly from injury, Gallagher from Palace and some shrewder recruitment than we have seen. I, for one, will be keeping the faith … again!

Link to comment
Share on other sites


13 hours ago, Petworth Chelsea Fan said:

This makes me so so angry. Reporting of fan’s booing, not Liverpool fans but fans in general. Total Bolox from the media

0DA65A66-8560-4358-8BBF-9FE3F3C31F84.jpeg

Agreed. It shows embarassing bias reporting it this way and they weren't the only ones to do so. All the booing came from the Liverpool end, 100%. The press just never seems to want to criticize Liverpool fans. No doubt it and when there is trouble in Paris they will blame somebody else. Nothing has changed since Heysel in that respect. True football fans know the truth though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, forbzy said:

Agreed. It shows embarassing bias reporting it this way and they weren't the only ones to do so. All the booing came from the Liverpool end, 100%. The press just never seems to want to criticize Liverpool fans. No doubt it and when there is trouble in Paris they will blame somebody else. Nothing has changed since Heysel in that respect. True football fans know the truth though.

To be fair most other papers reported it correctly. I was about 100yds from the halfway line yesterday and you could see the scum. I despise them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Lots of glumness around here 

season is over, maybe one more win to assure our top 4 then here we come. 
 

We are not crap in finals we are still European Champions for a couple more weeks FFS

we have been shafted this season, any other club would have crashed and burned 

And all this we are a long way from Liverpool and City, we are equally as good, they dread playing us, and if it was a level playing field this season we would have been there or there about a for the title 

New era, hopefully a small player refresh, I can’t wait 

the last twenty years have been ours Citeh and The Dippers can only dream about our record. I think the next 20 could be the same 

This cup final is a blip 

KBFFH 

Edited by andy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, andy said:

Lots of glumness around here 

season is over, maybe one more win to assure our top 4 then here we come. 
 

We are not crap in finals we are still European Champions for a couple more weeks FFS

we have been shafted this season, any other club would have crashed and burned 

And all this we are a long way from Liverpool and City, we are equally as good, they dread playing us, and if it was a level playing field this season we would have been there or there about a for the title 

New era, hopefully a small player refresh, I can’t wait 

the last twenty years have been ours Citeh and The Dippers can only dream about our record. I think the next 20 could be the same 

This cup final is a blip 

KBFFH 

while I admire your positivity, I cant agree with everything you posted. we are not consistent enough as the last few seasons have shown, and the idea that city dread playing us is laughable. this season we looked like pussycats against them. both times we were afraid to get at them, especially the home fixture in my opinion. However the rest of it's spot on. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First team to ever loose three FA cup finals on the bounce, its getting worrying. 

two losses to them this season in finals, and both on penalty shoot-outs. Not sure I can face the barrage at work today, that was a sore way to loose again. 

Seasons done, but would have loved to get one over on them before it finished! Onto next season now, hopefully the recruitment is better than it has been and we can push on because currently although the league table shows us 3rd, we are miles behind a proper cup/league challenge. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


21 hours ago, JM7 said:

Still positive signs of the team that Tuchel is building. 1 win and 0 defeats (in full time) in 5 against Klopp now. We just need that extra bit of quality and ruthlessness to get us over the line. 

I agree entirely. If you look at Saturday's Cup final in isolation, we matched Liverpool (laughingly being heralded as the Greatest team in Premier League history 🤣🤣) for the fourth time only to lose on penalties again.  If Pulisic had not missed two sitters, if we had had the steel and backbone of the past and had a player like Didier Drogba instead of Pulisic Lukaku or Werner, we would have won. No arguments !! (but that is a lot of "if's)

So I prefer to look at the positives. Today, we are still European, European Super cup and World Club Champions, we are third in the table, likely to qualify for next seasons Champions League, but unfortunately with a growing number of Wembley cup final failures behind us. This does undoubtedly need addressing, but is inexplicably linked to the other issue that we need to deal with - player recruitment.

I still believe that we have a great manager/coach in TT ! I am still not convinced that he personally chose Lukaku, he inherited Werner and has tried everything to get him playing, scoring, to no avail. We now need to have the "CLEAR OUT" that is discussed so much on this site, but rarely (never?) happens. If you look back, we have all listed the players to get rid of, Drinkwater, Kenedy, Emerson, Barkley, RLC, CHO, Alonso (think we were all wrong there) etc. but they all remain at the Club. This is obviously because the contracts they are on are prohibitive to other clubs and we refuse to pay their wages to play elsewhere.  so we have been stuck with them, while the contracts run down and we can let them walk away.

It is now essential that TT and staff have a real hard look at the Loan army, in particular Conor Gallagher, Levi Colwill, Jake Clarke Salter and Armando Broja. These lads have been getting rave reviews and even the press seem to think they could do a job for us. And the new ownership MUST give TT a couple of keynote signings of his choice. A central defender (or two) a left back, a Midfielder (prays for Declan Rice) and the aforementioned strikers, must be recruited as soon as possible so that TT has them for the whole of pre-season training.

