Romelu Lukaku

Eton Blue at the Chelsea Megastore

3 minutes ago, Ernie_blue said:

If Costa done the same everyone would be saying how brilliant he is.

Yes because Costa has already been scoring big goals in tight games. How many points has he won for Everton, that is the question. How many winners? I don't know the answer and I may be wrong, but my feeling is that he will not have scored many.

He did get a great assist and credit for that but there were several situations yesterday when he went for goal instead of finding a teammate in the better position. At 1-0.

There are lots of flat track bullies around. Lukaku, De Bruyne, Ozil, to name a few. 

Harry Kane is miles ahead of Lukaku in terms of overall contribution to their teams.

1 hour ago, ashwin said:

Yes because Costa has already been scoring big goals in tight games. How many points has he won for Everton, that is the question. How many winners? I don't know the answer and I may be wrong, but my feeling is that he will not have scored many.

He did get a great assist and credit for that but there were several situations yesterday when he went for goal instead of finding a teammate in the better position. At 1-0.

There are lots of flat track bullies around. Lukaku, De Bruyne, Ozil, to name a few. 

Harry Kane is miles ahead of Lukaku in terms of overall contribution to their teams.

No one here knows the full contribution of Lukaku or Kane to there clubs without watching every game. I watch every Cheldes game and think Costa has been rubbish since Jan but thas my point of view. 

Costa loves going for goal instead of finding a team mate specially in this bad run. His also running with the ball too much.

I get it you don't like Lukaku but no one knows how well he will do unless he joins. It's hard to make comparisons between two players where one plays in a better team and one is 23 and the other is at his peak.

1 minute ago, Xfaxtor said:

Are people forgetting the fact that you need "flat track bullies" to win the league? I mean thats the main reason we lead the league by 10 points, our dominant record over teams from 7-20

Indeed.  Whilst I disagree that it's an apt description for him, someone who rips apart the "fodder" of the league is someone who wins titles.

We already had that discussion weeks ago and it was proven that his record against big sides is pretty decent.

If you're concerned about his overall build up play, his dribbling and his touch, have you seen Costa play?

Guest Sindre

Have to say i like the idea of bringing him in this summer. Really developed into a great striker now.

I also think its going to happen.

Id take him. Costa has been annoying me since that thing in Jan. Seems his heads not in it and he's reverted back to his rolling around and arguing days of last season. 

When costa is in good form he can be amazing, but this play acting stuff is just not what i want to see from a Chelsea player. 

On 3/19/2017 at 22:39, ashwin said:

Decided to have a look at this since again, it's a testable argument. I used the stats at Soccerbase.com again, and as per your argument I went looking for 'decisive' contributions. I looked at any change in game state that significantly changes the player's team's chances of winning (e.g goals at 0-0, 1-0, equalisers, game-winners) and excluded games where they scored 'consolation' goals or late goals in drubbings. I took into account EPL, FA Cup and Champions' League games. Both players have a similar number of appearances and assists so I excluded them as well.

Lukaku has had 11 decisive contributions this year. Kane has had 12.

So Kane might be slightly better on paper, playing at a higher level and in a few less apperances, but Lukaku also stands out in a significantly worse team. I think we're splitting hairs if we're comparing the two, because Kane is certainly not "miles" ahead of Lukaku as above.

Oh and as per my previous post, both are "flat-track bullies", with Kane slightly more likely than Lukaku to fill his boots in one game, but as pointed out before these sorts of players are just as integral if we want to be competitive in the league.

Edited by SydneyChelsea

Good striker but I worry about his personality and fragile mentality. He seems to sulk very easily if he doesn't get his way. 

It's different when you play at a big club challenging for titles and cups. With much more competition in and amongst the squad.

23 hours ago, SydneyChelsea said:

Decided to have a look at this since again, it's a testable argument. I used the stats at Soccerbase.com again, and as per your argument I went looking for 'decisive' contributions. I looked at any change in game state that significantly changes the player's team's chances of winning (e.g goals at 0-0, 1-0, equalisers, game-winners) and excluded games where they scored 'consolation' goals or late goals in drubbings. I took into account EPL, FA Cup and Champions' League games. Both players have a similar number of appearances and assists so I excluded them as well.

Lukaku has had 11 decisive contributions this year. Kane has had 12.

So Kane might be slightly better on paper, playing at a higher level and in a few less apperances, but Lukaku also stands out in a significantly worse team. I think we're splitting hairs if we're comparing the two, because Kane is certainly not "miles" ahead of Lukaku as above.

Oh and as per my previous post, both are "flat-track bullies", with Kane slightly more likely than Lukaku to fill his boots in one game, but as pointed out before these sorts of players are just as integral if we want to be competitive in the league.

Thanks but the comparison with Harry Kane was not just about the ability to score decisive goals but about their overall contributions to their teams. About decisive goals out of nothing, about making the final pass when it makes sense, about playing for the team, about the ability to lead. 

I would only compare PL games. What is the ratio here?

15 minutes ago, ashwin said:

Thanks but the comparison with Harry Kane was not just about the ability to score decisive goals but about their overall contributions to their teams. About decisive goals out of nothing, about making the final pass when it makes sense, about playing for the team, about the ability to lead. 

I would only compare PL games. What is the ratio here?

It's possible that with a better team Lukaku would be able to achieve all those things above and more.

23 hours ago, Jezq8 said:

Good striker but I worry about his personality and fragile mentality. He seems to sulk very easily if he doesn't get his way. 

It's different when you play at a big club challenging for titles and cups. With much more competition in and amongst the squad.

He scored a good goal yesterday against Greece, but other then that I thought he was more frustrating then what Costa have been since january. He was drifting into offsides, was lazy to get onside and kept complaining about his service. His workrate off the ball is what worries me the most though, one of the laziest strikers I have seen at top level.

18 hours ago, coco said:

It's possible that with a better team Lukaku would be able to achieve all those things above and more.

It is possible no doubt. I hope he does. He just has a lot more to work on aside from his footballing skills if he wants to.

I share the same apprehensions that jezq8 and comtrend have voiced (or written).

I think this is pretty much done, irrespective of what I think about him, the powers that be at the club must rearlise that costa is a flight risk, at some point it's going to be one tantrum to far,  this is the prime time to cash in on him. Meanwhile there is a bulldozer of a striker who is scoring 20+ a season (again irrespective of what you think of him) who is only 24, who probably feels he has unfinished business at the bridge. I'd be shocked if costa of to China and lukaku in is not already done and dusted

On 26/03/2017 at 20:39, comtrend said:

He scored a good goal yesterday against Greece, but other then that I thought he was more frustrating then what Costa have been since january. He was drifting into offsides, was lazy to get onside and kept complaining about his service. His workrate off the ball is what worries me the most though, one of the laziest strikers I have seen at top level.

I think Conte will sort that out. He clearly has talent and under the right guidance could be one of the best. 

On 03/26/2017 at 12:39, comtrend said:

His workrate off the ball is what worries me the most though, one of the laziest strikers I have seen at top level.

If he had the positioning of Mario Jardel, he'd be unstoppable... :happy001:

7 hours ago, Jackbuchanan said:

I think Conte will sort that out. He clearly has talent and under the right guidance could be one of the best. 

That's where Conte is good at. He allegedly had fall out with Costa but the wins continue. 

• 2 weeks later...

One of the main reasons I really don't fancy him. sh*t hold up play and his moon sized ego won't let him see it. Selfish brat who thinks the whole team should suck up to him. Imagine telling an experienced CB like Williams to shush when he's trying to get your head straight. I'd lose my head if he did that to JT.

33 minutes ago, Barrettinator said:

One of the main reasons I really don't fancy him. sh*t hold up play and his moon sized ego won't let him see it. Selfish brat who thinks the whole team should suck up to him. Imagine telling an experienced CB like Williams to shush when he's trying to get your head straight. I'd lose my head if he did that to JT.

JT would take his head off his shoulders if he tried it,  he can't act the Billy big bollocks at a club this size or he'd get laughed at 

How many goals has Lukaku scored against teams in the top half of the table? I rate him, but not sure we should have him as your first choice striker. That incident with Williams just to prove he believes he's too good for the team, he will leave at the end of the season. It's not a good look, Everton won't bench him because he's their best player, at a bigger club he will get his head smacked around for that.

10 minutes ago, icecoolguy22 said:

How many goals has Lukaku scored against teams in the top half of the table? I rate him, but not sure we should have him as your first choice striker. That incident with Williams just to prove he believes he's too good for the team, he will leave at the end of the season. It's not a good look, Everton won't bench him because he's their best player, at a bigger club he will get his head smacked around for that.

Lukaku vs. other Top 7 clubs this season:

Liverpool: 0G 0A
Tottenham: 1G 0A
City: 2G 0A
United: 0G 0A
Chelsea: 0G 0A

Total: 3G 0A in 8 appearances

Funny thing is, he would be a perfect super sub for a top club, but his ego and price tag won't allow it. If we (or any other club fighting at the very top) sign Lukaku i will give it a year, 2 max until they are searching for an upgrade.