Looking forward, I think we will be in good shape and stealing a line that I saw and loved on Twitter, "At least when we wake up this morning, we are not fu**ing Scousers"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TilNev said:

First team to ever loose three FA cup finals on the bounce, its getting worrying. 

two losses to them this season in finals, and both on penalty shoot-outs. Not sure I can face the barrage at work today, that was a sore way to loose again

 

 

Just curious, what way would have been "better" to lose again? After 22 pens? Imo it just shows that we are facing Liverpool 1v1 completely on eye level in direct comparison. There is not a lot (well, of course the actual silverware) that Liverpool can brag about when they faced Chelsea this season. They even got lucky with the major decisions going their way.

Edited by weetee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, kennypaul said:

while I admire your positivity, I cant agree with everything you posted. we are not consistent enough as the last few seasons have shown, and the idea that city dread playing us is laughable. this season we looked like pussycats against them. both times we were afraid to get at them, especially the home fixture in my opinion. However the rest of it's spot on. 

 I refer to my comment, "we are still European Champions" beating Man City in the final 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, TilNev said:

First team to ever loose three FA cup finals on the bounce, its getting worrying. 

two losses to them this season in finals, and both on penalty shoot-outs. Not sure I can face the barrage at work today, that was a sore way to loose again. 

Seasons done, but would have loved to get one over on them before it finished! Onto next season now, hopefully the recruitment is better than it has been and we can push on because currently although the league table shows us 3rd, we are miles behind a proper cup/league challenge. 

Not that I got a barrage at work, but the few who mentioned it I silenced by glorifying our women's double double. The idea that Chelsea pride is not just about the men was completely novel to them :laugh2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Valerie said:

Not that I got a barrage at work, but the few who mentioned it I silenced by glorifying our women's double double. The idea that Chelsea pride is not just about the men was completely novel to them :laugh2:

I’ve used the FA Youth Cup as a way to shut people up in previous barren seasons! :laugh2:

Link to comment
Share on other sites



11 hours ago, Petworth Chelsea Fan said:

So I complained to the Independent today about liabling CFC fans with this and here is the response. 

C9AF204D-68A6-48FC-A7DC-0A9FBE71F4E1.jpeg

Shocking journalism and Yet another "cop out" from the Leftie media. Protecting #alwaysthevictims as usual !!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, coombsie said:

Shocking journalism and Yet another "cop out" from the Leftie media. Protecting #alwaysthevictims as usual !!

Not that the rightie media is any better or doesn’t protect them…

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 16/05/2022 at 08:44, weetee said:

 

Just curious, what way would have been "better" to lose again? After 22 pens? Imo it just shows that we are facing Liverpool 1v1 completely on eye level in direct comparison. There is not a lot (well, of course the actual silverware) that Liverpool can brag about when they faced Chelsea this season. They even got lucky with the major decisions going their way.

sore way to lose as in when it gets to penalites you feel like your only a spot kick away from the trophy. If you get beat fair and square in 90 mins its easier to take than getting beat on pens IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TilNev said:

sore way to lose as in when it gets to penalites you feel like your only a spot kick away from the trophy. If you get beat fair and square in 90 mins its easier to take than getting beat on pens IMO. 

Funny, very different perspectives. For me it's the exact opposite. 🙂 

I'd rather see my team go toe to toe against the very top (each game drawn this season against the Dippers on four occasions) and lose by the fine margin of a missed pen. It eventually hurts a bit more that very moment because you were THAT close but in the end you've been much closer to the title as if you'd lose "fair and square" within 90mins. 

Edited by weetee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, weetee said:

Funny, very different perspectives. For me it's the exact opposite. 🙂 

I'd rather see my team go toe to toe against the very top (each game drawn this season against the Dippers on four occasions) and lose by the fine margin of a missed pen. It eventually hurts a bit more that very moment because you were THAT close but in the end you've been much closer to the title as if you'd lose "fair and square" within 90mins. 

can see both sides of it! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I cou

5 minutes ago, TilNev said:

can see both sides of it! 

I could imagine it being different for a player though..(I get where you're coming from ofc)..it's easier to digest a defeat within regular or extra time since you did it collectively but for the individual player who missed a pen it's a disaster (even worse than missing a sitter in the 120th min I'd say) and your teammates were in no position to help you out at all. Just guessing though, will be different from person to person.

Edited by weetee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...
Please Sign In or Sign Up

Well, this is awkward!

The Shed End Forum relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible without pop ups, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online and continue to keep the forum up, as over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this domain by switching it off. Some of the advert banners can actually be closed to avoid interferance of your experience on The Shed End.

Cheers now!

Sure, I've got it!